IGNORED

Intellivision with broken rf

There's always standard ribbon cable.  The solid core wires used in the white ribbon cables are quite brittle.

To ensure that it has enough power handling, you can use two ribbon cable wires per connection.  But maybe it would be easier to just run individual wires, and maybe zip tie them together for tidiness.  If the pin spacing is 0.1" (2.54mm), then this might be adaptable too.  https://www.amazon.com/Connector-Extension-Conenctor-SIM-NAT/dp/B07D8QCZQL

The other thing is to scrutinize your soldering to verify that you didn't cause any undesirable solder bridges.

• 1 month later...

Hi again,

I just received the led ribbon connector in the mail and I tried to see if I would need to remove the part where it disconnects and seems like a snug fit. 

Now I go on to my questions:

Where on the diagram is all the connections on the logic board for the ribbon cable are? In the second picture if the two circled are supposed to have continuity with each other?

Thanks!

Intellivision-Service-Manual-Schematic (1).png

20200523_174543.jpg

Edited by Polish.Gasoline
Needed to clarify.

7 hours ago, Polish.Gasoline said:

Hi again,

I just received the led ribbon connector in the mail and I tried to see if I would need to remove the part where it disconnects and seems like a snug fit. 

Where on the diagram is all the connections on the logic board for the ribbon cable are? In the second picture if the two circled are supposed to have continuity with each other?

Thanks!

20200523_174543.jpg

No.  None of those wires should have direct contact.  It looks like you have strands hanging out in all directions on those two wires.  Pull them both, clean the solder holes, and clean the wires so that they are all straight.  Then solder them back in.

The connections in question are the upper left corner of the schematic.  But note that the pins listed on the diagram are not in hole order.  They're listed in order of 2, 5, 3, 4, 1

19 hours ago, Polish.Gasoline said:

Hi again,

Thanks!

20200523_174543.jpg

Just a suggestion... You should use thinner wire.  Looks like you used swisted 18 gauge hook-up. 

If you're going to use wire...solid 22 or even better is CAT 5/6 cable.   Do not use any strand/bundled wire unless you make it tight and tin it.  The holes on these boards are right against each other and make for a very messy reaction if you are sloppy with your soldering technique.