IGNORED

looking for best/cost effective new-ish LCD monitor recommendations

tater1337

over Xmas I dragged my monitor that I use for my TI to my parents house (has both rca and HDMI) for some Raspberry Pi work, and forgot to bring it back. while I'll get it back next time I visit (when snow melts), I really should find a replacement/backup monitor. 

my original monitor was an element 19" pawnshop find that worked with the TI, currently the only ones I can find cheap-ish are security cam monitors that go for about $70. anyone know of anything cheaper?

I am also scouring our thrift shops regularly, but so far the only one I liked was $50 and had corrosion on the screws, meaning storage in a damp space.

Ideally i'd need about 5 of them, but I might just end up running 4 TI's off a RCA AV switch

Edited by tater1337
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, tater1337 said:

over Xmas I dragged my monitor that I use for my TI to my parents house (has both rca and HDMI) for some Raspberry Pi work, and forgot to bring it back. while I'll get it back next time I visit (when snow melts), I really should find a replacement/backup monitor. 

my original monitor was an element 19" pawnshop find that worked with the TI, currently the only ones I can find cheap-ish are security cam monitors that go for about $70. anyone know of anything cheaper?

I am also scouring our thrift shops regularly, but so far the only one I liked was $50 and had corrosion on the screws, meaning storage in a damp space.

Ideally i'd need about 5 of them, but I might just end up running 4 TI's off a RCA AV switch

i used one of these until recently and sold it.  It has composite, vga and hdmi.  720p under $70 new.

HERE

I really like the Samsung 910mp it does rf, composite, s video, VGA and SCART. both NTSC and PAL

Pretty much the retro-computing all in one display. 

and it's 4:3 ratio like our screen's are meant to be, on a widescreen monitor you either are stretched OR stuck with a small height and lots of black space

1 hour ago, --- Ω --- said:

You might even be able to get it cheaper as he takes offers.  Now the bad news... it's 10.1 inches in size.

mycat.JPG.41dd3879127dfacbf08621acb9805bb6.JPG

I'm SOLD!:lust:

Edited by HOME AUTOMATION
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

I'm SOLD!:lust:

So you bought one?  Full price or did he accept an offer?  When I located this one for him I was trying to follow his search criteria (new-ish, proper jacks, in the correct price range.)

If you are on a budget you can find really good DVI monitors for really cheap and just use a DVI to HDMI adapter (unless you also need audio that way). Hell I bought a ViewSonic 1080p monitor (I think it's DVI only not sure) at a thrift store for $15. (Oh I see you need composite, I'd just try and find a little 13inch CRT TV for that). 

Edited by DragonGrafx-16

On 1/31/2020 at 1:35 PM, GDMike said:

Here is my element. I saw that it had an audio jack and rgb in. It was begging for a TI connection. Shoot, it even has a modulator connection.

IMG_20200131_133302255.jpg

IMG_20200131_133315820.jpg

ha, this looks identical to the one that i put in my daughter's room for our Switch, hehe.  i bought a bigger one for my desk in the bedroom ;)

• Haha 1

Like a photo of the TI screen?

The screen is pretty nice..I dunno, I guess the only way it could be better is with a MK-II if that would even Happen.

The phone actually makes this picture show up looking bad...with the human eye I can't see any flaw except for the normal pixelation from the video chip itself.

IMG_20200203_054127905_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200203_054133982_HDR.jpg