IGNORED

Commodore 64 MKII Reloaded board S-Video fix? (Individual Computers)

seastalker

So, my real C64 weapon of choice is my MKII reloaded board currently (hmm, is MKII a reference to the game 'Snatcher'?). The S-video on the standard DIN connection works fine, but one of the most enticing features for me was being able to output via a true S-Video port and not have extra messy wires for separate Chroma and Luma. Unfortunately, the S-Video port on mine looks absolutely terrible, and I only recently learned mine is not an isolated issue.   

So far a search online (and video search) does not yield a fix for the issue.  The video "works" but the image is very muddy compared to its DIN counterpart, rendering it currently useless. Has anyone looked into this issue or know how to repair the issue with a little solder, wire, amp, capacitor or resistor, etc.? 

I have heard this before, but haven't heard of a fix to this issue. I personally do not own one of these boards. I was going to buy some time ago until I saw that s-video design on the extra little PCB. Probably the worst design I have ever seen. I understand they did it to accommodate the case, but it just looks bad....and apparently looks bad on screen too ;)

Does the DIN connector on this work like a real C64 and support Chroma/Luma? If so you can just use this breakout adapter:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Commodore-64-8-pin-AV-Breakout-S-Video-Composite/333390878364?hash=item4d9fa5169c:g:QWAAAOSwMDpdxaJM

I use this on one of my C64's and the picture is outstanding via s-video.

Yes, the DIN is the same. I use a Commodore 1084S monitor where I have plugged in a y cable that goes from S-video female input to the separate chroma and luma.  This makes it easier to NOT have to reach around the back. :) I also found a cheap video switcher also works well.

You link is an interesting tool though and I may look into that.

Even if there is no fix commonly known yet, I wonder if anyone knows what the actual problem with it is.

Edited by seastalker

Funny timing here, but I saw Jan Beta's new video called C64 Component Video Mod Prototype Testing. I remember the RetroRGB article too and like not having to mod the plastic on the case. This sparked an idea that maybe this prototype can have a version where we might desolder the s-video jack on the MKII and have this Component mod.