IGNORED

GOG client update (one ring to rule...)

cimerians

Looks like a massive update to the Galaxy client, seems you could link up other platforms and see your achievements and stuff. Launch every single game from any platform too, well except consoles but I added my Xbox Live and PSN accounts in anyway. Seems pretty cool.

image.thumb.png.c633197f41c327b0e1fa0f73740400d0.png

Edited by cimerians
  • Like 2

Been using the 2.0 beta for awhile but one thing I don't like (and frankly to GOG's credit in fair mindedness and in putting the games first), is that it doesn't put GOG's own digital store up front and center for when I want to search for an obscure older title or something. 

I'm always hesitate to move to major "upgrades" to anything.  I don't really use other gaming clients other than GOG, and i don't do any of the "social" features.  It's a game launcher and storefront for me, so I don't really have a reason to change.  Curious if it's stable and reliable, that's always the risk with upgrading anything although GOG has historically been pretty good for me on both Mac and PC.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, wongojack said:

Thanks for the tip.  I haven't started Galaxy in a while, but these features sound nice.

I also didn't really appreciate the recent changes to the Steam library, so I'm open to using another platform as my "hub."

Yeah when I saw the steam Library change I was like wha? I'm kind of getting used to it but still.

I noticed GOG now has achievements for games so I'm kind of leaning towards them lately, would be nice if they could stick in achievements for old stuff. Diablo, Warcraft 2, Ultima IV, Tie Fighter... :P

• Like 1

Playnite is another good universal PC game launcher, which I switched to since Steam was downgraded. (I use GOG Galaxy strictly for older PC stuff)

At least with Galaxy 2.0 I can finally add some old disk installed games along side the GOG ones...

• Like 1

I did find one minor issue with this new Galaxy client. I have my Origin and Steam accounts linked. Origin seems to have a problem with this because I have 2 factor auth initiated for my account so it sometimes will act like it is starting a game from GOG Galaxy and then just nothing happens. Start it up in Origin and then I find out possibly why.

Also, I hadn't played it yet but had XCOM: Bureau in my library and decided to give it a shot this weekend. But it was doing something similar to what happens with Origin games. I would click on the game to start it, I see it sign into Steam and then.... nothing....

When I start The Bureau from actual Steam I then found out the issue was the game requires you to specify whether you want to start the game or start the game in DX11 mode. I think the Bureau is an older DX9 title? Anyway, my point being that if a game has another pre-menu selection that would come up in Steam, GOG doesn't seem able to detect this and understand what is going on so the game just never starts up. I know I have several in my library that will do this or games that always pop up a box before they start showing my CD-Key each time I start them up.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Ugh, so I went ahead and updated.  Typical.  Everything completely changed, of course.  First, I can't find the store. I'm sure it's there somewhere, bu tI could only find "deals" and "wishlist".  Search is cluttered by searching every game ever, not what's available on GOG, or even apparently other clients clients, which makes it harder to find out if something is available.  It crashed once when exiting.  Half of the top of the client is a random list of console games I don't own from "what's popular with other people."  I know people like Animal Crossing and Apex, I don't need to see that in my GOG client.  I haven't seen a single benefit from the update yet.  Of course, some of this is just learning curve (like figuring out how to access and browse the gog store), but it's annoying that i have to spend my precious little free time doing it.  If you have games in other clients like Steam or Origin it might be nice, but that's not my use case.

Do I never learn?

• Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 8:22 AM, BydoEmpire said:

I'm always hesitate to move to major "upgrades" to anything. 

I always hesitate as well, but GOG didn't really seem to care for my contentment with the previous version and force upgraded to 2.0 after a reboot on it's own.  Personally a strike against them in my books. If I actually bought games on there instead of having primarily freebies from various sales, they'd actually see me start to spend less on them over this.  Of course the main reason they don't get a sale out of me directly is because they refuse to make prepaid cards available the way steam does - because no gaming company anywhere will ever be getting a credit card out of me.