IGNORED

Are eSports a bubble?

Are eSports a bubble?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Are eSports a bubble?

• Yes, they are trying to promote them all the time but I don't see them generating that much money as they claim
    • No, they will continue to grow and we should invest on them just like we should have invested in Bitcoins years ago

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

After learning about this:

Esports Power 100 Thieves Unveils Splashy New Headquarters

100 Thieves Unveils New Facility

We Built the BEST Gaming Facility in theWorld! (MILLION DOLLAR TOUR)

I did a quick research to find out more about the emerging business of eSports, even if I would never pay any money to watch people play video games.

Some say that eSports have a potential to continue to grow:

The Incredible Growth of eSports [+ eSports Statistics]

While others warn about the bubble:

Shady Numbers And Bad Business: Inside The Esports Bubble

What do you think? Could this be the next Bitcoin or is it destined to fail as interest declines over time?

Edited by IntelliMission

Not sure I agree with either of these extremes -- it's probably profitable for the people who run it, just like any big entertainment event. 

I don't think any outsiders are going to benefit from eSports, just as I'm extremely unlikely to be the next Ken Jennings on Jeopardy. 

By the time folks catch on to a rising trend, it's often too late to get onboard. Bitcoin is a good example of that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Seems like a bubble, perhaps a longer standing one like the games being abused for almost a decade now.  I still find it galling calling it a 'sport' there's little physical going on.  Watching this make golf seem taxing and intensive.  It's a growing venue though, something to watch others do, like a tv show, a dog show, a movie.  But I don't see it being some digital world series/superbowl thing.  Maybe it's like a veiled version of the participation trophy since these people don't succeed elsewhere, so looking hot playing some FPS or fighting game can make them feel like winners so it's just ego stroking for esteem.

2 hours ago, Rick Dangerous said:

I grew up playing games and that's what i want to do.  Not watch other people play them. 

I feel the same way. I have watched "esports" on television a few times, and my interest lags after only a few minutes. 

I suppose that watching a skilled player in a complex strategy game (e.g. Starcraft) may be a way to improve one's own skill, but the few examples that I have seen are just boring to watch.