IGNORED

Alpha Systems Cassette Operating System

videofx

Sadly it does not look like its been cracked or extremely rare and never been given to the preservation people like @Farb to get preserved and cracked so you could have a working backup that you could then backup at any time.

I've added Farb to this post so maybe he can help if you don't mind sending said disk to one of the team.

Wish I could help but Farbs and the guys are an amazing set of folks.

Paul..

Edited by Mclaneinc

Always wanted to get one but by the time I really wanted it I realised I had about 10 real protected disks left so 100 bucks (then) was too much for me....Dead handy though for the mass user who likes 100% real disk use..

Edited by Mclaneinc
Spelling...As usual..

IIRC the "Backup Master" utility from Duplicating Technologies (Duplitech) has parameters to remove the CP on both versions of Alpha's C.O.S.

I know that something like that works, because I sent my original disk to Carmel Andrews a long time ago.  Never did get the box of Smarties :(

14 hours ago, videofx said:

Does anyone know how I can make a backup of my original Alpha Systems Cassette Operating System disk?

Why not post here an ATR of it? Perhaps we can crack it without the original disk.

I am astonished that it cannot be copied with a Happy drive. All other titles by Alpha Systems have a not that sophisticated protection (duplicate sectors IIRC).

50 minutes ago, DjayBee said:

Why not post here an ATR of it? Perhaps we can crack it without the original disk.

I am astonished that it cannot be copied with a Happy drive. All other titles by Alpha Systems have a not that sophisticated protection (duplicate sectors IIRC).

Thats what I thought, I was able to copy Scanalyzer with Happy 7.1 but not COS. The copy protection is different, COS disk Tracks 21-30 something are unreadable by happy.

1 minute ago, videofx said:

Thanks but that KOZ's COS. I already saw that one :)

Yea, I asked about this years ago and someone did the same thing. That's a different program as you pointed out. I scanned the manual for Alpha Systems program a number of years ago.

2 hours ago, Nukey Shay said:

IIRC the "Backup Master" utility from Duplicating Technologies (Duplitech) has parameters to remove the CP on both versions of Alpha's C.O.S.

I know that something like that works, because I sent my original disk to Carmel Andrews a long time ago.  Never did get the box of Smarties :(

Do you have the Backup Master or know where I can find it?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, DjayBee said:

I will upload an ATR  and hopefully not to hard to crack.

Thanks 

50 minutes ago, Nukey Shay said:

Nevermind….

Found it in the Holmes archive here

That's a type-in listing from german magazine "Computer Kontakt" (named CKCOS in my collection). There is also COS by german "Happy Computer" magazine (named HappyCOS in my collection). And afaik, there also exist some COS programs in polish, czech or other languages...

7 minutes ago, Nukey Shay said:

The actual disk.  I think I have a supplement disk someplace as well (which contains many more unprotects).  Might have to mail this off if nobody has it...no hardware on my side.

I have Happy drive and Copy II PC Option board hopefully that can copy it

You are interested in a crack, or you want the original copy protected?

I should have a crack somewhere although I can't find it for some reason. It's not that rare, somebody should have it somewhere :)

OTOH, I would like a digital copy of that original disk :) Yes, later releases by Alpha Systems have advanced protections that the Happy can't copy (Scanalizer 3, Adv Prot Techniques, etc). Don't remember if Happy 7.1 has any specific PDB that makes a "seudo" copy that can only run from a Happy drive.

56 minutes ago, ijor said:

You are interested in a crack, or you want the original copy protected?

I should have a crack somewhere although I can't find it for some reason. It's not that rare, somebody should have it somewhere :)

OTOH, I would like a digital copy of that original disk :) Yes, later releases by Alpha Systems have advanced protections that the Happy can't copy (Scanalizer 3, Adv Prot Techniques, etc). Don't remember if Happy 7.1 has any specific PDB that makes a "seudo" copy that can only run from a Happy drive.

A crack would be good and if no crack a way to backup the original

• 1 year later...