IGNORED

What NES Game(In your opinion) Has the Best Theme Song?

bluejay

What NES game do you think had the most amazing theme song? I'm having problems deciding between Zelda and SMB2....

Castlevania series had some kick-ass themes too. 

And what about the Final Fantasy theme?

You know what? I'm going with the Mega Man 2 theme!

• Like 2

Tough call really...

I like the music on Faxanadu, That one Snake man music on MegaMan 2 (?), Most Zelda and Castlevania, Tetris C music, and the Challenger theme on Gradius...

OK, OK,  I'll just say Deadly Towers...It was that first title screen music, and a couple of the first screens that had music that really blew me away when I first heard them...Though this is likely because it was one of my first ever games for the system...

Edited by GoldLeader
I tried to edit my post for clarity, but I'm pretty sure I made it worse...

For game music overall, this would be a tough one. The first games off my head for best overall music is Journey to Silius, Blaster Master, Batman, Ninja Gaiden, and Mega Man 2

For best Nes title themes, this is the first one I think of:

Edited by 8th lutz
  • Like 2

Are we talking like title (or if title is muted) or first stage music?  Anything could be kind of considered a theme if someone wanted to twist it.  Sure SMB1 and Zelda are very easy picks, but there are some really solid game music scores.  Some you can hear a few bars and get stuck in your head like Ghosts n Goblins and Bubble Bobble, and then others you just know it's that game because of the presence when it starts up or starts that first stage like Faxanadu, Final Fantasy, Balloon Fight, Castlevania(Vampire Killer), etc.

• Like 1

I suppose the question should be asked, well asked again, but perhaps in a different manner.  Do you mean Favorite NES game music?  Or does the word "Theme" here mean something specific?  Do you mean the music most associated with a particular game or will any music from the game do?  I answered it more the latter way...

For example, if we were talking music to a TV show, "theme music" usually plays for the opening and closing credits.  However, for video games I tend to think of their "theme music" as any in-game music, (i.e. the themes that play while you play the game), probably because I remember when games had no music, then just little repetitive bits, until eventually they had whole soundtracks....

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BassGuitari said:

+1 for Journey To Silius. That game had amazing music from top to bottom. (Stage 2 melts my face.) Kinda funny how famous that game is now, especially for its music, while back in the day, I didn't know anybody who knew about it.

This game was my 2nd choice... I've owned this game for nearly 10 years now and before I stumbled on it in a thrift store (next to Metal Storm lol) I had never even heard of it.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, BassGuitari said:

+1 for Journey To Silius. That game had amazing music from top to bottom. (Stage 2 melts my face.) Kinda funny how famous that game is now, especially for its music, while back in the day, I didn't know anybody who knew about it.

I don't want to derail this thread, but I was wondering about Silius. Is it really more well known now? I bought it new when it was released, and like you said, it was not popular, but I loved that game. I always assumed it was still an under-the-radar hidden gem of the NES.

On topic, I have to give it to the entire Castlevania trilogy. By the 3rd game, it was almost like Konami was just showing off with the tunes.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 7:34 PM, Kobra Kai said:

I don't want to derail this thread, but I was wondering about Silius. Is it really more well known now? I bought it new when it was released, and like you said, it was not popular, but I loved that game. I always assumed it was still an under-the-radar hidden gem of the NES.

I never heard of it bitd despite being exactly the right age for the NES.  Now people cream their panties for that game.  I've played it long enough to know that I'll never finish it - lol.

Honestly, I always thought people were joking when they would talk about "great NES music."  I get it now, but I had to listen for the good ones as an adult.  I don't know why, but it always just sounded like there was something too "tinny" or "sour" with the NES.  I think it is because I was used to c64 music.  Now I don't think that one is better than the other but years ago, I would have chosen c64 music over NES every time.

As for my real answer to the question.  I almost need to exclude Mario and Zelda.  Those songs are so iconic now that I don't even know how to compare them to other VG music.  They've also been reused for so many sequels that they have gotten associated with a lot of other gaming experiences.

I think that from the games I had when I was a kid, I probably would have said Anticipation.  Great music with that one.  Also the music is the best part of the original TMNT game, so that might have been another answer.  I might throw Excitebike in there too.  I can hear that game over music in my head at will any time.

EDIT - 

• Like 1

I just thought of another one that often gets stuck in my head and then I have to really use the ol brain to remember what it is...I don't recall anyone knowing about this one BITD, but I could totally be wrong, but now I'm sure people love it (because It's way more fun than you would have ever dreamed)...And that's Lunar Pool!  (Lunar Ball on the Famicom).

• Like 3

Yeah, the awkward wording of the first post makes it unclear what exactly we're talking about here.  I'm going to assume the TC was looking for any game music, not just a game's "theme song" if that's a thing.

Maniac Mansion had some great music for its time, with a strong Rock soundtrack.  Where many games from that era had music that played in 45 second loops, Maniac Mansion's songs were 3 minute loops.  And really good too.  Dave's Theme is my favorite.

Double Dragon also had some good stuff.  Yeah, it was adapted from the arcade original, but those NES guitar riffs got stuck in the head easily.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2020 at 4:52 AM, digdugnate said:

I'm fond of Punch-Out/Mike Tyson's Punch-Out and Double Dragon.  I also like the first stage / boss stage music for Ninja Gaiden.

I'd rule out the obvious Mega Men, because those games for the most part have pretty fantastic soundtracks.  My faves are 2, 3, and 5.

The Double Dragon title screen music is amazing. I also love that it plays during the game's final area to get your adrenaline pumping.

• Like 2

Super Mario Bros. has the most iconic soundtrack. It's amazing in that regard. I haven't heard many of the NES soundtracks in a long time, so it's hard to say. I'm personally a big fan of the scores of The Legend Of Zelda (iconic in its own right) and Metroid.

Zelda (Title Theme):

Metroid (Title Theme):

• Like 2

On 1/29/2020 at 2:47 PM, GoldLeader said:

I just thought of another one that often gets stuck in my head and then I have to really use the ol brain to remember what it is...I don't recall anyone knowing about this one BITD, but I could totally be wrong, but now I'm sure people love it (because It's way more fun than you would have ever dreamed)...And that's Lunar Pool!  (Lunar Ball on the Famicom).

I just thought about how this song would get stuck in my head, but realized it's a little sparse on its own....Usually when it would get stuck in my head I'd also hear some game sounds then it all made sense  :)

(Like so...)