IGNORED

Atari Hotels

Metal Ghost

Atari is now in the Hotel business!

I wasn't sure if I should place this into the Gaming General area or here, but regardless:  

Atari is making Atari hotels now  from Polygon.

I had to seriously think for a second on whether today was April 1st or not.  The Polygon article does state that Steve Wozniak's Woz Innovation Foundation is part of the development team however, so that certainly lends some credibility, I think.

Wow, what universe did I wake up to this morning??

6 minutes ago, KaeruYojimbo said:

Atari is "making" hotels is an overstatement. A developer is making the hotels and paying a $600K licensing fee to slap the Atari name on them.

I get what you're saying, but odds are decent that the next Marriott you may stay at isn't a company owned hotel either, but a franchised one.  Either way, they're in the hotel business in some way, shape or form, and my mind is still spinning.  I hope they put more time, thought and care partnering with these other companies on this hotel then they've apparently done on the VCS 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, KaeruYojimbo said:

Atari is "making" hotels is an overstatement. A developer is making the hotels and paying a $600K licensing fee to slap the Atari name on them.

I'm surprised this keeps needing to be flagged. Atari can't afford to get into the hotel game. As you say, they are licensing their name, IP, etc. 

Might as well link to the Atari press release, because it contains more information, including some names of the developer. The atarihotels.com website is all "coming soon" including a swag store. I confess I would be mildly interested in a high-quality Atari Hotel bathrobe to complement my Atari Lifestyle of lounging around half-dressed, entertaining beautiful people with overpriced room service food and beverages. 

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2020/01/27/1975621/0/en/Atari-Announces-World-Class-Video-Game-Themed-Atari-Hotels.html

Hotel development and design is being led by Shelly Murphy’s GSD Group and Napoleon Smith III, producer of the wildly successful Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film franchise reboot. True North Studio, a leading Phoenix, AZ-based real estate developer — currently working alongside GSD Group with Steve Wozniak’s Woz Innovation Foundation — will develop the first Atari-branded hotel.

The company that bought the biggest name from early 1980s entertainment is name-dropping another 80's phenom, so you know it's got to be good. I mean, totally tubular. Radical!!

“We are thrilled to partner with GSD Group and True North Studio to build the first-ever Atari branded hotels across the United States. Together we’ll build a space that will be much more than just a place to stay,” said Fred Chesnais, CEO of Atari. “Atari is an iconic global brand that resonates with people of all ages, countries, cultures and ethnic backgrounds and we cannot wait for our fans and their families to enjoy this new hotel concept.”

Translated from the French Holdingcompanyese: This seems like easy money, and everyone says if you can't make a good product, "lifestyle brand" is a good way to play a weak hand. 

More than 2.5 billion gamers across the world spent more than $152.1 billion (US) on games in 2019 alone; an increase of +9.6% year on year. One of the most distinctive trends in gaming is gamers gravitating toward recognizable intellectual property. Atari Hotels will offer consumers exactly that, marrying the origins of gaming and the future of the booming industry into a fun and unique travel destination.

Pay no attention to the fact that "gamers" aren't spending that kind of money on Atari games. But maybe putting "the latest in VR and AR" under an Atari roof will add some modern credibility to the Asteroids and Centipede house. 

The daytime render's resemblance to the buildings in Iron Soldier for the Atari Jaguar are completely coincidental. 

atari-hotels-render-2.thumb.png.c69b0d89d0ae6b9a0f0398eb07645719.png

501674-s_ironsoldier2_cart_3.thumb.jpg.9bab25ced2f6b83336123e681b87c1aa.jpg

• Haha 2

I can't take credit for this, but I don't know if the FB friend who did the research on this is here on AA or not.

The domain for atarihotels is registered to a financial planning & consulting company called Vestboard. It seems likely that Vestboard would be providing those services to Atari in some fashion if they own the domain for the website to represent these hotels. Here's the official HQ for Vestboard, if you plug their address into Google:

83288273_492087938383289_328638755617374208_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_eui2=AeFPgQUNFnLErJ2S-IM0JTj9CSW2Ps2gjdG9ZaYW51D2sqs-00OCMK9U-RcT0bfLgPewac1W2v-J2us-vOCewrFhnIfSs8LTd5Xn6trq2QTaYQ&_nc_ohc=kMNhroMFnmcAX9_T5rF&_nc_ht=scontent-den4-1.xx&oh=5c58c502e2fb4e755ba7b7c92774ea80&oe=5EC353D7

Granted, it's just the domain name, but still...I have a feeling this will not end up like is being promised (knock me over with a feather)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

I can't take credit for this, but I don't know if the FB friend who did the research on this is here on AA or not.

The domain for atarihotels is registered to a financial planning & consulting company called Vestboard. It seems likely that Vestboard would be providing those services to Atari in some fashion if they own the domain for the website to represent these hotels. Here's the official HQ for Vestboard, if you plug their address into Google:

83288273_492087938383289_328638755617374208_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_eui2=AeFPgQUNFnLErJ2S-IM0JTj9CSW2Ps2gjdG9ZaYW51D2sqs-00OCMK9U-RcT0bfLgPewac1W2v-J2us-vOCewrFhnIfSs8LTd5Xn6trq2QTaYQ&_nc_ohc=kMNhroMFnmcAX9_T5rF&_nc_ht=scontent-den4-1.xx&oh=5c58c502e2fb4e755ba7b7c92774ea80&oe=5EC353D7

Granted, it's just the domain name, but still...I have a feeling this will not end up like is being promised (knock me over with a feather)

It's all coming into focus now. "Atari Hotel" translates to "We listed Michael Arzt's game room on Airbnb."

• Haha 2