IGNORED

Turbo Operating System

davidcalgary29

I'm linking this here instead of in the auction sub-form, with the hope that someone will want to bid on this and scan the manual and take a look at the device, which I've never seen before. The owner cannot sell to Canada, so I can't do this myself. I've recently acquired a turbo XC12 player (thanks again, Nir!), and some turbo cartridges, but have never seen this. The owner says that the manual is in German.

That looks really cool. We Americans never really got anything like turbo tape upgrades or hardware like this, since we adopted disk drives so quickly.

In the last couple of years I've done a few upgrades and mods to my 1010 recorder including the Rambit "turbo" upgrade to use with tapes made for Rambit. I added an auxiliary stereo I/O jack for direct-connect to a PC, portable CD or anything for both playback and record on the 1010 and exterior devices. I've also added a ready/read/write RGB LED above the power LED and I added a power switch to my 1010 since it was the model that the power LED always stayed on as long as the 1010 was plugged in, and that bothered me.

I hate devices without power switches, I hate having to plug and unplug them or connect them all to a power strip to turn them on and off. So I often add my owner switches, it's the simplest circuit there is, the work is installing the switch.

20200128_083740.jpg

20200128_083805.jpg

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 3

Hello to all:

@TGB1718

try deepl.com, is with ai and better than google.

@skr

Great!!! :-))) Yellowman has the technique to take a wav-file from the tape, further: https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Voice and Data Cassettes

@Gunstar

With respect to our Americans friends, we have donated Kevin our working prototype at the Fujiama meeting. We build a new one and on the next meeting, we will build a matrix, which programs runs with xx baud and publish this on the wiki. Rambit: https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Articles#section-Articles-Cassette

Well, 3300-3600 baud is a good value, no doubt, but the "German Autobahn"-version goes up to 6000 baud. Our friends from Poland even exeed this up to 7200! So, the ball is again @ the Americans to build a "Warp Speed"-version. Great time to come! ?

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, luckybuck said:

Hello to all:

@TGB1718

try deepl.com, is with ai and better than google.

@skr

Great!!! :-))) Yellowman has the technique to take a wav-file from the tape, further: https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Voice and Data Cassettes

@Gunstar

With respect to our Americans friends, we have donated Kevin our working prototype at the Fujiama meeting. We build a new one and on the next meeting, we will build a matrix, which programs runs with xx baud and publish this on the wiki. Rambit: https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Articles#section-Articles-Cassette

Well, 3300-3600 baud is a good value, no doubt, but the "German Autobahn"-version goes up to 6000 baud. Our friends from Poland even exeed this up to 7200! So, the ball is again @ the Americans to build a "Warp Speed"-version. Great time to come! ?

Don't blame us Americans for shortcomings of Rambit compared to your German versions, it was the bloody English that created Rambit, I just copied their design, because I found a lot of Rambit .wav files to use with them. And I couldn't find the designs for connecting Turbo 2000 upgrade to a 1010 recorder, only the XC models. Plus, with another small mod I'm then compatible with Turbo 2000 which can be faster than Rambit, but I don't recall if they reach 6000 baud.

We Americans just generally adopt faster technology than making slower tech faster. We had moved on to floppy disks and Turbo, Warp & Ultra speed upgrades for them long before anyone would have come up with the idea of turbo-mods for the Atari cassette recorders. The ball was never @ us in the first place for turbo tapes, that I know of...

Edited by Gunstar

There may have been upgrades for C64 drives, I don't know, I always used Atari. They do have a Fast-Loader cartridge by Epyx, IIRC, that is supposed to speed up the 1541 drive. I have no idea about tape, but I think C64 users adopted disk drives even faster than Atari users. But yes, when it comes to serial I/O, Atari's SIO blows away Commodore's. I just know Commodore drives are really, surprisingly slow, in stock condition, by looking up the specifications on Wikipedia and general vintage computer sites. As I'm planning ion buying one soon,

Edited by Gunstar

Did you also see this ebay auction (which ended some days ago):

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Atari-Turbo-Hard-und-Software-fuer-XL-XE-/264604368961?nma=true&si=kXdZ9pWIFxO67dQTC9gPkVCXAWI%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Think it contained quite a lot about the german turbo tape... would have been interesting for you archivists and archeologists...

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Gunstar said:

There may have been upgrades for C64 drives, I don't know, I always used Atari. They do have a Fast-Loader cartridge by Epyx, IIRC, that is supposed to speed up the 1541 drive. I have no idea about tape, but I think C64 users adopted disk drives even faster than Atari users. But yes, when it comes to serial I/O, Atari's SIO blows away Commodore's. I just know Commodore drives are really, surprisingly slow, in stock condition, by looking up the specifications on Wikipedia and general vintage computer sites. As I'm planning ion buying one soon,

Yes, the C64 1541 was incredibly slow, slow enough that the odd bit of turbo loaded tape software was faster but thankfully a lot of carts appeared to boost the drive load speed and there were even parallel devices to install in the drive to warp speed it, or Dolphin DOS as it was known, well that's what I had but there were other invented versions that did the same thing..

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

Yes, the C64 1541 was incredibly slow, slow enough that the odd bit of turbo loaded tape software was faster but thankfully a lot of carts appeared to boost the drive load speed and there were even parallel devices to install in the drive to warp speed it, or Dolphin DOS as it was known, well that's what I had but there were other invented versions that did the same thing..

Atari tape drives are about the slowest of all, I think. Stock being only 600 baud, only twice as fast as old 300 baud modems! But guess what CBM's 1530 tape drive's stock baud rate was? ...300 baud. What I've found about the 1541 drives is that because of it's DOS it's limited to 300 bytes/sec.  I/O! Fastloader was basically a new rom/dos for it and increased the speed to 10K bytes per second. The Atari 810 runs stock at 2400 baud

Yeah, you are right, of course, I'm just copying info from a different wiki-type sites, including Wikipedia, so I'm not sure where they got the 2400 from, for the 810. For the 1541 it says it's due to a bug in the rom and a work around in the C64's DOS that causes the 300 baud I/O rate, and cartridges like Fastloader replace all of that with faster code in rom from cart I guess.

But we are referring to two different things; Bit rate and Baud rate. Bit rate is simply the number of bits (i.e., 0’s and 1’s) transmitted in per unit time. While Baud rate is the number of signal units transmitted per unit time that is needed to represent those bits.

I have Happy Warp Speed 1050 and it's fastest currently is 19,200 x3 = 57K. But I think Ultra-speed upgrades are faster. The Atari SIO can handle over 100K reliably and with modification, upto 127K. 

I'm wondering if the 2400 baud "they" refer too is the transfer rate using the old Atari DOS 2 on an older 810 with older rom or something? Because those numbers were reference to compare to the 1541's speed with and without FastLoad with the original CBM DOS for the 1541, whatever that is officially called, that they refer to as having a transfer rate of only 300 baud with the original 1541 revision.

Edited by Gunstar

Yeah, you are right:

1.) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baud

2.) https://archive.org/download/Atari810DiskDriveFieldServiceManualRev1   ; Atari_810_Disk_Drive_Field_Service_Manual_Rev_1_text.pdf   7.9 MB

3.) in 2.) at: 1-3: s. Attachment:

6000 bps => 750 Bytes per second... OMG!!!

Yes, the 57K I had in mind, too.

I don't want to be a badass, but from a scientist point of view, always try to get to the original sources. We have so many cases in history of mankind, where one cat has heard from another cat and brought us all into so much trouble. On the other hand, most people prefer to live with the lie, because they can't handle the truth:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Forrestal#Death

without opening here a new topic, of course.

At the Wiki: https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Articles  we try to be as genuine and reliable as possible. Only possible with the help of all here... :-)

But even more interesting for me: you are a Gunstar! :-))) First congratulations for! You helped the community in a gigantic way! Please go ahead. ?

For me, as a greenhorn, how is the ranking? I can't see a table for this: just impression:

> 1,000 ? Stargunner
> 3,000 ? River Patroler
> 5,0000 Quadrunner
> 10,000 Gunstar
Dragon Stomper
Space Invader

1-3.jpg

Edited by luckybuck