IGNORED

c64 conversion of Crackpots has gone to beta testers

STE'86

Any chance your conversion could be ported to the Atari 8-Bit?

I know Phaeron has converted 2600 titles in the past (including Activision's own Stampede) but Crackpots feels like it would benefit from a true adaptation/conversion considering how more advanced the Atari 8-Bit is compared to the 2600.

As a reminder, the Atari 8-Bit version of Pitfall II was actually based on the original VCS/2600 code so expanding pre-existing 2600 code has definitely been done before on the platform.

When finished, the coder Antonio Savona will as usual release the source code for the game so there is no reason that one of the a8 coders on here couldnt convert it in fairly short order. the graphics would work with a bit of tweaking. most of them being limited to 16x8 and 16x16 sizes.

• Like 1

Maybe it's the language barrier but I thought: "Cool. Another conversion from C64 to ATARI 8-bit" just to find out (again) that it's not the case.

So even though most of the users seem to appreciate the info perhaps STE'86 can put an OT: in the topic of such threads when posting in the atari 8-bit forum?

Edited by patjomki

I like seeing cross posting between machine types from time to time. Speaking from a hardware developer point of view, I can get new ideas in this way. And I would think the same would apply to a software/game developer on the A8 platform, which is really what this particular cross post was more about.

So... so tired of the childish reactions to hearing about other computer's accomplishments. Reminds me of being in the 80's and 90's with the MAC vs. the PC or Atari vs. Commodore flame wars. None of it ever contributed anything of value to the community.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, patjomki said:

Maybe it's the language barrier but I thought: "Cool. Another conversion from C64 to ATARI 8-bit" just to find out (again) that it's not the case.

So even though most of the users seem to appreciate the info perhaps STE'86 can put an OT: in the topic of such threads when posting in the atari 8-bit forum?

Welcome to the weird part of "when you had chosen the Atari 800 XL/XE" .

Particular this thread points to "Flying Unicorns" , if you understand.

All that friendly "welcome my dear C64 developer" has a background.

They think of "if we do soft-soaping them good enough , they will possibly do the conversion for the Atari, too. " 

This is also supported by people who don't have the slightest clue, of what the differences between the Atari and the C64 were.

In real it is that , if someone barely learned to push the Sprites on the C64 around, he will never get the conversion to the Atari done.

This type of conversation helps to make "another" game for the C64 and dries out the Atari community.

On the other hand, the guy that wrote Bomber for the Atari, could change the available game to the content of crackpots.

16 hours ago, patjomki said:

People who are interested in C64 conversions visit there. I'd appreciate if you do not post OT stuff here.

Geez, just skip over it if you don't like it.  Computer purists are boring.  Seems like you're in the minority here.

as I said previously, the source code for this will be available when released as are the other 2600 to c64 conversions we have done already. Chopper Command, Keystone Kapers and Frostbite.

these are afterall 2600 games so converting the display code graphics to a8 from c64 should not be an immense task. the hard work of game logic has already been completed.

perhaps even Emkay who vociferously tells everyone else on here how to code their game displays ad-nauseam could get off his arse and do something useful instead of just telling everyone they are doing it wrong?

• Like 3

no each game is unique and converted from the ground up with no "emulation". the 2600 is so unique in its display method that it would be impossible to do that. The c64 and atari a8 however are not a million miles apart regard their display resolutions etc. and there isnt that much graphic data to convert as these graphics fit into a 2600 cart :)

• Like 1