IGNORED

Bounce'n'Pounce (game released)

PeteE

bnptitle.png.b248b8d314992b043d1174a1c6f2a8a8.png

Here is a TI99/4A port of the arcade game "Bump 'n' Jump" from Data East in 1982. It is written in assembly language, developed using Ralph's XDT99 tools. It runs on a bare console and does NOT require 32K expansion. It features full-screen vertical scrolling at pixel resolution in bitmap graphics mode. Use joystick 1 or the E S D X keys to accelerate/steer/decelerate, and Fire, Space bar or Enter to jump.  The P key can be used to pause and resume play.

bnpdrive.png.88362857b323f27319b1be7560730ff6.png

Colliding cars will temporarily bounce in opposite directions, and bounced opponent cars may smash against the barriers. Various cars have different point score values. Your car speed must be at least 100 to be able to jump. Jump over gaps in the road, or to avoid being bounced into a hazard. Upon landing, cars underneath will be instantly smashed. Completing a road will score bonus points for the number of cars smashed, before moving on to the next season. An extra life is awarded every 30K points.  Landing on an island awards 1000 points.

bnpjump.png.21625705bb73090a139c3a0ae60d271e.png

This game was started when I had an idea for a method of scrolling the whole screen, and I made a prototype for the 4K contest in early 2018. The prototype proved the scrolling effect worked, and then I spent a lot of time compressing it down to fit in 4K. The prototype used only 13 out of the 16 track segments, used only one season's color table, and had track data only for the first two levels, (before going off into the weeds and filling video memory with garbage.) The full game has 8 levels of 64-segment road, with more complicated segment transitions that didn't work within the prototype transition scheme. Instead of loading a new transition set every 32 rows (1 segment), I needed to allow reloading every 8 rows (1/4 segment). This is fine because the bitmap graphics mode is 3 chunks of 8 rows, so each chunk can be updated individually. Some of the original segment elements had to be adjusted to made the seams easier to fit into the transition table. The transition tables are limited to 32 entries, since each transition consumes 8 of the 256 characters. I spent some of my last winter holiday vacation working on the transition table generation, and finally got it working.  For this version I didn't bother with any compression: bank 0 is mostly program, bank 1 is track data, bank 2 is sprite data, and bank 3 is sound lists.  The music was converted from the notes in a midi file that I found.  Music plays on the tone channels 1 and 2, and sound effects play on tone 3 and noise channels.

bnpdrive2.png.71a031e0a760a553625899fb4f52aa8a.png

I grew up playing the Intellivision port as a kid, and have incorporated some of the same design elements into this version. The "Get Ready Player" and "Congratulations" screens have white text over a black background. Another similarity is that the opponent vehicle sprites are limited to a single color.

bnpcrash.png.5f9727980b97d5e17a1b7ced8a0bd8b3.png

This game is more-or-less complete.  I considered adding a two player mode, but have run out of space in bank 0.

bnpnext.png.6a0805726637e3caddecb7b065f0406c.png

bnp_8.bin bnp.rpk

bnp_ea5.dsk

Edited by PeteE
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 5

As most of you knows, i like to create labels for the games that i think I'll burn on cartridge ;) 
with the approval of PeteE I am pleased to share the label for the cartridge that I've created for this nice game.
Hope you like :) 

Cart_for_labelsMockUP.thumb.jpg.d8ed6492bde5cb7274ab5c10e048b984.jpg

BouncenPounce_Label_with_Cut_lines.thumb.png.b34a231a49d37db225934e3c6c362d89.png

Edited by ti99iuc
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 3

I need a label for my SuperNotes Express program (cart)... but I'm terrible at it.it uses the Editor assembler GROM, should look something similar to supercart, but it's SuperNOTES since it's a SRAM based editor that stores data in the cart.

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 1

On 2/1/2020 at 10:47 AM, Asmusr said:

It's really impressive- in particular since you are is not using the 32k. I would like to know more about your scrolling routine and how you load new patterns on the fly.

I'm glad you asked.  The tracks are made from 16 segments, each 32x32 characters:

segments.thumb.png.6f04f2d73ae5398d8f8c8ca22f90f2e0.png

Each of the 8 roads is a 64 byte array with each byte containing the segment type.

I wrote a C program to process the track segments in order to calculate the character transitions and data tables for the scrolling routine.

The pattern and color tables are split into 32 chunks of 8 characters.  Each chunk contains the 8 scroll transitions from one character into another character.  Some segments needed adjusting to make the seams fit within the limit of 32 active transitions simultaneously.  Another trick to minimize transitions is adjacent characters are staggered, creating the appearance of larger 16x16 tiles, seen in the dirt/rock/water formations:

AB     uses only A->B and B->A transitions, but fills a 16x16 pixel block
BA     and can repeat vertically

Each segment gets 3 sets of transition chunks (one between each quarter), and another table holds transition chunks between segments.  Each group of transition chunks is coded as a 16-bit quality, with each nibble holding an offset into yet another table of transition groups that are commonly used together by the track patterns.  The pattern/color table update function takes a new coded transition group, and compares it to the current transition group, and updates only the chunks that differ.  The transitions between two characters are generated on the fly: the pattern data for each character is copied into each half of a 16-byte buffer in RAM, then 8 bytes are copied to the VDP, 8 times total but each time moving the starting offset by 1 byte.  It is then repeated for the color data.  If you notice any slight delays or "hitches" in the scrolling, it is probably the pattern/color tables being updated.

Every time 8 or more rows are scrolled, the transition tables load a new transition group and are updated as needed, for each third of the screen.  Bitmap mode has separate pattern and color tables for each character, with each third of the tables affecting only 8 rows on the screen.  Shown here with classic99 debugger command Debug->VDP chars (F9) to see the current tables, each third has the same transition group.  The gray strip shows the start of each third, the transition from road to road.

transitions.png.8e462a6ffd66048b0b082ed597deb758.png

For drawing the screen, the track segments are split into 16-character strips, left and right side.  Each track segment contains 31 pairs of strip indices, and another table for pairs between track patterns.  The same strips will often appear multiple times in the track segments, and storing an index saves enough memory to keep all the tables in a single bank.

The strip table entries are 16 bytes, each byte being the first character value of the transition chunk in the pattern/color tables.  The lowest 3 bits of each byte will always be 0, since the scroll offset (0 to 7) will get added as the strips are drawn to the screen.

The draw strips function runs from fast RAM for maximum speed.  This code snippet copies two scrolled characters to the VDP screen table:

MOV R3,R0      ; copy y offsets to R0 (14 cycles)
       SOC *R4+,R0    ; set upper bits to strip bytes (26 cycles)
       MOVB R0,*R15   ; copy first byte to screen table (22 cycles)
       MOVB *R1,*R15  ; copy second byte to screen table (26 cycles)

The scroll offset is in the high and low bytes of a workspace register R3, and the bytes from the strip pointer R4 are SOC (bitwise-or) together to select two scrolled transition characters at once.  The R1 register points to the low byte of R0, so then both scrolled transitions get copied to the VDP.  All 16 bytes get copied this way, repeated for all 24 rows of left and right strips.  All the tables are read-only and can reside in the ROM banks, thus no need to use the expansion RAM.

TLDR; Magic.

Edited by PeteE
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Hello PeteE,

If this program runs on the console without 32K, do you use Harry Wilhelm's routine for starting Assembly code from Basic or how do you realize the execution of Assembly code on the bare console?

Regards

32 minutes ago, MueThor said:

If this program runs on the console without 32K, do you use Harry Wilhelm's routine for starting Assembly code from Basic or how do you realize the execution of Assembly code on the bare console?

No, I use the FinalGROM cartridge on my console.  The bnp_8.bin file is a cartridge image, which can be placed on the SD card plugged into the FinalGROM, which maps it at the 8KB cartridge memory space at >6000.  The FinalGROM supports banking, so additional data can be accessed, up to 512K.  Bounce'n'Pounce uses 4 banks, for a 32KB cartridge image (which means it could work with the older FlashROM cart.)

I could have created an editor assembler version that can be loaded using the E/A cartridge, requiring the 32KB expansion.  But I do my development on my PC using the Classic99 emulator, and I find that cartridge images have much faster turnaround for testing changes.  With Classic99's debugger open, I can press Ctrl-F12 to reset the emulation which also reloads the cartridge image, then press the 2 key twice through the TI menu and I'm running my latest version.

I'm almost ready to post the final version.  I have added the motor sound effect, fixed the car behavior on narrow bridges, added the score for landing on islands, and improved the sprite flickering.

Edited by PeteE
  • Like 5

1.jpg.591f9cdb0b1f8932ff37cc43557b40e6.jpg

well, really funny game PeteE :) nice job :) 
for me it willn be my preferred car race game togheter with Road Hunter from Rasmus :) 

I think i will want a manual for this game too ? working already on it

damn... what games for our TI99! 
thanks coders! :D

Edited by ti99iuc
highscore updated :p
  • Like 4