IGNORED

Bounce'n'Pounce (game released)

PeteE

• 2 weeks later...

image.thumb.png.9225499b555a157f0d5240c253d24650.png

I like it!

It seems harder than most versions I have played.

50K for not bumping?  I thought it was 20K?  But that could just be from playing the Intellivision version to much!

It is very hard to use the islands.  But that just means I need to learn the timing for this version ;)

Also I am used to pressing Q for the fire key not the space bar.  But once I found it, it was fine.

Very Nice!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 1980gamer said:

It seems harder than most versions I have played.

50K for not bumping?  I thought it was 20K?  But that could just be from playing the Intellivision version to much!

It is very hard to use the islands.  But that just means I need to learn the timing for this version ;)

Also I am used to pressing Q for the fire key not the space bar.  But once I found it, it was fine.

Very Nice!

Thanks for the feedback, and thanks for playing!  Yes, I took the scoring from the arcade version, which may not have been the same as the intellivision.  I do know you always get an extra car for zero smashed, and extra cars are every 30K.  

I'm not completely sure about the jumping distance, and not being able to control your speed in-air.  Currently the car slows down right before landing, so it makes it a little difficult to hit your target (islands or other cars.)  In later roads with the back-to-back bridge water sections, you can currently make it across both sections of water in a single jump, which may not be possible in other version.  More playtesting may be required...

Enter for jumping will also work.  In classic99, the Tab key can be used as joystick 1 fire, and that's pretty close to the Q key. ?

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2020 at 1:58 PM, PeteE said:

I'm not completely sure about the jumping distance, and not being able to control your speed in-air.  Currently the car slows down right before landing, so it makes it a little difficult to hit your target (islands or other cars.)  In later roads with the back-to-back bridge water sections, you can currently make it across both sections of water in a single jump, which may not be possible in other version.  More playtesting may be required...

I checked the arcade version in MAME and it is possible to clear the back-to-back bridge water section on road 4 in a single jump.  So the jump distance and deceleration mechanics seem similar enough that I don't feel the need to change anything.  I'm going to call this game finished.  I hope to see it in the monthly high score competition someday.

• Like 10

On 3/2/2020 at 9:48 AM, gekido_ken said:

GREAT!!!! WOW!!!  One of the my prefered arcade!!!

But! Mr. ......can it possible to have a version DSK or for NANO PEB?  (EA or XB)

I have added bnp_ea5.dsk to the first post, which will work with Editor Assembler option 5 (use "DSK1.BNP", for example.)  It works for me using classic99, but I don't have a nano to test.  I took the cartridge image source code and changed the xdt99 BANK commands into AORG >2000, AORG >A000, etc.  Then changed all the calls to the bank switch trampolines into direct branches, cleaned up any cross-bank-references, and added a terminator to the sprite list table to turn off sprites on the title screen (data left over from EA) and used xas99.py with the -i option to create the program files.

• Like 5

I discovered the EA5 version from earlier today had messed up sounds and have uploaded it again, that's what I get for not listening to the audio (visually it looks fine, ship it!)  The reason being the sound effect priorities are based on the address of the sound list, higher priority sounds have lower memory addresses.  The motor sound was lowest priority in scratch ram at >83F8, whose address is greater than the sound lists in cartridge space >6000 to >7FFF.  But now that the sound lists are in expansion RAM from >E000 to >FFFF, the motor sound now had highest priority.  The fix was to move the motor sound after the others in expansion RAM.  The motor sound dynamically changes pitch based on the speed, so that's why it can't live in cartridge ROM.  At the end of each effect sound list, it uses the sound list loop address to switch to the motor sound address, so the motor sound starts playing again automatically when any sound effect stops.  Lesson learned, too clever hacks will always come back to haunt me.

• Like 5

Ok Mr. PeTeE, I've tryed DSK format on real TI99.

When I use real cartridge Editor Assembler and Nanopeb all works fine, while if I use software version of EA loaded from DSK2, then option 5, DSK1.BNP, the game starts, but it crash at the end of 1st level...at check.

I don't know in it is normal. Actually this is the report. :)

Any way thanks for this present, the dsk format. :)

3 hours ago, gekido_ken said:

Ok Mr. PeTeE, I've tryed DSK format on real TI99.

When I use real cartridge Editor Assembler and Nanopeb all works fine, while if I use software version of EA loaded from DSK2, then option 5, DSK1.BNP, the game starts, but it crash at the end of 1st level...at check.

I don't know in it is normal. Actually this is the report. :)

Any way thanks for this present, the dsk format. :)

Sorry, I don't know how to fix the problem when using disk-based EA.  Normally a program file uses only the lower 8K or upper 24K of the expansion RAM, but the one I created uses all 32K - perhaps it is fighting over some area of RAM which corrupts part of the game after it is loaded.  I'm glad it works with the Nanopeb though.

• Like 2

One last observation.
I noticed that compared to the arcade, if you hit the truck with the earth, there is no rebound. Also there is no yellow car.
Are things possible to integrate in the final version?
I ask because the game is gorgeous, and 98% compared to the arcade.

I've joust made a videoreview (Italian language)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, gekido_ken said:

One last observation.
I noticed that compared to the arcade, if you hit the truck with the earth, there is no rebound. Also there is no yellow car.
Are things possible to integrate in the final version?
I ask because the game is gorgeous, and 98% compared to the arcade.

I've joust made a videoreview (Italian language

It is my opinion that the player should not bounce after striking the dump truck.  In an earlier version of the game, some cars were in fact yellow, but one of my play-testers complained that they were difficult to see.  This is because the yellows on the TMS9918A chip are too similar to the gray color of the road.  So I made them blue and purple instead.

Thank you for the review video, it was very entertaining.  I have tried to understand using the auto-translated captions.

On 2/3/2020 at 5:50 PM, PeteE said:

No, I use the FinalGROM cartridge on my console.  The bnp_8.bin file is a cartridge image, which can be placed on the SD card plugged into the FinalGROM, which maps it at the 8KB cartridge memory space at >6000.  The FinalGROM supports banking, so additional data can be accessed, up to 512K.  Bounce'n'Pounce uses 4 banks, for a 32KB cartridge image (which means it could work with the older FlashROM cart.)

Could easily work on the Guidry boards too... and I have probably 20 of those sitting around waiting for a game ;)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Tornadoboy said:

I recently tried it through the MESS emulator and I've got to say you absolutely NAILED it! :D I'm a fan of the Colecovision port and I even own an actual BNJ arcade cab so I know the game well, great work on your part!

Thanks, that means a lot!  If you have a chance, please post your high score in this months competition thread.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...