IGNORED

Aide - The Absolute Disk Editor by Roklan, found and released!

Dutchman2000

Thanks!

13 minutes ago, Dutchman2000 said:

This utility looked like it was supposed to be released in 1983, not sure why it wasn't but here it is!

I guess that it wasn't because it is not friendly enough. In a simple try of its options, I had to press RESET many times, even to exit a selected option, and start it again from DOS.

Or might it be just for internal use only?

23 minutes ago, www.atarimania.com said:

Roklan had a small line of utilities that saw quite limited release and this is one of them.

Thanks for dumping this title, it was on pirate lists back in the day but I never managed to get hold of it.

Do you have a list of them?  I could search the archive and see if there are any more.

17 hours ago, Gunstar said:

I like to see the FinPac, program, see if it's any better than the Syn-series and Your Personal Net worth programs I use.

I think its wonderful (if not a wee bit strange) that people still use the old Atari and its software to keep things running ie databases etc.....Really lovely notion.

I suppose its from the "if it aint broke don't try and fix it" notion..

The reason I say a wee bit strange is that most people are from the school of "want it now!!" so use modern tech to do everything...So nice to see many of you guys using the good old Atari, as a sad gamer I never really was into the utility side bar disk stuff and the odd assembler.

Yes, if it ain't broke...the stuff worked fine for people 40 years ago, and can still work fine now if you let it. Better than fine because there are no viruses, no hackers to gain access, no blue screens of death, no personal info exchanged across anywhere...and the best reason of all, paperwork is a lot more fun to do on a computer you love to use.

I also only played games on these machines back in the day, except for word processing for school, and so I now go out of my way to have fun using them today for the reasons above.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 4

• 11 months later...

can these be atx's or kryo/scp images as well in the preservation site as you go through the collection? some of the titles may have subtle protections and other things that might be missed and the cartridges almost always employ memory right protections and the like.

Edited by _The Doctor__

3 hours ago, Dutchman2000 said:

I’ll try to figure out how to make .atx images.  I can make .PRO images I think. 

Try to avoid PRO, they are much inferior than ATX and can stress both the drive and the medium quite a lot. This is particularly true for disks with bad sectors where each bad sector is retried five times on top of the drive's own retries. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Allan said:

https://archive.org/details/agm_gorf/page/n5/mode/2up

Here is a mention in the back of the Roklan Gorf manual of both AIDE and TELECOM programs.

everything on that page was finished, as to who has them... well we'll have to wait and see if they show up.

as for the 400, that depends on your idea of serious. :)

Edited by _The Doctor__

1 hour ago, Dutchman2000 said:

Here is a disk that seems to work better.

What did not work with the other dump?

Both are identical except for a deleted STARTUP.EXC and what it seems a few bit-rotten sectors in the second half of the disk.

Particularly the DOS and AiDE itself do not differ at all.

I cannot rule out that the files also have some bit-rot, but at least all sectors are correctly chained together. Severe bit-rot usually does not flip only single bytes but starts from somewhere mid-sector till the end and then crashes the chaining information.

There are no suspicious disk accesses during load. Thereofre I guess that there is/was no copy protection.

And while toying around I did not have to push RESET to exit from anywhere like vitoco did. "X" is the magic key to exit back to the main menu.

Edited by DjayBee
added chaining info
  • Like 1

Just now, DjayBee said:

What did not work with the other dump?

Both are identical except for a deleted STARTUP.EXC and what it seems a few bit-rotten sectors in the second half of the disk.

Particularly the DOS and AiDE itself do not differ at all.

There are no suspicious disk accesses during load. Thereofre I guess that there is/was no copy protection.

And while toying around I did not have to push RESET to exit from anywhere like vitoco did. "X" is the magic key to exit back to the main menu.

Some options when selected would crash the computer. 

I tried in Altirra with emulation set to a standard 800XL with 64k and PAL.

Nothing crashed for me. The only error is that verifying disks always fails. THis is true for menu secltion J and also as part of a disk copy. The disk copy itself works.

I only entered the disk editor, but did not actually edit anything because I do not know how to do that.