IGNORED

Sgm2 update?

Bobby Nelson

• 2 months later...

That is a good question. We went back to the drawing board this past holiday and changed a few things based on feedback:

1) The SGM2 was too "alien", with a separate cartridge format

2) Analog video only is kind of bummer 

3) ColecoVisions are too unreliable, an attached plugin module will only make that worse

I will post an announcement once we have the updated system designed, but we are still aiming for this year.

1 hour ago, opcode said:

That is a good question. We went back to the drawing board this past holiday and changed a few things based on feedback:

3) ColecoVisions are too unreliable, an attached plugin module will only make that worse

I will post an announcement once we have the updated system designed, but we are still aiming for this year.

So does that mean SGM2 as an add-on for the Colecovision is dead? If it is I might get in on the SGM next run

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/14/2020 at 5:55 AM, opcode said:

wrt 2) does it mean a different VDP than you had envisioned?

[it seems weird to have to convert 240p analog back to HDMI just because ... but it's your system]

19 hours ago, phoenixdownita said:

wrt 2) does it mean a different VDP than you had envisioned?

[it seems weird to have to convert 240p analog back to HDMI just because ... but it's your system]

No, still same VDP. Our VDP can output digital, but the problem is the ColecoVision, which is analog only...

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, but I was hoping that Opcode could provide some updates on the SGM2. 

Judging by the older posts seen here, it would appear that Opcode went back to the drawing board on a few things regarding the SGM2.

The one thing that really caught my attention, was Opcode’s comment about an attached plugin module only making things worse for the aging ColecoVision hardware. I was wondering if they somehow found a workaround for this issue, or is that still up in the air? 

I am glad you are including the Analog along with a digital, and yes the Colecovision is a pain to keep up and running.

Wasn't there someone who was building a drop in replacement for the Coleco?

I wonder if something like that would work?  I would definitely buy a stable Coleco board if one was made.

On 9/11/2021 at 1:58 AM, ColecoGamer said:

I know this is an old thread, but I was hoping that Opcode could provide some updates on the SGM2. 

Judging by the older posts seen here, it would appear that Opcode went back to the drawing board on a few things regarding the SGM2.

The one thing that really caught my attention, was Opcode’s comment about an attached plugin module only making things worse for the aging ColecoVision hardware. I was wondering if they somehow found a workaround for this issue, or is that still up in the air? 

Actually the new SGM2 was announced a couple of months ago (for Super Game Club members mostly), releasing in later 2022. It is still a plugin module, but with no proprietary cartridge or anything, and HDMI output.

• Like 2

On 9/16/2021 at 8:22 AM, opcode said:

Actually the new SGM2 was announced a couple of months ago (for Super Game Club members mostly), releasing in later 2022. It is still a plugin module, but with no proprietary cartridge or anything, and HDMI output.

I really appreciate the update. I only recently became a member, so it looks like I missed out on the announcement regarding the SGM2. I’m happy to hear that progress is being made, though. Like many here, I am a fan of Opcode’s SGM and games. I’m also keeping my fingers crossed for another run of those budget titles that I missed out on originally.

• Like 1