IGNORED

Apple IIe floppy emulator

Papalapa

I’ll receive an Apple IIe soon and I’m looking for a floppy emulator system.

After searching everywhere I found that there’s almost nothing available, in fact seems to be reduced to only two options, the Floppy Emulator from BMOV and the wDrive from KBOOHK. My initial choose was wDrive because I already have lots of .WOZ files and is cheaper than Floppy Emulator but stills being not available at the creator’s website for a long time.

Does anyone know if there’s any other floppy emulator for Apple IIe?

Hello McFly!  I own two of the Floppy Emu's from BMOW and love them, since they also work on my old Macs.  There's also the CFFA3000, but they're no longer in production and go for big bucks on ePay...  Glad I own two of them too!

Edited by Byte Knight

On 2/1/2020 at 2:45 AM, Byte Knight said:

Hello McFly!  I own two of the Floppy Emu's from BMOW and love them, since they also work on my old Macs.  There's also the CFFA3000, but they're no longer in production and go for big bucks on ePay...  Glad I own two of them too!

I'm aware of the Floppy Emu from BMOW but price is double of wDrive and it seems that is not able to read protected WOZ image files while wDrive does.

5 hours ago, Papalapa said:

I'm aware of the Floppy Emu from BMOW but price is double of wDrive and it seems that is not able to read protected WOZ image files while wDrive does.

From the BMOW site:

Apple II Floppy – Emulates 5.25 inch 140K floppy disks on any Apple II series system, as well as 3.5 inch 800K floppies on the Apple IIgs and Apple IIc+. Disk image files may be in .DSK, .DO, .PO, or .2MG formats. 5.25 inch 140K floppy disk emulation also supports .NIB and .WOZ formats. 

Another cool feature of the Floppy Emu is that can act as a HD for the Apple IIc, IIc+, IIgs and IIe with a Liron disk controller card.

• Like 1

Yeah, it seems that FloppyEmu supports WOZ images but as far as I know FloppyEmu cannot write to the emulated disk for gamesaving for example while wDrive supports disk read/write an transfer floppy disk to .WOZ through disk copy (non protected disks of course, otherwise you need Locksmith or similars...)

Anyway, wDrive is cheaper and I'll never use the additional features of the FloppyEmu (HD emu, Macintosh compatibility, etc...)

21 hours ago, Byte Knight said:

He's looking for a floppy emulator and not a HD emulator...

The Booti is the best HD emulator for the price though.

Ohhhh, okay.

I didn't look into it very far, just saw it on that link you posted. I might have to pick one up some day.

On 2/1/2020 at 3:45 AM, Byte Knight said:

Hello Byte Knight!

Do the Floppy Emus also work with CP/M disk images?

On 2/8/2020 at 6:55 PM, olev said:

He (Steve Chamberlin) suggested that I'd ask it from Apple-related forums :D... Still, thanks!

ol> Do the Floppy Emus also work with CP/M disk images?

They do, you need to follow the usual strictures for your CP./M version, usually S6,D1 or they'll fail to boot.  I haven't played with much aside from testing the theory.

Edited by Aunty Entity

• 10 months later...
7 hours ago, djc6 said:

Papalapa,  how did you end up liking the wDrive?  Thanks!

Sorry to don't upgrade the thread.

After almost one year using the wDrive I'm really happy with it. It's very convenient to have the files menu in the Apple IIe screen instead to have to use the small buttons and display on the wDrive. It's also easy to copy and duplicate images to floppy disk (I have a second physical 5,25" drive).

Finally it has a high .WOZ file compatibility, even those that use more than only one disk.