IGNORED

DPC+ Drawing Program

Random Terrain

Thanks to the example programs by Lillapojkenpåön, I was able to make a DPC+ drawing program where you can also change the foreground and background colors of 88 rows.

The program starts out in TOGGLE mode. Press the fire button and move the joystick to draw/erase in the playfield area with the cursor (looks like two pulsating dots).

z_dpc_paint_33fps_resized_02.gif

Paint Mode

Move the cursor to the top of the playfield area and push up for a second or two to switch between TOGGLE, DRAW, and ERASE. TOGGLE mode draws or erases. DRAW mode only draws. ERASE mode only erases. The cursor will show what mode you've switched to by temporarily displaying TOGGLE, DRAW, or ERASE.

Double Click to Change Speed

While the two-dot cursor is within the playfield area, double click the fire button to switch between slow and fast movement. When switching to slow, the word SLOW will be displayed at the bottom of the playfield. Double clicking again will go back to fast movement and the word SLOW will disappear.

Background Colors Mode

Move the cursor to the left side of the playfield and keep pushing left for a second or two and you'll enter background colors mode. You'll see BG COL at the bottom of the playfield and the cursor will switch from two dots to three. Push the joystick right to cycle to the next color of the current row. Push the joystick left to color the current row with the latest color chosen. For example, if you color cycled to bright yellow, pushing right and up or down will turn those rows bright yellow too.

Hold down the fire button to slow down color cycling or to slow down up/down moment. You can combine up/down movement while pushing left or right to change the color of multiple rows.

To exit background colors mode, move the cursor all the way down to the bottom and keep pushing down for a second to two. The cursor will switch from three dots to two dots and you'll be back to whatever paint mode you previously selected (TOGGLE, DRAW, or ERASE).

Foreground Colors Mode

Move the cursor to the right side of the playfield and keep pushing right for a second or two and you'll enter foreground colors mode. You'll see FG COL at the bottom of the playfield and the cursor will switch from two dots to three. Push the joystick right to cycle to the next color of the current row. Push the joystick left to color the current row with the latest color chosen. For example, if you color cycled to bright yellow, pushing right and up or down will turn those rows bright yellow too.

Hold down the fire button to slow down color cycling or to slow down up/down moment. You can combine up/down movement while pushing left or right to change the color of multiple rows.

To exit foreground colors mode, move the cursor all the way down to the bottom and keep pushing down for a second to two. The cursor will switch from three dots to two dots and you'll be back to whatever paint mode you previously selected (TOGGLE, DRAW, or ERASE) in the playfield area.

Miscellaneous

You might notice that the background colors go from one side of the screen to the other, but the foreground colors of the playfield are limited to a rectangular area in the middle of the screen. You can use those differences to your advantage if you're the creative type.

Press the reset switch to clear the screen and start over. There's no way to save your creations, so only use the reset switch if you're completely sure you want to clear the screen. If you're using an emulator and create something you'd like to keep, take a screenshot. If you're using a real Atari 2600, take a photo with a camera or smartphone.

Download the Program

Here's the .bin file to use with an emulator:

dpc_paint_2020y_01m_30d_0332t.bin

Note: This program is not in the public domain. You have permission to use this program with emulators and on a real Atari using a Harmony cartridge or similar device. Please do not include any version of this program in collections or post the .bin on a web site and please don't put it on cartridge with or without the intention of selling it (don't be a hoser).

• Like 7

On 1/29/2020 at 9:03 AM, TwentySixHundred said:

Nice work RT very similar to my Paint program included in Atari TOS

I just took a look at it and your program seems to have a single color for the whole playfield. Lillapojkenpåön's example programs

let us change individual foreground and background row colors. Since hitting reset clears the screen in my version, I try to keep the user's fingers away from the switches to avoid clearing the screen by mistake, so everything (except resetting) can be done using the joystick.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Random Terrain said:

I just took a look at it and your program seems to have a single color for the whole playfield. Lillapojkenpåön's example programs

let us change individual foreground and background row colors. Since hitting reset clears the screen in my version, I try to keep the user's fingers away from the switches to avoid clearing the screen by mistake, so everything (except resetting) can be done using the joystick.

This is true, your program is impressive and i like what you have done with it. Using the joystick to change functions is a nice feature that's for sure ?

Yeah i was going to add the feature of changing the colour bands then opted for plain "paper colours" of black or white (mainly due to DPC+ not using PF0). White was also the more intended paper colour however thought id add the option of black for those who may not want the paper-esk look. TBH i had plans of adding all the 2600 colour pallet for the "pencils" although i started working on Bass Fishing Tournament on the side which grew fast into a game.

Didn't seem like there was much interest for my Atari TOS program from the community, so it ended up on the back-burner :(. Every now and then it runs past my mind and think to pick the project back up again (atleast to finish off what i started). Anyway like i said nice program you have ?

• Like 1