IGNORED

question about Gr.10 colors

Hi all and , first, best wishes for 2020.

Just a question about gr.10 (9 colors) mode to be sure to do not a mistake

the colors cover $2C0 to $2C8 and values from 0 to 8 on 4bits bloc (1byte->2pixels).

But setting values from 9 to 15 return this result :

value 09 -> color 8

value 10 -> color 8

value 11 -> color 8

value 12 -> color 4

value 13 -> color 5

value 14 -> color 6

value 15 -> color 7

as values 12 to 15 seems less or more logical (forgetting bit 3) values from 9 to 11 don't.

As it's for a gr.10 charset tool mode interpretation, I just ask to more skilled 8-bit atarians if it's correct to take values in previous list 

for visualisation of data on screen, or not ?

have a nice day

The question is: What do you intend? 

The values are 0 to 8 . More than 9 colors were not available. 

Why bothering with the upper values?

Particular the GTIA chip has never been fully completed.  So there are a lot registers unused or even illogic. 

Back in the days, it had been "the clue" to really use the numbers that have a direct usage, because an updated chip always would encounter problems , if the unused values get a real functionality. 

1 hour ago, DearHorse said:

Hi all and , first, best wishes for 2020.

Just a question about gr.10 (9 colors) mode to be sure to do not a mistake

the colors cover $2C0 to $2C8 and values from 0 to 8 on 4bits bloc (1byte->2pixels).

But setting values from 9 to 15 return this result :

value 09 -> color 8

value 10 -> color 8

value 11 -> color 8

value 12 -> color 4

value 13 -> color 5

value 14 -> color 6

value 15 -> color 7

as values 12 to 15 seems less or more logical (forgetting bit 3) values from 9 to 11 don't.

As it's for a gr.10 charset tool mode interpretation, I just ask to more skilled 8-bit atarians if it's correct to take values in previous list 

for visualisation of data on screen, or not ?

have a nice day

While modes 9 and 11 provides 16 "steps" for colour or brightness, mode 10 is special in that it can use any chosen colour.  However, the machine only has 9 palette registers so unfortunately, only 9 colours can be used without tricks, not the full 16 from modes 9 and 11.

22 hours ago, emkay said:

The question is: What do you intend? 

The values are 0 to 8 . More than 9 colors were not available. 

Why bothering with the upper values?

Hi,

why -> In text-mode, each line of character is 8bit, so when doing an interpretation of a char-line value bin 10011001 in gr.10 I must do something with this value 9 in 9color mode to have a visual result, even if it's a strange result or unusefull at the first approach.

I know that there is no more than 9 colors availaible but as a nibble is already availaible to code a 9 color pixel, and machine doing an interpretation with upper values (my list in upper post), I ask if values seems correct to others skilled users (mainly on  NTSC machines because mine are PAL, in various situations, ..) to do global work on chars with tool software.   I post as screenshot to show sample interpretation with GR.11 txt mode (left) to gr.0 (right) as example of what I try to explain.

bugs on C/GTIA are not a problem as long as they are the same everywhere.

sorry for my bad english.

best

Particular the GTIA chip has never been fully completed.  So there are a lot registers unused or even illogic. 

Back in the days, it had been "the clue" to really use the numbers that have a direct usage, because an updated chip always would encounter problems , if the unused values get a real functionality. 

Thanks for response

AT800-088-256.JPG

Edited by DearHorse
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, fox said:

Yes, you can safely use the values 9-15 if you need to. Your interpretation is correct and now that we have internal GTIA schematics, we know that this is how it works. Emulators have no problems either.

Specifically Altirra and I think Atari800 do not have problems.  The problems arise if we engage Antic 4/5 on GTIA 10.  Atari800win returns the wrong color for bit pattern %1000 in that mode,  amongst others.  Altirra has it right.

Edited by Synthpopalooza
  • Like 1

As a feature suggestion:

It might be useful to add the Antic 4/5 iterations of GTIA 9, 10, and 11 to the available modes in your editor.   There are instances in interlacing modes, where this is useful ...

First, if you want to use low resolution ANTIC 5.

Second, using ANTIC 4 but using a scan line change to interweave the modes, rather than full screen flicker.  I used this method on a remix of that Tetris clone called The Wall ... the game used ANTIC 4 but GTIA 11 is switched on alternately on scanlines to get 60 colors.

The colors are mapped differently, and you only get 14 of the 16 settings.

On 2/27/2020 at 7:12 PM, fox said:

Yes, you can safely use the values 9-15 if you need to. Your interpretation is correct and now that we have internal GTIA schematics, we know that this is how it works. Emulators have no problems either.

Thanks, So I keep the implementation of this.