IGNORED

Modern Games Beaten in 2020

Austin

14 hours ago, Punisher5.0 said:

Im surprised there isnt a modern gaming thread for this topic so ill just post this here.

Last night I finished The Talos Principle. This is by far my most proud achievement in gaming. I did it legit without looking up any of the puzzles on the internet. If you want a game that tests your problem solving skills this is that game.

Now there is!

Post the modern games you have beaten in 2020.

• Like 3

I'll start with a re-post from the Classic Gaming General version of the thread:

1. Dark Souls II (PC) - Did a marathon stream session over two days and completed the vanilla version of the game on Steam, all DLC included. Took a while to get back into the groove with it after coming off Dark Souls III (DS2 feels very different from that game), but it was a good time. PC version is the best way to experience this game, by far. Rock-solid 60fps.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 1

1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses (NSW) - Started this as my first post holidays game after buying it on sale in December. And I was hooked. Chose the Black Eagle House and, while I found the story twists to be a tad too predictable, it was still a really fun game. I'll definitely play it again, just not sure when, I've got a backlog the size of Texas...

• Like 1

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II - I played the first one when it was new, but it took me a while to get to the sequel.  So short it was only really half a game.  The story didn't seem that bad all these years later.  Especially now that we have the less than impressive sequel trilogy.

Bioshock Infinite - I wasn't really that impressed.  The game felt like a step back from the original (I've never finished 2) in both story and gameplay.  Kinda boring, and the twist at the end didn't really do it for me.  Still a good game overall though.

Detroit Become Human - I created a whole thread on this game in the PS4 section.  I'm not really a fan.  It was my least favorite Quantic Dream game by far.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Austin said:

I'll start with a re-post from the Classic Gaming General version of the thread:

1. Dark Souls II (PC) - Did a marathon stream session over two days and completed the vanilla version of the game on Steam, all DLC included. Took a while to get back into the groove with it after coming off Dark Souls III (DS2 feels very different from that game), but it was a good time. PC version is the best way to experience this game, by far. Rock-solid 60fps.

DS2 was the only game in the Dark Souls/Bloodborne series that made me consider quitting because it was too hard in the beginning.   And they thought they were making it easier by having the enemies disappear if you kept dying to them.   But that only made the game harder in my opinion because it took away opportunities to gain experience and level up!

But eventually I found a better weapon, hit my stride and the game became a lot easier.

woot!  you beat me to creating the thread.  Here's mine, reposted from the other:

Momodora: Reverie under the Moonlight (Switch) -- I caught this on a sale so bought on a whim (since I have zero self control).  It's a pretty charming platformer that does Metroid/Castlevania-style platforming well.  The 'casual' difficulty setting allows for about seven hours of non-frustrating gameplay so that's a winner for me!

River City Girls (Switch) -- Another bite-sized game that's one of the best beat-em-ups on the Switch in my opinion.  Graphics and sound are fantastic, plays like a dream.  I loved the callbacks to the Kunio-Kun series.  :)  

Torchlight II (Switch) -- I played this originally a few years ago, but picked it up after they patched some of the goofy bugs on the Switch version.  I finished it with three different characters (Embermage, Engineer, Outlander).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wongojack said:

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II - I played the first one when it was new, but it took me a while to get to the sequel.  So short it was only really half a game.  The story didn't seem that bad all these years later.  Especially now that we have the less than impressive sequel trilogy.

Bioshock Infinite - I wasn't really that impressed.  The game felt like a step back from the original (I've never finished 2) in both story and gameplay.  Kinda boring, and the twist at the end didn't really do it for me.  Still a good game overall though.

Detroit Become Human - I created a whole thread on this game in the PS4 section.  I'm not really a fan.  It was my least favorite Quantic Dream game by far.

I think what I really dug about Bioshock Infinite wasn't so much the story or mechanics- I really disliked some of the on-rails sections and a couple of the boss fights.  What I *did* like, though, were the visual aesthetics and the soundtrack.

• Like 1

Borderlands 3

Mass Effect 3

I like replaying BioWare games, replayed practically all of them last year. Mass Effect 3 spilled into January it still holds up, actually all of them do even the first game. Some of them with mods are fantastic. 

Edited by cimerians
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, cimerians said:

Borderlands 3

Mass Effect 3

I like replaying BioWare games, replayed practically all of them last year. Mass Effect 3 spilled into January it still holds up, actually all of them do even the first game. Some of them with mods are fantastic. 

I recently bought physical copies of the ME series for PC at a thrift store for $5.  What are these mods you speak of?

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, wongojack said:

I recently bought physical copies of the ME series for PC at a thrift store for $5.  What are these mods you speak of?

Sweet, I have the trilogy on PS3. Hopefully you can play them and activate them with Origin and not have issues. 

You can play them without the mods, they are just that good, but if you do mod it's a real treat.

They can all be found on Nexus mods and googling a bit. Some of them can be a little tricky and only had one issue (with ME1) where I had to re-install the game.

Here's a description of a Dragon Age Origins one that I like, there's TONS of other ones out there for the DA games if you google a bit (highly recommend the GOG version of DAO it has all the fixes)

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-01-20-this-fan-made-dragon-age-origins-mod-fixes-790-bugs-and-restores-hidden-dialogue-story-choices-and-items

ME2:

https://screenrant.com/mass-effect-2-mods-gaming/

Here's a thread for the entire ME trilogy, the mods these guys recommend are great:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, cimerians said:

Sweet, I have the trilogy on PS3. Hopefully you can play them and activate them with Origin and not have issues. 

You can play them without the mods, they are just that good, but if you do mod it's a real treat.

They can all be found on Nexus mods and googling a bit. Some of them can be a little tricky and only had one issue (with ME1) where I had to re-install the game.

Here's a description of a Dragon Age Origins one that I like, there's TONS of other ones out there for the DA games if you google a bit (highly recommend the GOG version of DAO it has all the fixes)

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-01-20-this-fan-made-dragon-age-origins-mod-fixes-790-bugs-and-restores-hidden-dialogue-story-choices-and-items

ME2:

https://screenrant.com/mass-effect-2-mods-gaming/

Here's a thread for the entire ME trilogy, the mods these guys recommend are great:

Oh, I have played all 3 (on Xbox) and all the DLC.  ME might be my favorite game series of all time.  I normally don't do mods but would be interested in experiencing the trilogy again with something new added to the mix.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, wongojack said:

Oh, I have played all 3 (on Xbox) and all the DLC.  ME might be my favorite game series of all time.  I normally don't do mods but would be interested in experiencing the trilogy again with something new added to the mix.

Yeah the first ME is still my favorite...its pretty cool marathoning through all three and picking different choices and having those mods in. 

• Like 2

On 1/31/2020 at 10:33 AM, Agamon said:

2. Beat Saber (Oculus Quest) - Finally finished the campaign for this game. I was stuck for over a week on level 29, but I beat it yesterday pretty much cruised through the last two levels.

Man, I need to fire up my Rift. I haven't used it in months but the last time I did I purchased Beat Saber. Really fun game.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, chicgamer said:

I finished Yakuza Kiwami last night. I really like this series. I may actually try to get a platinum for this game (not something I'm usually interested in pursuing).

One of my favorite series of all time, the first two games were written by a very good Japanese crime novelist... which make the first two games my favorite. The third game wasn't bad. I really need to try Yakuza zero.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, cimerians said:

One of my favorite series of all time, the first two games were written by a very good Japanese crime novelist... which make the first two games my favorite. The third game wasn't bad. I really need to try Yakuza zero.

Yakuza Zero is a lot of fun (it's the first game in the series I played through). It was weird to see how crazy Majima is in the first Yakuza game after playing his back story, though. The Yakuza 3, 4, and 5 remastered collection releases next week, so I'm going to try to get through Yakuza Kiwami 2 this week.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

it's episodic in a way, but darn it i got a credit crawl, lol- the crawl has you controlling a T-Rex for studs.

Lego Jurassic Park - Jurassic Park (Switch) - I finished out the first movie (Jurassic Park) for Lego Jurassic Park.  :)  This is a really well done game!

Edited by digdugnate

I finished the main story and the "present day" story on Assassin's Creed Black Flag (for XOne).  What an incredible game!  It helps that I am a big fan of Pirates both real and fantasy, but this is just an amazing game.  Nothing new to add to the slew of positive reviews, and I'm sure everyone has heard about it by now, but the way they took the old AC formula and mixed it with ship combat was a stroke of genius.  I love Sid Meier's Pirates! and this game really feels like it took some inspiration from that while of course keeping the best of the AC formula.  I'm sorry that I waited so long to play it.

• Like 2

Finished Okami HD on the PS4 late last week. Took me around 55 hours and I still didn't 100% the game. But it was just as fun as I remembered when I first played it on the PS2 way back!

Also this isn't a modern game at all but I did just pick up this cart recently and was able to figure out Shuttle Orbiter on the 2600 this weekend! I was only able to beat level 0 but I was able to get a couple pieces completed on the station in level 1 but the debris field is just a nightmare to try and get through!

Not sure what is next...

• Like 1