IGNORED

Modern Games Beaten in 2020

Austin

Finally finished the Mary Skelter remake today, and like I thought, Mary Skelter 2 and the remake serve as a single 200 hour game with the most difficult final boss I've ever seen aside from maybe Shin Megami Tensei IV FINAL. I almost can't believe that I'm saying this, but excellent music, a surprisingly good and interesting story, and an almost entirely likable cast (aside from a few annoying people) somehow made this one of the best games I've played in a very long time. Kangokutou Mary Skelter Finale preordered without hesitation.

I finished all the worlds in AstroBot Rescue Mission this weekend.  Single best advertisement for PSVR that I have ever played.  I want more!

I also managed to escape the spire with the Defect (robot character) in Slay the Spire.  Technically not finished with that as (I think) you are supposed to try and escape with all characters, but it is so hard that I doubted I would ever even do it once.

1.) Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana - Nintendo Switch

This was an outstanding game. I've played a lot of YS games and I think this might have been the best or close to it.

2.) Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap - Nintendo Switch

A great remake to one of my favorite SMS and TG-16 games I ever played.

3.) Dragon Quest 1+2+3 collection -  Physical copy for Nintendo Switch 

• Like 1

I went back and collected all the Riddler trophies in Batman Arkham Knight which allowed me to activate the "Nightfall Protocol" and officially end the story with the complete ending.  I think this game got criticized by fans of the older games who seemed to hate driving the Batmobile around.  I admit that there is probably too much Batmobile in the game, but that doesn't ruin it for me.  It's an excellent game and probably has the best story of any in the series.  A+

The Rocksteady games (Batman, Mordor) rank right up there with the top shelf of the past 2 generations.  Those games are just as good as the stuff produced by Bethesda, BioWare, Naughty Dog, Nintendo, Rockstar, and Ubisoft Montreal.

Edit - I know that Rocksteady didn't do Mordor, but the inspiration is so obvious that I lump them together.

• Like 1

I finished Darksiders III today. I had a great time with it. There are definitely some technical issues (inconsistent frame rate and some loading that breaks up the action), but it wasn't enough to detract from my enjoyment. Now, it's time to tackle Darksiders Genesis.

9)  Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition

I didn't like this one at all.  I think it may be the first time in my 40+ years of gaming that I actually said out loud "I f'n hate this game!" while playing.

But I had made a promise that I would finish it, so I slogged through 42 hours of playtime, which seemed like a 12 hour game with about 30 hours of walking and watching cut-scenes to pad it out.

• Haha 2

I finished the "story" in SuperHot VR yesterday. Not much of a story TBH, but the PSN trophy you earn is called "You are now Free" with the description "Finish the Story," so I guess it counts.  There are still some challenges that I want to check out . . . B

On 4/5/2020 at 10:37 AM, chicgamer said:

I finished Mad Max last night. The story was not so great (and mostly absent through much of the game), but the vehicle combat really felt at times like I was playing out a scene from Road Warrior. The hand-to-hand combat wasn't bad and was similar to the Batman Arkham games. Definitely recommended if you like the Mad Max movies.

I'm on staycation this week so I figured I'd wrap up some of my older games. Finished the story finally, only took me almost 5 years! chicgamer is correct on all accounts. 

I actually prefer this style of gameplay over something like the Fallout series. I guess I'm off to Rage 2 now. 

• Like 1

I went back and collected all the missing robots and completed all the challenges in Astrobot Rescue Mission.  It is the first Playstation game where I've ever gotten a platinum trophy.  A+

I finished the story in the PSVR game "Moss."  It was cute and fun and a great use of VR.  I agree with most reviewers in that I wish it was longer. A

I also finished "Oxenfree" which is what I would refer to as a story-driven indie game.  This was kind of a tough one because there was a time when I would have absolutely loved the witty dialog and excellent voice acting, but I think this game actually sort of ended an era for me.  I was wondering when I would get tired of the indie game trend of relying heavily on story over gameplay and I think it just happened.  I'm not even really sure why I kept playing this game.  It felt like they took what was great about the point and click adventure genre and removed all of the actual gameplay, replacing it with a some controller manipulation that simulated tuning a radio dial and cranking an old-style reel to reel tape player.  And while I think the voice acting was excellent and the dialog diverse and expansive, the game had this annoying habit of forcing you to select a dialog choice before the characters were finished talking.  This seemingly gave a sort of pace to the conversations, but it failed for me because . . . well . . . this is a video game, and I want to actually listen to the characters to hear what they are talking about.  Its not like real life where one can sort of assume what someone is going to say before they finish.  Plus the details actually mattered in terms of achieving the game's various endings.  D+

10)  Mario Tennis Aces (Switch)

Such a fun game!  If it was a barebones "tennis matches only" kind of game, it still would have been really good, but the inclusion of a campaign/story mode allowed them to get really creative and with "boss battles" and challenges, making it really something special.

I finally achieved a goal I've had for about 15 years, which is to play an RPG in Japanese, finish the game, and actually understand the story without using a dictionary or Google translate or anything like that.

The game was the Japanese PS4 version of Kangokutou Mary Skelter 2, and maybe that's cheating since I've already played it in English 2 months ago, but too late now. I had forgotten how long this damn game is, and after replaying it, I think it's actually too long.

To my surprise, the PS4 version runs so terribly that it constantly feels as though it's on the verge of crashing, and it's full of glitches that mostly got fixed for the Switch port. Outside of menus, the Switch version runs at double to triple the frame rate at all times until the PS4 finally is able to catch up to the Switch and hit 60 FPS in the final area of the game, but even then, it can only do it in battle. It's Compile Heart, though, and as always with them, the only thing lower than the game's budget was the frame rate. I highly doubt that anyone here will play this game, but if you do, DON'T play the PS4 version.

Now that I've unlocked the remake of the prequel, I get to play that. The language in that game is considerably more advanced, from what I remember, but the true test of my ability will begin in October...

I finished the main story in Shadow of the Tomb Raider.  I really enjoyed the game and think that the supporting characters and story around Lara is the best of any Tomb Raider game ever.  In some ways the plot would be great for an Indiana Jones movie (I'm looking at you Crystal Skull).  However, this game got some negative reviews from critics, and I see their point.  There's a lot that kinda feels tacked on or unfinished, and Lara has no new abilities from the previous game.  Still, I think it really got it right on some key areas that made it my favorite of the most recent Croft trilogy.  Also this is the first game I've ever seen where they give you the option to let the characters speak what would be their primary language (and you read subtitles if that isn't yours).  I think that is a pretty neat and inclusive option.  A

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cimerians said:

Decided to grit my teeth (for another 40+ hours) and finish off Witcher 3 so that's done. Never going through that again,

On a positive note, if you ever need to apply for a job running errands, you can list "completed Witcher 3" among your qualifications.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cimerians said:

Decided to grit my teeth (for another 40+ hours) and finish off Witcher 3 so that's done. Never going through that again, not sure what's next Persona 4 on steam or maybe Octopath Traveler. I also want to try out Black Mesa which is a Half Life remake.

4 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

On a positive note, if you ever need to apply for a job running errands, you can list "completed Witcher 3" among your qualifications.

My wife actually just completed the main story in Witcher 3 yesterday, so I've seen A LOT of it.  There certainly is a lot of "hurry up and watch this video" going on there.  Very light on actual gameplay.  It doesn't help that she plays on easy difficulty so every fight is over in like 2 strokes of a sword . . . but she got to one point near the end where she had to turn mirrors.  You know, the old shine the beam thing.  I was like "ooooo a puzzle."

I think my biggest criticism as someone who has watched most of the game (and the show) is that Geralt isn't a very good main character.  When the game starts, he's already the grizzled veteran who seems to know everything and is already tired of talking to (or fnck!ng) every living person in the game.  That means that you as the player are meant to play as him in order to discover what he already knows with the eventual payout of achieving his same state of relative apathy.  Why is that important in a game?  Because if you are learning and changing with your character, it transfers a sense of meaning.  That monster we just killed was Geralt's 999, but it was my first.  That's less powerful than if I am experiencing something new WITH the character.  I'm more likely to be satisfied killing random monsters for people if it is meaningful.

At least the story in W3 turned him in to a father figure which provides some built-in connection to another character, but the game clearly wants you to know that Geralt's life will go on just fine if Cirri is killed or something. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wongojack said:

My wife actually just completed the main story in Witcher 3 yesterday, so I've seen A LOT of it.  There certainly is a lot of "hurry up and watch this video" going on there.  Very light on actual gameplay.  It doesn't help that she plays on easy difficulty so every fight is over in like 2 strokes of a sword . . . but she got to one point near the end where she had to turn mirrors.  You know, the old, shine the beam thing.  I was like "ooooo a puzzle."

Yeah he's really dry, with some sense of humor I guess…he’s obviously a cross between Conan and maybe Solomon Kane with powers. Basic quest routine: takes a job, uses Witcher senses, kills monster, gets paid, repeat. Maybe throw a decision in there now and then. The trekking between sign posts (fast travel points) was grueling at times. The puzzles were pretty straigtforward or nonexistent… like that mirror puzzle which really wasn't one, you turn them all on in any order except one of 'em was tricky to get to, which I guess was the ‘puzzle’.

The game has moments although I didn’t care for most of the cast (Triss and your Witcher teammates were probably best imo), cool graphics, great music but overall way too long especially with the type of tasks you're doing over and over again. I guess you can really get into it crafting potions\gear and the like but I just didn't care for it. I played all the games finished them all (2nd game was the worst IMO), this may be my last one it's a pretty good ending for the series so if they make another one I definitely won't be buying it on day one and will hope for some overhauls.

• Like 1