IGNORED

Modern Games Beaten in 2020

Austin

Finished the New Game+ for both The Last of Us and The Last of Us Part II over the past couple weeks.  I liked that I could make a custom difficulty this time around with TLOU2. I hated not being able to find any consumables on Survivor+, so I made the stealth and enemies Survivor+ level, my controls Hard+, and lootables Normal+. Great game, even the second time around in a month.

• Like 1

Finished Kangokutou Mary Skelter remake just before midnight. It's now the 23rd, but that means I finished it on the 22nd, which is exactly 2 months after I finished the US Switch version. What an interesting coincidence! I felt... empty? Sad? Something like that when I finished it the first time. Not so much this time.

As expected, the vocabulary is far more advanced here than in its sequel and there were a few times where I wasn't able to follow 100%, but I still made it all the way to the end. That 25 minute conversation with Gretel made me feel like my head was going to explode, though... that's by far one of the single most important scenes in the entire game and if I didn't vaguely remember the translated script I would have been completely lost.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished Death end re;Quest today. This game was definitely written by Kedwin and definitely developed by Compile Heart. I am neutral on this game overall; half of it (the real world parts) is good and interesting, but half of it (the RPG part) is extremely boring, easy, and not interesting at all. I literally only bought this game because Kedwin wrote it. Will probably never play again, but I will get the sequel when it releases on PC later this month.

• 3 weeks later...

11)  Paper Mario: The Origami King (Switch)

It gets slammed a bit because its "not Thousand Year Door" -- but that's a very, very high bar -- but I had a blast with this game!   Romping through this world reminded me of that childlike feeling of wasting away the afternoon eating Fruity Pebbles while watching USA Cartoon Express (mostly the Real Ghostbusters, if my memory is correct)

12)  The Ninja Saviors: Return of the Warriors (Switch)

A fun game made better with a few neat bells n' whistles, like extra characters, alternate soundtracks and leader boards (...sort of).   Beat it a couple of times and it felt like those good ol' days of renting a SNES title and spending the afternoon getting your $2.50 worth.    It's a short game, since its a remake of (I think) the arcade and/or SNES game.  I thought about trying for the leader boards for kicks,  but it seems most players are able to finish the stages faster than I could simply run from front to end if there weren't any enemies to fight  ?   

13 ) Knack 2 (PS4)

I may never understand why the Knack games get so much hate.    Part 2 -- the 1st half was good, but the 2nd half kicked it up a bit and was fantastic.  Loads of fun.  There were a handful of quicktime event sections that were kinda 'bleh," but that probably only totaled about 15 minutes out of the 12 hours campaign.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cimerians said:

Finally beat Uncharted 4, not exactly my favorite but it was pretty good. If I had to rank them it would be 2 ,3 ,4 ,1.

This game seems to come up a lot on AtariAge.  I played it within the last few years too, and I was just discussing it in another thread.

Regarding Uncharted 4 - I played U 1-3 on the PS3 and over there, I thought they were great. I don't think U4 was a bad game, but it was my least favorite.  With U4, right away, I didn't like the stupid sitcom marriage that they portrayed for Nathan.  He wants to run away, but can't.  But does anyway and lies to his perfectly understanding wife?  He just seemed like the dumbest husband ever.  That got me on a sour note right from the start.  Then something about the way the game transitioned between "slide down rocks" and "murder 20 dudes" just felt like I could  see the design of the game in a way that was too transparent.  I felt like you were playing this home-life simulator and then the loveable (but stupid) husband character flew off to slide on some mountains and freaking choke some b!tch3s out.  The pieces were good but together they didn't fit.  Finally, when you got to the part with the Jeep in Madagascar, I just got bored.  They made driving around and exploring a real chore.  It just wasn't fun and took a long time to get on with the rest of the game.  Same thing with the boat a little later.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wongojack said:

This game seems to come up a lot on AtariAge.  I played it within the last few years too, and I was just discussing it in another thread.

Regarding Uncharted 4 - I played U 1-3 on the PS3 and over there, I thought they were great. I don't think U4 was a bad game, but it was my least favorite.  With U4, right away, I didn't like the stupid sitcom marriage that they portrayed for Nathan.  He wants to run away, but can't.  But does anyway and lies to his perfectly understanding wife?  He just seemed like the dumbest husband ever.  That got me on a sour note right from the start.  Then something about the way the game transitioned between "slide down rocks" and "murder 20 dudes" just felt like I could  see the design of the game in a way that was too transparent.  I felt like you were playing this home-life simulator and then the loveable (but stupid) husband character flew off to slide on some mountains and freaking choke some b!tch3s out.  The pieces were good but together they didn't fit.  Finally, when you got to the part with the Jeep in Madagascar, I just got bored.  They made driving around and exploring a real chore.  It just wasn't fun and took a long time to get on with the rest of the game.  Same thing with the boat a little later.

As the old saying goes took the words right out of my mouth. Lol. I feel exactly the same way, the Jeep ride is where I stopped playing wayyy back then picked it up again a few months ago 'cause I decided I have to finish this and felt pretty much underwhelmed the rest of the way compared to the other games. The slides were annoying and to some extent the grapple thing where you had to loop it around trees and stuff but the Jeep ride was way too long in fact I think the game was a little overly long (I heard they did the same thing with the Last of Us 2, too long for doing basically the same thing over and over again). I really didn't feel the ‘holy shit!’ factor like I did in the first three games. Didn't care for the story like you said, it's a nice ending I guess but nothing compares to the action sequences of the second and third game. I jumped out of my chair roaring when I play the third game when you're inside the airplane and it just falls apart, or the train parts in the second game. Awesome. I actually considered ranking U4 last maybe I will, the first game is actually pretty good I only put it last because it's old.

• Like 1

14)  Unravel  (PS4)

I've had this game for a couple of years, and each time I try to play, I "ooh" and "ahh" about how pretty it is, but things happen and I and don't come back to it for a while.  This time, though, life didn't get in the way and I was hooked.

I don't think I've ever used "magical" to describe a game before, but now I have.  This game was special.  It's magical.

• Like 1

15)  Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order  (PC)

This game was always presented to me as "Dark Souls, but in Star Wars."  I'm not a big Star Wars fan, but I love me some Souls games, so I gave it a shot.    It didn't feel like Dark Souls at all.  Was more like Uncharted or the newer Tomb Raider games.  

But, it was an amazing game from beginning to end.  If I was a Star Wars fan, I think I woulda been over the moon with this one.

• Like 1

Beat Dishonored 2, kind of like the story from the first one better but overall not too bad a few levels were annoying. Good but if anybody were to ask me I would say play the first game with all the DLC's. Sigh, if only the Thief series could be this well made as I prefer that setting a lot more. Damn you Ubisoft.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I finished the story in Resident Evil 7 for PSVR.  I also played through the free DLC.  I had a lot of fun with this game.  It was a great update to the RE formula and a very enjoyable game to play in VR.  The free DLC was pretty awesome too.  It was the perfect little topper to play after the end of the main story.

Edit - Corrected to RE7

• Like 1

Just finished Persona 4 Golden for the Vita (PS TV actually). I played it with the Sharpscale plugin and 720P texture pack (games is too slow with the 1080P pack).

Not really sure what to play next. I feel like I could use a string of shorter games, but with being tired and overworked, my patience will be thin with things like platformers and arcade type games.

Edited by cybercylon
  • Like 1