IGNORED

Hyperkin vs. Retrobit vs Gamerztek

Recently the NES portion of my Retron 3 died. I got it second hand for $25, had it less than a year. While it wasn't perfect, I liked the convenience of it and the s-video looked good through the RetroTink 2x on my flat screen. I have a bit of a sour taste in my mouth with Hyperkin now. My Retron 77, while I overall like it, the joystick cracked clean off. I haven't had issues yet with my retrobit res. My question is do you guys think that these other 2 companies are any better with their build quality or are all budget consoles equally fragile. 

My extremely anecdotal conclusions based on these companies (from years of watching the products get released, then reviewed, then re-reviewed once the buzz dies down) is as follows:

Hyperkin: Crap build quality, they cut every corner they can.  Caught using stolen emulators and outright ripping off designs from the community.  They do, however, have a few products that fill niches that aren't easy met elsewhere.

Retro-Bit:  Build quality is generally a bit better, but still not what you'd expect from an OEM.  Occasionally craps out a total turkey, but on the whole delivers better value for the money than Hyperkin.

GamerzTek:  I hear very few complaints about them, mostly because they don't seem to sell as well as the other two.  Also, I get the impression that GT customers tend to go in with the lowest expectations, so they're easily pleased.

On 1/31/2020 at 6:56 PM, godslabrat said:

Hyperkin: Crap build quality, they cut every corner they can.  Caught using stolen emulators and outright ripping off designs from the community.  They do, however, have a few products that fill niches that aren't easy met elsewhere.

Which is why I regret having bought a Hyperkin Genesis pad, back before I knew they were scum. But I *needed* a replacement 6-button Genesis pad...

I bought a Hyperlink Retron 3 some time ago.  It was embarrassingly cheap.  It worked but there was a ton of issues.  And you know it's going to suck when your console smells like a cheap plastic shower curtain. While playing game with it I realized that I needed the real thing.  From what I read, Hyperkin sounds like their a little better now.  But when I hear things like "throw away the controller that comes with the unit" and "my unit died" I can't help but think they're trash.

Retro-bit and gamerz Tek are probably okay.  I have not bought from either.  I don't hear the complaints like Hyperkin. But there will always be something off and if you expect that they're probably okay.  If I was to pick something up I would probably Retro-bit.  

11 hours ago, homerhomer said:

Retro-bit and gamerz Tek are probably okay.  I have not bought from either.  I don't hear the complaints like Hyperkin. But there will always be something off and if you expect that they're probably okay.  If I was to pick something up I would probably Retro-bit.  

I do expect that these things aren't going to be perfect. What I like about them is the space I save and I can have 3 systems hooked up at once. However the flimsy pins of the retron 3 irked me. Would I buy another one for $25, maybe, but I wouldn't pay full price for something that won't last much more then a year. I do have an original genesis, SMS and my wife has an original nintendo but they are too bulky to have all hooked up at once.