IGNORED

2020 BASIC 10Liner Contest

carlsson

With the deadline 32hrs away I don't think I can get this endless runner into a form that I'd be happy to submit :(  I either need to rework it into something a little simpler, or knock up a new game in a day.  I knew I shouldn't have spent all that time messing around with that snake game lol

I've just sent two different games with the same engine I called Personal Trainer Simona.

The games are:

SIMONAF.PNG.5b0eb481383ce46b0d1b3aacc6753237.PNG

Name: Following Simona
Category: EXTREM-256
Platform: Atari XL/XE
Language: FastBAsic 4.3
Description: Try to follow Simona in her exercise series as fast as you can. Game is over after 100 misses.

SIMONAR.PNG.381ae418131488f79b34c3dfb06d7b9d.PNG

Name: Repeat after Simona
Description: Repeat each Simona's excercise series. You win if all 10 series are completed, but the game is over at the first fail.

Now, I'm trying to finish the last one: Tunnel Hunt, a simplified version of the arcade game (c) 1979 by Atari and licensed by Centuri in 1981. I hope I could do it in 11 hours...

• Like 9

44 minutes ago, vitoco said:

I've just sent two different games with the same engine I called Personal Trainer Simona.

The games are:

SIMONAF.PNG.5b0eb481383ce46b0d1b3aacc6753237.PNG

Name: Following Simona
Description: Try to follow Simona in her exercise series as fast as you can. Game is over after 100 misses.

SIMONAR.PNG.381ae418131488f79b34c3dfb06d7b9d.PNG

Name: Repeat after Simona
Description: Repeat each Simona's excercise series. You win if all 10 series are completed, but the game is over at the first fail.

Now, I'm trying to finish the last one: Tunnel Hunt, a simplified version of the arcade game (c) 1979 by Atari and licensed by Centuri in 1981. I hope I could do it in 11 hours...

Awesome graphics, can't wait to try them Victor!

1 hour ago, Preppie said:

Looks good, can't wait to play and read code.

1 hour ago, Philsan said:

Awesome graphics, can't wait to try them Victor!

I've attached a preview for both Simona's games... Please try them and comment... soon!!! I couldn't test them in real hardware, so it might be needed some fine tunning... ;-) 

Code will be released after the contest's results (April 4?).

++V

SIMONAF-preview.XEX SIMONAR-preview.XEX

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Preppie said:

Cool game, very nice gfx.  A little strange using same joystick input for different moves but I'm sure you'd get used to it.

About difficulty levels for both Simona's games:

• EASY: There are only 4 different basic movements to remember, one for each joystick direction (up, down, left and right).
  • REGULAR: There are 4 extra movements in addition to the 4 basic ones, but you only have to move the joystick in the same 4 directions, and the extra ones will be automatically selected for the series.
  • HARD: You have to press the trigger to select the extra movements along with the joystick, giving real 8 different movements to remember.

I hope this helps understanding it. HARD is really hard!!!!! Hint: the trigger allows you to select the steps that uses the arms.

• Like 2

This is my last contribution to this years contest: Tunnel Hunt

TUNNEL.PNG.a7ab1c023d57dd01bc3e576ef6433acf.PNG

I started this as a prototype almost a year ago, and it took too much development time in the addition of some elements to make it attractive and playable, but as at the end I had some free space, I finally added some extra features... I still have more than 90 bytes available, but I don't know what more to add in 10 hours. I guess I'm tired, sleepy and stressed (and in quarantine).

I allready sent it to Bunsen.

• Like 7

Short on time, I took a hatchet to my code and made a reworked version.  Just as I was about to post it I realised I'd forgot to make a player lol

runpic.thumb.PNG.ffd57050daa003dcb6dc10679d62559a.PNG

I wasn't sure how to enter special characters to the IDE so ended up putting in some dummy strings along with the data and wrote a little routine to find the strings in the editor and poke the characters directly into it, then deleted the data statemnents.

I'm not totaly happy with it (and God knows if there's any bugs or how the actual game plays), but I delivered a complete program at last.

I also sent in my minesweeper game to the PUR-120 :)

runnerXEX.xex

• Like 7

5 hours ago, carlsson said:

Oops. I took an afternoon nap and missed the deadline. Not that my single entry was particularly good anyway compared to what others have produced, plus that I had almost two months of submitting it.

Me too! We'll have fun competing again next year and tons of fun looking at all the cool entries this year - really liked the smooth parallex scroller tons of awesome programs over the years in this contest. 

Really amazing what BASIC can do, sad for kids today with their text book examples that no one can just type in and run on a computer.

On 3/9/2020 at 11:35 AM, carlsson said:

Also there have been a bunch of Atari 2600 entries using Flashback BASIC, supplied as BIN and WAV (for loading on the Supercharger, I think). From what I can tell those are compiled, though as long as they don't implement their own machine code routines they seem to slip through.

Yes they are pure BASIC programs though it is possible to mix in Assembly statements using the concatenator operator like the feature in BBC BASIC.

They cross compile as either a 6K SuperCharger BIN with the WAV file for loading from Tape, or a nonstandard 7K BIN using CBS RAM format. 

Both compilers are available here for anyone who wants to enter an Atari 2600 game in the BASIC contest next year:

http://relationalframework.com/Atari2600gamesonline.htm

• Like 1

On 3/8/2020 at 5:26 AM, Bunsen said:

Enter it and write another.

During the years we have seen a dozen breakouts, a dozen bombers and other similar games. It's hard to come up with completely new ideas and concepts, but it is also really interesting to see the different approaches of the same concept. I love them all!

Awesome post Bunsen! :)

I love seeing the different versions of games on all the different systems particularly when the ports are different; fitting something into 10 lines virtually guarantees the port will have them and often more abstracted differences too which makes them really interesting to play and enjoy.

Another fun BREAKOUT that is different -

Here's an Atari 2600 SuperCharger BASIC program to share that would have been in the Wild category - this breakout is a demo, and also a game and well, it's different... I'm sure everyone on this thread will enjoy it ?

This program is not written using the old-school mode where SuperCharger BASIC works just like classic BASIC, there are a few interesting differences:

if you check out the listing you will see there are two gameloops, one for each vertical blank - why? For twice as much BASIC power on the VCS because it programs a TV! 

The Atari 2600 has no ANTIC just CTIA (with no c even) so it must program the TV screen directly.

Wait - there's a third gameloop too. Yes this BREAKOUT has 3 gameloops for BASIC, the third one is called the "kitchen sink" because it steals an entire frame and surfaces a larger processing time for the 3rd gameloop where more magic happens, in this fun breakout :)

There's also a Chiptunes section for the tracker-sequencer with soft-synth Fx the BASIC has.

https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=84257

https://www.pouet.net/prod_nfo.php?which=84257

Extra features - ASCII art GUI designers for BASIC:

There is also the ability to draw the large panoramic BITMAP with ASCII art and the sprites too! The SuperCharger has unique capability not present if recompiling as Flashback BASIC - it can provide an extra BITMAP image initially via "static RAM" like properties. The contest version features an extra initial mega-board via this feature.

Here's some more fun with classic BASIC from bitd where I wrote an article teaching folks how to add ASCII art GUI designers to BASIC - in the 80's

Using ASCII Art designers in BASIC; the editor becomes an IDE:
https://archive.org/details/rainbowmagazine-1989-11/page/n38

And also the ability to add digitized sound clips and resequence them in BASIC

Here's the BREAKOUT 2002 official contest version ROM binary and WAV from SillyVenture, the unreleased attached version of the BREAKOUT has a slightly different ball and invisible rows that was also interesting; I don't know where that code branch is, but I have the binary to share here!  The attached BASIC listing, is for the contest version.

Hope everyone enjoys this BREAKOUT, the previously unreleased variation, and the fun BASIC listing! My other entry for SillyVenture 2019 will be familiar here as well - Fluid City has a 10 line "BLITZ" BASIC core from the 2016 BASIC 10 liners contest coupled with a text scroller rating system and speed controls; like Breakout VIC-20 BLITZ is another favorite game to rewrite over, and over, and over again, with many different versions, on many different systems... for endless BASIC fun! Code on everyone! :)

BRKOUT2002.BIN BREAKOUT2002_LASERBEAMS_PAL_R3.txt

• Like 2

Had a chat with Gunnar and he said it's ok to post this if anyone wants to take a look.

These are my 2 full entries for the 10-Liner comp, remember they're designed for PAL systems (won't make much difference with the minesweeper but lot of dropped frames with the runner game in NTSC)

My documentation was a rush job, but I'm happy to explain if anyone is that interested.

mine sweeper 10 lines.zip runner 10 lines.zip

• Like 4

If no more entries are in Bunsen's email queue, these are the quick 2020 stats:

174 entries:

• PUR-80: 94
  • PUR-120: 34
  • EXTREM-256: 25
  • SCHAU: 12
  • WILD: 9

68 authors:

• Logiker with 22 games or variations of the same game in many platforms.
  • Charlemagne with 21 different games.
  • Fabrizio Caruso with 12 games or variations of the same game in many platforms.
  • Sergio Yukio Koshimizu with 7 games.
  • Toolkitman & Vitoco with 6 games each.
  • RoePipi & Bushy555 with 4 games each.
  • 10 authors with 3 games each.
  • 12 authors with 2 games each.
  • 38 authors with only 1 game.

36 platforms:

• 44 entries for Commodore (except C64)
  • 29 entries for MSX
  • 27 entries for Commodore 64
  • 18 entries for Atari 800XL
  • 11 entries for ZX Spectrum
  • 45 entries for the remaining platforms

33 flavors of BASIC:

• 35 entries in Commodore BASIC V2
  • 30 entries in Commodore BASIC V3.5
  • 27 entries in MSX BASIC 1.0
  • 12 entries in Sinclair BASIC
  • 7 entries in Atari BASIC
  • 6 entries in FastBASIC 4.3
  • 6 entries in Locomotive BASIC 1.1
  • 51 entries in 26 other BASICs

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Preppie said:

2600 novice here, what's the best thing to run the .BIN breakout game?

Great question Preppie! :)

Stella is an excellent Atari 2600 emulator for windows that will run the breakout, you can also run the game online at http://javatari.org/ 

Note: If you use the online 2600 emulator or Stella, make sure to go full screen after loading the ROM so you don't see mixed Hz on the screen.

If you have a real 2600 you can put the BIN on a multicart or load the .wav audio file into an old school SuperCharger flashcart from cassette tape or your iPhone.

I forgot to share the .wav, here it is if you have the SuperCharger.  

The SuperCharger is a 6K RAM board that loads from an audio cassette recorder like the RAM board for the 1975 Altair which enabled Microsoft BASIC and BASIC programs to be loaded from tape. Because this BASIC is compiled there is no BASIC interpreter which allows a lot more room for the game code. The BASIC program listing is 32K which is pretty big for a BASIC program (and the maximum size) but compiles to a 6K binary.

2 minutes ago, Preppie said:

Just thought I'd post this demo for a bit of fun.  I wrote this a couple months back (in FastBasic of course), could it be the basis of next years entry? ;)

Just saw your demo as I was responding - really cool 8-way scrolling demo, looking forward to seeing this one! 

BRKOUT2002.wav

• Like 1