IGNORED

130xe - No video via Composite, SVideo is fine

andrew@meler.us

That's not a failure symptom I've seen before. First thing I'd do is go ahead and open it up to see if any mods have been done by a previous owner, because for instance if a stereo pokey upgrade was installed, the composite video pin may have been repurposed for the right audio channel if the previous owner didnt want to make any new holes in the case...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, hueyjones70 said:

I have an 800XL that has no composite video. No mods. Which POKEY pin is the composite video.

The POKEY isn't responsible for generating video, that would be the GTIA. Even then there isn't a pin for composite video on the GTIA, it's generated through additional circuitry as the GTIA outputs a chroma signal and four digital luma signals. Looking at the schematic, you may want to try replacing U20 (a 4050 hex inverter) as that's the only IC involved in generating the 800XL's video signals outside of the GTIA. Failing that, you may want to take a look at transistors Q2 through Q5 as those are also part of the video circuitry.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ChildOfCv said:

From what I can see, an unmodified 800XL should already have composite output.  The schematics show that it's connected.  J2 (the DIN plug), pin 4 IIRC.

I know that an 800XL has composite video, the issue is that the composite video is not working on the 800XL that I am currently repairing.

Oh, well your initial question made it sound like you were looking to mod it.

Okay.  Do you have RF output?  Most of the outputs are interconnected through passive parts (resistors, capacitors, and chokes), so it's not likely that you'd lose only one output.  It's possible that the DIN plug has a bad connection though.

54 minutes ago, ChildOfCv said:

Oh, well your initial question made it sound like you were looking to mod it.

Okay.  Do you have RF output?  Most of the outputs are interconnected through passive parts (resistors, capacitors, and chokes), so it's not likely that you'd lose only one output.  It's possible that the DIN plug has a bad connection though.

I chose this topic because it sounded similar to my situation. I don't know if I have RF or not I don't have a TV that I could connect to. I use a monitor. I will check the monitor DIN.