IGNORED

Repairing a Stacy

Caribeno

• 1 month later...

@Caribeno @DarkLord parts are on the way to start this project. 4mb ram board may make it this weekend. As you both have taken the STacy apart I was wondering if there is any way to do this and still use the built in LCD? I don’t have a local ST monitor solution here and would like to be able to confirm everything is working before I put it all back together. 

You can do a "bare assembly", sort of layout on your work desk. That's what I did (and usually do) when

working on my STacy (or any Atari, for that matter).

Keep in mind, you'll be plugging some things together that you will probably have to take back apart

for a full re-assembly, but it's worth it IMHO, to test everything before closing the STacy back up....

PS Just watch and place everything carefully - you don't want anything touching that's not supposed to.

@Caribeno @DarkLord thanks guys for all you have posted on the STacy. I successfully added 4mb of memory today. If I had the right adaptor I would have gotten the ultraSatain installed as well. You wanted pictures so here you go.

LCD cover off:

BB6BC247-276A-4629-B5A7-67A0D0839B7B.jpeg

LCD off body:

93BA9E94-FEF7-4CB2-826D-F23F2B0ABD3E.jpeg

Top off body:

FAA7A0A6-5C0D-4287-8986-AAFA28687DAC.jpeg

Where the damn UltraSatin should go...

B8033C04-5B94-4B58-BFD9-951B587F9840.jpeg

Goo:

490B852D-AF58-406B-8DFA-001B6181CEA3.jpeg

More goo. Lots of goo from the hard drive. Most of it had collected in the back right corner of the STacy. Ended up pulling the motherboard to get it cleaned. 

E06EF689-9746-488A-A897-E2FB149D625F.jpeg

Note the expansion port is permanently sealed. In the background is the hard drive cover which the goo has effected the paint. This is why I ended pulling the motherboard. I was worried about the long term effects of the goo. 

CFF07928-1EAC-4B4C-9D8A-DD68C8F66E55.jpeg

It’s alive!

E72829D7-DD91-43EC-84F0-6B401C29BEF7.jpeg

...with 4mb of ram.

8874FB4F-A9C3-4F20-9E4F-DF36FC5220F5.jpeg

Edited by mdivancic
Notes added to photos

Very nice! (we do love pictures :)  )

About the internal adapter, AFAIK, Lotharek is the only one selling them at the moment.

I ordered an internal one for my Mega STe when I put  the internal US in it, it works great.

I got my STacy from a user here in Kentucky named Phantom (Barry). He was kind enough

to sell it to me for $400, which was a decent price at the time, even though it came in box,

disassembled. To be fair, he told me the shape it was in. He even let me make payments on

it, which is rare. Anyway, the 10 meg factory hard drive was DOA, and like yours, had leaked

that nasty "goo" all over the place. I did the same as you and cleaned everything, fearing

possible corrosive effects.

Oh, about the expansion port - some models had the removable cover and at some point

Atari dropped it (save costs maybe?). It's like the back plane cover - some of them have

the mechanism to raise the STacy, some don't. Mine has both the removable expansion

port cover and that mechanism.

Really glad to see you've got her going, STacy's deserve the best!  :)

• Like 1

Hi!

Sorry that I'm just replying; had too many things happening.

The upgrades look great! Unfortunately, I don't have a second STE adapter for the UltraSatan. ?

Question: Did you have to cut the metal shield above the memory/TOS/keyboard card, so it could fit the 4 Mb expansion? I did have to do that...

Andres.

P.S.: The tray looks amazing!

Edited by Caribeno

6 hours ago, mdivancic said:

Lone screw left over. Damn.

She is less than stable. I may need to cut away more of the shield?

Oh, that sucks... I hate when I have extra screws left. ?

Mmmhhh... It could be the shield but my cut, although similar, it is even smaller than yours (it is basically only for the memory; the shield around it was left intact). Maybe it is touching something? What if you remove the shield?

Hmm, maybe I'm missing something here. Are you all talking about replacing a 2 meg RAM memory board

with a factory 4 meg board?

If so, I pretty much did that way back in the day when I first got my STacy. It was a 2 megger and I upgraded

it.

I don't remember having to do anything with the RF shield to get it to fit and work though.

Old, and not good quality pictures but here's mine with the 4 meg in place:

PA150018.JPG.fe628795c2870bf4508ed48109525cb5.JPGPA150019.JPG.85f7807789806c1ad48b92492b4b6b32.JPG

5 hours ago, DarkLord said:

Hmm, maybe I'm missing something here. Are you all talking about replacing a 2 meg RAM memory board

with a factory 4 meg board?

Replaced a 1mb ran board with an upgraded 2mb board from Best. Does not fit under the shield. Here’s what the US looks like closed up. At least this part of the project came out nice. 

A6CFC27C-B4CF-4E42-8097-CE36701843DB.thumb.jpeg.f489a354c8d1dc0ebbbd5355ef08619f.jpeg

So I can open a STacy in 30 minutes now. Not sure this is a good skill? ?

The 4mb board is the problem. Any pressure on the right side causes bombs, or even a reset. Put the 1mb board back in, no issues. Well damn. I guess I can use it with 1mb for now.

So I had time, took apart the bad keyboard and found the bad trace. There is no apparent damage to the trace. Can anyone recommend a good conductive paint pen to fix this? Is there a better way to fix this? 

12 hours ago, mdivancic said:

Replaced a 1mb ran board with an upgraded 2mb board from Best. Does not fit under the shield. Here’s what the US looks like closed up. At least this part of the project came out nice. 

Hmm, weird. Seems like I did have a couple of spare boards that had "mixed" SIPP/SIMMs and it made for a tighter (but still workable) fit.

The US and your mounting looks awesome. Seriously, 2 thumbs way up there.  :)