IGNORED

Repairing a Stacy

Caribeno

5 hours ago, mdivancic said:

OK, the damn board was sitting there taunting me so what the heck. I reseated ALL the socketed chips and tried it again. Damn. Can’t make it fail. Running a long test now that wouldn’t make it before. Next step is to install the shield and run the test again. I hate old computers...

There ya go.  :)

Still not stable with the Best 4mb upgrade. The keyboard is pressing down on the SIPP on the back side of the board. I’ve got the 1mb board in and it is working well. HD is setup and basic programs installed. So question? Will a ST run with 3mb of ram? I’m thinking of removing the SIPP on the back of the board which will solve the clearance problem. 

6 hours ago, mdivancic said:

Attached are the files for the US STacy mount. The tray uses 2-2.5mm heat set inserts. The base Uses 6-32 heat set inserts so you can use the hardware that came with your STacy.

staceyustray.stl 2.69 MB · 1 download stacyusbase.stl 3.9 MB · 1 download stacyfaceplate.stl 37.09 kB · 1 download

I don't have a 3D printer but I'm sure others will have access and appreciate this.

Thanks for posting!  :)

1 hour ago, mdivancic said:

Still not stable with the Best 4mb upgrade. The keyboard is pressing down on the SIPP on the back side of the board. I’ve got the 1mb board in and it is working well. HD is setup and basic programs installed. So question? Will a ST run with 3mb of ram? I’m thinking of removing the SIPP on the back of the board which will solve the clearance problem. 

Hmm, have you looked at different chips? IIRC, and it's been awhile since I had my STacy apart, some of the boards used combinations of different chips

and they had different layouts, heights, etc.

Maybe you can re-arrange something on the board?

Just a random thought....

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I hit the issue you are talking about last night. I took the SIPP module from the top of the 4MB Best upgrade board, desoldered it, then soldered it on the other side. I think the original board probably had two SIMM sockets where the chips were at 45 degrees facing the expansion slot underneath? I could be wrong. I assume Best soldered on the SIPP modules and maybe isn't aware that it makes it a tough fit. I shot them an email about it.

Now my board has the two SIPPs facing the downward expansion slot and the cover fits on fine. But for some reason with the cover on, the system isn't coming up right. But it definitely worked on the bench before re-assembly.

I did a ASCI2SD using the blue pill thing on mine, and 3d printed a mount so I could remove the SD card from outside. I should have taken the guts of a gotek and added that as a 2nd floppy, but I have a gotek mounted in an external Atari ST 3rd party drive box, that should be good enough.

I was thinking about trimming down my cover a little around the LCD cable though, to make it easier to put back together.

Edited by telmnstr

On 1/27/2022 at 11:53 AM, telmnstr said:

Hello,

I hit the issue you are talking about last night. I took the SIPP module from the top of the 4MB Best upgrade board, desoldered it, then soldered it on the other side. I think the original board probably had two SIMM sockets where the chips were at 45 degrees facing the expansion slot underneath? I could be wrong. I assume Best soldered on the SIPP modules and maybe isn't aware that it makes it a tough fit. I shot them an email about it.

Now my board has the two SIPPs facing the downward expansion slot and the cover fits on fine. But for some reason with the cover on, the system isn't coming up right. But it definitely worked on the bench before re-assembly.

I did a ASCI2SD using the blue pill thing on mine, and 3d printed a mount so I could remove the SD card from outside. I should have taken the guts of a gotek and added that as a 2nd floppy, but I have a gotek mounted in an external Atari ST 3rd party drive box, that should be good enough.

I was thinking about trimming down my cover a little around the LCD cable though, to make it easier to put back together.

One of these days I’m going to take the time to remove the best modification and see if the two meg board is stable. One of these days…