IGNORED

What's a good MS-DOS computer for a beginner?

bluejay

On 2/2/2020 at 2:37 AM, Asaki said:

Mostly nostalgia, and hearing the whirr of a slower CD-ROM, the clicking of an old HDD, the grinding of a floppy disk, etc...I have one computer that I keep Windows 98 installed on, so I can play late 90s games with my Voodoo 3 and my Aureal 3D sound card (the few games that support it sound amazing). I know a lot of people are really into MIDI hardware (Roland, etc.). I have a few nice SoundBlaster cards, but I need to figure out how to flash the proper headers onto them, because I can't install the stupid drivers >_< (but that's more for WinXP than DOS

I get nostalgic for the games,  for the hardware itself, not so much.

You people should come to my house and unload all the old 286/486/Pentium/K6 boards and old drives I have stored in my basement!   I just don't have the time or desire to deal with it!  :) 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2020 at 2:13 PM, IntelliMission said:

Hey guys, is there any real advantage to have one of these machines besides nostalgia? I'm talking about performance with games compared to DOSBox. I'm curious about that, are there any DOS games that run badly on emulators?

Besides what's already been said, I'dd add the monitor issue. You main PC almost certainly has a widescreen LCD/LED. That's taboo. You're gonna want a nice 4:3 CRT VGA monitor. They take up a lot of space but it's the only real way to authentically see those old programs the way they were meant to be run.

On 2/4/2020 at 6:49 AM, zzip said:

You people should come to my house and unload all the old 286/486/Pentium/K6 boards and old drives I have stored in my basement!   I just don't have the time or desire to deal with it!  :)

Where do you live?