IGNORED

5200 OE HSC Challenge 02/2020 Ms Pacman

zylon

Our game for February is Ms Pacman. Play on default settings using real 5200 systems and Atari mfg controls. Use of period 3rd party analog sticks allowed with a 1 HSC pt penalty. Only modern exceptions allowed are, SD loaders and flashcarts running original Roms.

Pics preferred, but not required except for HSC wins and records.

Round ends when month does. (I was going to run Super Cobra, but will pass on helicopters for a bit)

Current HSC record- Bust it for a bonus point!

Ms Pac Man - (Cherries)
Cafeman 115,080

Final scores:

59,950  DamonicFury -1+11=10

51,730  roadrunner +10

35,640  hoosierdadee78 +9

33,610  troff +8

32,210  rubeon +7

30,440  Rogerpoco +6

13,250  RangerG +5

12,550  zylon +4

Current standings:

rubeon - 11

DamonicFury - 10

Rogerpoco - 9

Bemis - 8

roadrunner - 7

RangerG - 6

zylon - 5

Ms. Pac-Man.BIN

Edited by zylon
  • Thanks 1

Well, OK, I'll start this one up-

Ms. Pac:30,440

My PB is only about 9k more(I thought it was higher), but I had just gotten my 5200, and I snapped one of the sticks playing the game-I'm kinda afraid to push for more, don't want to break my other stick, but I may try, this isn't too bad for not even getting to the Bananas, really.

BTW, all I play 5200 on is the real hardware, with a real stick, and I have an Atarimax for games I don't own(I do collect). Not against other forms of control, I just don't have access.

:)

5200MsPac30440.png

• Thanks 1

I hope is OK for me to just jump in w/o introducing myself, haha!

I'm finishing up my first attempt at the 2600 HSC, I have several buddies from elsewhere that encouraged me to participate-looks like I'll probably be last in the Gold bracket, or first in the Silver, so not too bad.

Only really been on the Classic games for about four years, mebbe two years with a 5200, so a lot of it still seems "new" to me(45 y/o Grandpax2, BTW...).

I'm not terribly good, but I have friends that are, and occasionally they push and mentor me way beyond my expectations.

"Winning" isn't a huge priority for me. It's always nice, lol, but mostly I want to expose myself to games I may not have tried-I have three or four new "favorite games" from the 2600 HSC that I NEVER would have played otherwise.

Best of Luck to Everyone!!!

On 5200 Ms. Pac, I've seen people lurk around the side exits, "banana hunting", really pushes up the score, for those that can get that far!

On 2/7/2020 at 9:29 AM, Rogerpoco said:

I hope is OK for me to just jump in w/o introducing myself, haha!

I'm finishing up my first attempt at the 2600 HSC, I have several buddies from elsewhere that encouraged me to participate-looks like I'll probably be last in the Gold bracket, or first in the Silver, so not too bad.

Only really been on the Classic games for about four years, mebbe two years with a 5200, so a lot of it still seems "new" to me(45 y/o Grandpax2, BTW...).

I'm not terribly good, but I have friends that are, and occasionally they push and mentor me way beyond my expectations.

"Winning" isn't a huge priority for me. It's always nice, lol, but mostly I want to expose myself to games I may not have tried-I have three or four new "favorite games" from the 2600 HSC that I NEVER would have played otherwise.

Best of Luck to Everyone!!!

On 5200 Ms. Pac, I've seen people lurk around the side exits, "banana hunting", really pushes up the score, for those that can get that far!

Play anytime, one game, whole season, doesn't matter. This HSC is about how would you have done in the days before the improvements many have come to enjoy. The 5200 has strengths and weaknesses, and this club explores them all. 

I never submit a score until I see another, not fond of playing unopposed rounds. We run a game each month, and I try to mix it up some, or as best the original titles allow. I flat out suck at just about all but 5 or 7 titles on 5200, you'll know them when we hit them. ;) RangerG and I seem to have a regular golf scoring thing going on here, so rounds are winnable and not always the same person. I also don't have a lot of playtime, so get further handicapped. 

I would discourage excessive hunting, or camping to pump up scores. Usually not a problem in games like this, but scores that just don't fit the round reached mark will raise an eyebrow.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zylon said:

Play anytime, one game, whole season, doesn't matter. This HSC is about how would you have done in the days before the improvements many have come to enjoy. The 5200 has strengths and weaknesses, and this club explores them all. 

I never submit a score until I see another, not fond of playing unopposed rounds. We run a game each month, and I try to mix it up some, or as best the original titles allow. I flat out suck at just about all but 5 or 7 titles on 5200, you'll know them when we hit them. ;) RangerG and I seem to have a regular golf scoring thing going on here, so rounds are winnable and not always the same person. I also don't have a lot of playtime, so get further handicapped. 

I would discourage excessive hunting, or camping to pump up scores. Usually not a problem in games like this, but scores that just don't fit the round reached mark will raise an eyebrow.

Ah, OK, that is good to hear!

Again, I'm not "against" more modern controls, I just don't currently have access, and I do love the "charm" of the wonkyish 5200 analogue stick, so this sounds like the tourney for me!!!

I'm actually OK with submitting an initial score, even "early", and even "knowing it's my best", knowing others have that as a goal to shoot for/smash-I stay pretty busy, and again, "winning" isn't terribly important to me, just "experiencing".

Ah-at the point the Bananas come out, the game is going sooo fast, that "hunting" for them(Bananas) is very risky, so is definitely a "skill" thing, apologies if I made it sound/seem "cheap", it still looks incredibly difficult!!!

I DO like to try to "outsmart" games(not too good at it...), but in the event I ever do, I brag about it so much, that if it's a "problem", I've already exposed myself, so someone could easily say "Uhh.no. Sorry, that's not cool!"

:D

As long as you're hunting bananas on your own time. ;) What happens outside the HSC stays outside the HSC.

We do allow period analog sticks such as the Wico, if you find/have one. Only a -1 hsc pt penalty per round if used. I'll have to get in a game or two this week perhaps. Been nursing pinched nerves in my left arm and shoulder last 2 weeks, but can play this one 1-handed if need be.

Edited by zylon
  • Like 1

Haha, looks like Imma be getting my butt kicked in this here tourney!

:P

Don't care.

I like that there's a month to play the games, and there's surely gonna be that one game I wind up liking more than I thought I did, which makes it worth it!!!

I do promise, tho, no more than a couple weeks after I got my 5200 a couple years ago, I snapped one of my sticks badly on Ms. Pac-prolly was the stick, could have been any game, but I've been afraid to play Ms. Pac ever since...

February closes with DamonicFury bagging the most ghosts in a surprisingly high participation round. ? Thanks to those who played and I'll get this month's game up in a bit. 'Mornin y'all. 

Final scores:

59,950  DamonicFury -1+11=10

51,730  roadrunner +10

35,640  hoosierdadee78 +9

33,610  troff +8

32,210  rubeon +7

30,440  Rogerpoco +6

13,250  RangerG +5

12,550  zylon +4

• Like 1