RevEng

7800 TIA SFX Library, sound2tia

If you haven't already, give a try to "-a 1" and "-a 2" for ones that don't work with the default. The different algorithms pan out differently.

It could also be that I developed an ear for ones that definitely won't work, as there are some I don't even bother trying, so my success rate is greater.

...by the way, if you are going to try this with sounds from SXFR then make sure to have the [Squarewave] option selected or they mostly won't sound even remotely close.  Explosions have been the hardest to export from it.

On 5/20/2020 at 3:53 PM, RevEng said:

Yeah, the devil is in the details. If it's pokey interrupt driven in any way, like I'm thinking, then we can't do it on the 7800. At least not with current cart-based pokey designs. No idea about XM.

Sheddy confirms... IRQ interrupts are used on the XE Space harrier.   Might work on XM but not on cart POKEY.  Source code is in the Space Harrier thread.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Sheddy says

Interesting. I don't know much about the 7800, but 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://sites.google.com/site/atari7800wiki/interrupts&ved=2ahUKEwi47cn1jMjpAhX3WxUIHf2YAwQQFjAAegQIARAC&usg=AOvVaw0527HBuVvspSlKMVWvdh_I&cshid=1590172343633

suggests that there is an interrupt line to the cartridge which could presumably be used by a pokey in there. Hopefully the XM has this in mind too, but I can't remember coming across that detail in my occasional reads on the 7800 forums here.

Probably the thing to worry about most with IRQ samples is it needs to be called at fairly precise times for reasonable sound quality. It is lower priority than NMI so display list interrupts take precedence and also you may get Maria DMA stealing cycles at an irregular time. Antic seems to be not too terrible at hogging cycles

Make of this what you will ...

Edited by Synthpopalooza
  • Like 1

Yep, the interrupt line is there, just no pokey designs use it. If it wasn't there at the cart port, there would be no chance the XM would have it... when I get a chance I'll write up a test, but I have a few other things in the queue first.

• Like 1