IGNORED

What are your top Atari 5200 to get hold of but haven’t yet?

Giles N

Hmm... well I'm sure I speak for many of the 5200 collectors that do not yet have complete collections when I say Bounty Bob is likely the top of that list?

Aside from that I pretty much have all the other games I'd want and would be likely to play for my 5200 at this point. Although now that I think about I still need a Zenji for the 5200 and those aren't cheap anymore either LOL!

I've been working on hard on my 5200 collection, but there's still a handful of homebrews I need to get.  I need to place an order for Scramble and Realsports Curling yet from the AtariAge store.  Video61 released A LOT of 5200 homebrews last year, and I've only picked up one so far (Tile Smashers, which, by the way, is a good concept, programmed well, but suffers from being too easy.) 

So to fill out the "top five most wanted" I'd add NovaWolf (Star Fox), Animal Keep (Zookeeper), and Putt 18.  Which would still leave Delta Space Arena (Omega Race) and Megaoids (Asteroids) ... slow down, Pete and Video 61, please!

15 hours ago, Asaki said:

I don't even have a 5200 yet :) Just a 600XL.

Not quite sure what would be the operational difference between a 600XL (I don’t have one) and the 5200.

But the latter has a provided lots of fun relaxation-time for me.

Totally love it!

But it needs more hardware joystick options...!

Edited by Giles N

I'm only missing nine of the official releases, so those are the games I most want.

Gorf

Bounty Bob Strikes Back

Meteorites

James Bond

Death Star Battle

Zaxxon

Frogger II

Krazy Shoot Out

Quintana Roo

I'm not really collecting homebrews/conversions, although I do own several.  The only upcoming one that I'm anxious to get is Mr. Do, whenever that happens.

2 hours ago, rayik said:

Only game I do not have:  Bounty Bob Strike Back.

About 6 years ago (because of how much I enjoyed Miner 2049er) I too felt compelled to try to obtain the sequel. 

After a night of some big drinking I placed a bid on Ebay for something like $450 for a BBSB cart only.  Happily I woke up the next morning to find that I was out-bidded. 

Shortly after, I got a disk copy of Bounty Bob for my Commodore 64 and am happy to say that it "scratched the itch" of wanting to own the holy grail 5200 version.  Great game, a point of pride in any classic video game collection but really not worth robbing Fort Knox to pay for it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/8/2020 at 1:38 AM, AverageSoftware said:

I'm only missing nine of the official releases, so those are the games I most want.

Gorf

Bounty Bob Strikes Back

Meteorites

James Bond

Death Star Battle

Zaxxon

Frogger II

Krazy Shoot Out

Quintana Roo

I'm not really collecting homebrews/conversions, although I do own several.  The only upcoming one that I'm anxious to get is Mr. Do, whenever that happens.

Hey man,

aren’t you making homebrews yourself?

??????????

What I want does not exist, and probably will not exist... A VGA or HDMI output kit.

At one point I was excited when a friend said he's do the composite mod for me, but the ball was dropped, and I'm not going to bring it up with him.

So, like many other things, I've also been losing interest in the 5200 as well, because quite frankly, the RF output on mine SUCKS! 

So tell me, with a lack of interest, how much money would you drop into something you've not turned on in at least three months?

On 2/7/2020 at 6:38 PM, AverageSoftware said:

Gorf

Bounty Bob Strikes Back

Meteorites

James Bond

Death Star Battle

Zaxxon

Frogger II

Krazy Shoot Out

Quintana Roo

Let me just strike James Bond off the list for you.  It always gets my vote as the worst 5200 game.  Unless you REALLY want to own a version of Moon Patrol filled with turds then just forget about it and only pick it up if it falls in your lap with no effort at all.

2 hours ago, --- Ω --- said:

What I want does not exist, and probably will not exist... A VGA or HDMI output kit.

At one point I was excited when a friend said he's do the composite mod for me, but the ball was dropped, and I'm not going to bring it up with him.

So, like many other things, I've also been losing interest in the 5200 as well, because quite frankly, the RF output on mine SUCKS! 

So tell me, with a lack of interest, how much money would you drop into something you've not turned on in at least three months?

I'm guessing like most of us, you own multiple retro systems. If that's the case, consider which ones you want to divest yourself of.

I had big plans for the Intellivision and sunk a lot of money into 1.) The LTO flashcart, 2.) an RGB mod kit, and 3.) The voice module.

But I would never be happy until I custom built some kind of arcade joystick control for it because I absolutely hate the Intellivision controllers.

I had to get realistic about when I would find time to build that controller. A couple of years have passed, and I have ongoing projects for other systems: Sega Saturn, Vectrex, etc.

I just said goodbye to all my Intellivision gear. Sold it at a loss. But for me, I think that was the right move.

5 hours ago, --- Ω --- said:

Well, there is the aspect that you know that down the line you'll want to own/play it and so hanging onto it now, getting the certain games or peripherals now, when they're more available and possibly cheaper, is worth it.  Nothing burns me more than realizing that, hey, I knew back then I wanted this thing eventually, I should have fucking bought it back then when those really cool and now apparently really rare items were all over the place and affordable even though I wasn't that desperate to get them, now I have to search the Earth and whore myself out to eBay sellers to piece to together most of the collection at 10x the price, fuck!  It is infuriating so I have long ago figured out to bite the cheaper bullet now and collect early.  If I decide I legitimately don't care enough about it anymore or it's impossible to be satisfied because too much of the original stuff is lost to time, unattainable, then I bail on it.  I have zero time right now to play my 5200 or Vectrex but, goddammit, I'm scooping up every cool game and homebrew I hear about because when I do have the time all that shit will be there ready to go instead of me having to track it down and find out that nobody has them or it was a 30-copy run only or whatever.  No thanks, that's too annoying to deal with (for me at least).

On 2/25/2020 at 5:18 AM, adam242 said:

If you already have a 600XL, there is no need for a 5200 unless you like playing Atari 800 games with an inferior joystick ?

Inferior, - when playing STAR WARS ARCADE-,  only in your mind it is!!!

Edited by Giles N
  • Like 1