IGNORED

Chris Cardillo interview

rietveld

Geez, now I've got to wipe the vomit off my shirt.  Anyway, can't believe this video only has two down votes!!!!

I posted the following in the video comments.  Tried to keep it neutral and factual.  Also thought I'd at least try and push some business toward CollectorVision.

1. If you're looking for a true ColecoVision experience, instead of some throw in the trash after one play "micro",  then check out the CollectorVision Phoenix console: https://collectorvision.com/shop/colecovision/collectorvision-phoenix/
  2. ALL of the ColecoVision homebrew publishers have completely disowned Chris Cardillo and want nothing at all to do with him.  Checkout the AtariAge forums for more info.
  3. Chris Cardillo is simply the current owner of the Coleco and ColecoVision trademark "brands" and has absolutely nothing to do with the original Coleco Industries company or their products.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Ikrananka said:

Geez, now I've got to wipe the vomit off my shirt.  Anyway, can't believe this video only has two down votes!!!!

I posted the following in the video comments.  Tried to keep it neutral and factual.  Also thought I'd at least try and push some business toward CollectorVision.

1. If you're looking for a true ColecoVision experience, instead of some throw in the trash after one play "micro",  then check out the CollectorVision Phoenix console: https://collectorvision.com/shop/colecovision/collectorvision-phoenix/
  2. ALL of the ColecoVision homebrew publishers have completely disowned Chris Cardillo and want nothing at all to do with him.  Checkout the AtariAge forums for more info.
  3. Chris Cardillo is simply the current owner of the Coleco and ColecoVision trademark "brands" and has absolutely nothing to do with the original Coleco Industries company or their products.

I posted this link for those exact reasons. I watched the entire video waiting for some reference to the new stuff but he seemed more interested in plugging himself instead of a return to the original brand 

• Like 2

He just doesn't really own anything of value to license.  It's not easy making your own products and he did try with that rainbow brite tabletop.

When asked about the arcade1up microconsole he did describe it as a cute little collectible.  The question is will arcade1up do their due diligence when licensing the games, unlike atgames.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2020 at 10:25 PM, Tron Unit said:

That guy is such a douche.  

Correctomundo.  It is shocking that holders of IPs like Coleco behave like him instead of really trying to get involved with the community and pull together resources to make new and interesting products.  But, when there is money to (potentially) be made, scuzzbuckets will come out of the woodwork to try and get their fair share.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Hwlngmad said:

Correctomundo.  It is shocking that holders of IPs like Coleco behave like him instead of really trying to get involved with the community and pull together resources to make new and interesting products.  But, when there is money to (potentially) be made, scuzzbuckets will come out of the woodwork to try and get their fair share.

I just think it's amusing that they thought they were sitting on some kind of Nintendo-like IP mine that was going to rake in cash.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, dj_convoy said:

I just think it's amusing that they thought they were sitting on some kind of Nintendo-like IP mine that was going to rake in cash.

I wonder if someone at the holding company that bought the Coleco name thought they were getting Donkey Kong as part of the trademark grab, because it was so closely associated with ColecoVision? They used the great ape for promoting their poorly attended Coleco Expo in New Jersey. 

628434003_ScreenShot2020-02-07at12_33_33PM.thumb.png.eeac58a7bdb7c0f7d9b9a77e28c60a55.png

I see Cardillo (as well as Chesnais, and T a l l a r i c o*) as cautionary tales. What would I do if I owned a beloved old brand? Probably nothing much, but I know what NOT to do. 

*spaced out so he doesn't search for his name and come in here with his fscking sales pitch

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Flojomojo said:

I wonder if someone at the holding company that bought the Coleco name thought they were getting Donkey Kong as part of the trademark grab, because it was so closely associated with ColecoVision? They used the great ape for promoting their poorly attended Coleco Expo in New Jersey. 

Ahh the coleco expo .. totally forgot about that. I wonder what ever happened to Tina and ValaVision?

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Flojomojo said:

628434003_ScreenShot2020-02-07at12_33_33PM.thumb.png.eeac58a7bdb7c0f7d9b9a77e28c60a55.png

I see Cardillo (as well as Chesnais, and T a l l a r i c o*) as cautionary tales. What would I do if I owned a beloved old brand? Probably nothing much, but I know what NOT to do. 

*spaced out so he doesn't search for his name and come in here with his fscking sales pitch

I think he DEFINITELY thought he somehow had a piece of DK. I seem to recall them trying to lay their hooks into Zaxxon, as well. 

If any of these people trying to cash in on old name brand nostalgia, particularly in our little sphere, every wonder why some of us are so cynical and leary they need look no further than the escapades of this cheesy huckster. I mean, here's someone who came in, more than once even after he had been rejected by the community with actual sales pitches!

• Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 12:32 PM, Flojomojo said:

Coleco Holdings (River West Brands) didn't buy the Coleco name, they claimed an unused trademark.  Didn't pay anyone, anything for it other than registration fees.  They know exactly what they have and are walking or crossing a fine line of infringement of others' properties.

Infogrames (now Atari SA) did buy the Atari name and games as part of the $100M aquisition of Hasbro Interactive.  But they've been fighting bankruptcy for a long time.  Not sure if they created anything over that time.

Tallarico partnered with Intellivision Productions who have owned the Intellivision intellectual properties since 1997.  He's investing millions in the brand.  Sometimes I wish he didn't name his new company after the old Mattel console but they own it and are working hard to create something new.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, sn8k said:

Don't be such a dweeb. I was implying it would be better if he brought Colecovision back instead of Intellivision with not so many words.

What Colecovision games would you have reimagined.  They are making new Atari games for Amico, why not some Colecovision games.

Edited by mr_me

3 hours ago, mr_me said:

What Colecovision games would you have reimagined.  They are making new Atari games for Amico, why not some Colecovision games.

Well for one....I would do absolutely everything in my power to get a Donkey Kong and Jr license. I would give Nintendo the rights to the entire catalog of Coleco if I had to.

Pepper 3, Oil's Well, War Room, Zaxxon ( beg SEGA)....

Rocky.... but it would be a more advanced boxing game and career mode..... though centered around Creed.

Everyone needs a mascot. I feel Sydney Hunter fits that bill. I would go aggressively into that and try to make him the star.

Lady Bug, Mouse Trap, Looping etc...

Fortune Builder is a sick game, imagine that in full 3D

EarthWorm Jim has nothing to do with intellivision other than the guy making the big push for the Amico did the music for the game back in the day along with a zillion other 16 bitgames.......more than I thought. achieving legend status in the industry along the way. This could easily have been  a Coleco game instead. Considering SEGA put out more games on Colecovision than they did intellivision....if any... the new Ecco/dolphin game made by the team who did the SEGA games.... seems more at home on Colecovision....EVE. 

I consider Gorf to be a Coleco game. I  never think of the arcade version or the Jaguar version. Though I will be buying ChampGames version on 2600 just because it really is a great game. But still. I will always see it as a Coleco game.

Tarzan was a sick game...... Or It Came From The Jungle depending on what your label reads to this awesomeness deserves a remaster.  Those colors are burned into my mind.

Lastly, I would just take what ever I could license wise. Castlevania, any SEGA IP they were willing to give me...AfterBurner, Hang On, etc

Dreamcast and Genesis games.....certain Saturn titles if it was feasible in any way....even if I had to cheat. Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force 3....all episodes. SEGA has a decently sized presence on the original machine.....I'd bring them back to the fold.

9 minutes ago, OriginalJohn said:

That Zaxxon is horrible and un-restored.   Zaxxon is a big joke over on the KLOV forums in case you were not wondering about it.

Thats why were talking about a hypothetical console that Tommy would have brought back instead of an intellivision Amico..... though I would sell the original version as well digitally.... I would have an entirely new Zaxxon game. One that shifted multiple perspectives, had a small story, high score run... leaderboards etc.