IGNORED

[AQUARIUS] Aquarius Collecting List

EdgeOfPortal

12 minutes ago, Lathe26 said:

Regarding the 4-color printers:

1. Have you considered opening up the printers to take photos of the circuitry inside?  I'd be curious if any particular company is listed on the circuit board.
  2. Have you thought about photographing or scanning in the manual?  There is already a PDF available but some of the pages are in the wrong order and half of the pages don't have visible page numbers to (i.e. it's hard to figure out the correct order of pages).

Hi, I’ll see about opening them both up this weekend. I’ll post pictures of the boards in this thread.

In regards to scanning the manual, I believe the PDF you’d be referring to is the one I made of my first unit’s manual, as I don’t believe anyone else made a scan. I wasn’t aware it had pages out of order and/or missing. Fortunately, this new unit has a new manual that seems to be in much better shape. I’ll scan it again, but it’s quite long so it may take me a while.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, EdgeOfPortal said:

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/334140873547?hash=item4dcc591b4b:g:FIYAAOSwx6Zgs~1a

French Aquarius, instructions in full French. Has this been seen before?

Ah neat! So looks like a standard issue Radofin Aquarius (box with English/French/German/Italian/Spanish) but with the instruction manuals in French, right? I assume that most (all?) of the Aquarius systems sold in France came this way. I personally have not seen the French instruction manuals, but I live in the US :)

1 hour ago, EdgeOfPortal said:

Yep! Still need to get one of those. I have to wonder how many different language variants there are. English, Italian, French, German, probably Arabic, anything else?

In The Netherlands we got an English manual and some seem to have an extra Dutch short manual included in the packaging. https://www.handleidi.ng/mattel/aquarius/handleiding

It wasn't included when I bought mine which was still a Mattel branded one. Maybe it was only issued after Mattel gave the rights back to Radofin? 

Edited by Aquaman

On 9/30/2021 at 10:59 PM, Aquaman said:

In The Netherlands we got an English manual and some seem to have an extra Dutch short manual included in the packaging. https://www.handleidi.ng/mattel/aquarius/handleiding

It wasn't included when I bought mine which was still a Mattel branded one. Maybe it was only issued after Mattel gave the rights back to Radofin? 

My PAL Mattel Aquarius came from the Netherlands (with English instructions). In fact it was originally made for the UK.

• 3 months later...

The long awaited Aquarius Collecting list v3.0 is here!

If you have new information to add, discuss here or at the Aquarius Computer Discord Server (https://discord.gg/TjCZZZ8HZQ)

Current Version: v3.0

The list now consists of 81 cassette tapes, 35 cartridges (incl. variants), 17 hardware (incl. variants), 16 literature items, and 5 bundles.

Changelog:
v3.0 (1/27/22)
-Added Doomsday Defender (Cassette) from Cronosoft/Roy Templeman
-Added Turmoil 2022 (Cartridge/Cassette) from 8-Bit Milli Games
-Added Games Pack 3 and 4 (Cassette) from Processor Software
-Added the Radofin variant of Biorhythms (Cartridge)
-Added a US variant of the 4-Color Printer and changed the original to reflect the European version
-Added Thinking About [TLC] Logo for Mattel Aquarius (Literature)
-Added Kronos Europea Bundle (Bundle)

Aquarius Computer Collecting List v3.0.xlsx

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/27/2022 at 11:34 PM, EdgeOfPortal said:

The long awaited Aquarius Collecting list v3.0 is here!

If you have new information to add, discuss here or at the Aquarius Computer Discord Server (https://discord.gg/TjCZZZ8HZQ)

Current Version: v3.0

The list now consists of 81 cassette tapes, 35 cartridges (incl. variants), 17 hardware (incl. variants), 16 literature items, and 5 bundles.

Changelog:
v3.0 (1/27/22)
-Added Doomsday Defender (Cassette) from Cronosoft/Roy Templeman
-Added Turmoil 2022 (Cartridge/Cassette) from 8-Bit Milli Games
-Added Games Pack 3 and 4 (Cassette) from Processor Software
-Added the Radofin variant of Biorhythms (Cartridge)
-Added a US variant of the 4-Color Printer and changed the original to reflect the European version
-Added Thinking About [TLC] Logo for Mattel Aquarius (Literature)
-Added Kronos Europea Bundle (Bundle)

Aquarius Computer Collecting List v3.0.xlsx 20 kB · 8 downloads

Hello mate, can I ask for a couple of changes/updates?
My games, Aquariworm needs 8K not 4K, BCII has 3 different versions on the same tape. A 4K version, an 8K version and a 16K version (not sure how you want to show that?). All good with Doomsday Defender! 

I am also working on Warp Factor (a Star Trek game), you may have seen my screenshots on discord or twitter. I havent really decided whether or not I want to publish it as a cassette yet, or just make it a digital download. Cronosoft are keen to publish though, so you might want to add that? Its a 16K game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Loudscotsbloke said:

Hello mate, can I ask for a couple of changes/updates?
My games, Aquariworm needs 8K not 4K, BCII has 3 different versions on the same tape. A 4K version, an 8K version and a 16K version (not sure how you want to show that?). All good with Doomsday Defender! 

I am also working on Warp Factor (a Star Trek game), you may have seen my screenshots on discord or twitter. I havent really decided whether or not I want to publish it as a cassette yet, or just make it a digital download. Cronosoft are keen to publish though, so you might want to add that? Its a 16K game.

Of course! I will make those changes in the next version for Aquariworm and Bomb Catcher II. Not quite sure how to show the different versions for BCII but I’ll think of something.

As for Warp Factor, I’ll add it if it ends up getting a cassette release. The list is for physical releases only. Though, if enough people agree, perhaps I can add a digital section. Appreciate your work in the Aquarius homebrew scene, by the way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/5/2022 at 6:26 PM, Loudscotsbloke said:

My games, Aquariworm needs 8K not 4K, BCII has 3 different versions on the same tape.

I think this is tricky, and brings into question the best way to go about documenting memory requirements. Take, for example, most of the games by Add-On Electronics which list the 16k Memory requirement. They mean that they require the 16K RAM cart, so really you need 20K, since 4K was built-in, right? Your Aquariworm requires the 4K RAM cart, with 4 + 4 = 8, right? I wonder if BCII should say something like Standard+, to indicate it can run on a stock Aquarius but also has versions that work with the 4K and 16K RAM carts?

Personally, I think the Memory requirement column in the spreadsheet should refer to whether any additional memory is required, and if so, how much extra. I do see for titles that don't require any additional memory, they have "Standard" in that column on the spreadsheet.

Just my two cents/pence! ?

26 minutes ago, sixersfan105 said:

I think this is tricky, and brings into question the best way to go about documenting memory requirements. Take, for example, most of the games by Add-On Electronics which list the 16k Memory requirement. They mean that they require the 16K RAM cart, so really you need 20K, since 4K was built-in, right? Your Aquariworm requires the 4K RAM cart, with 4 + 4 = 8, right? I wonder if BCII should say something like Standard+, to indicate it can run on a stock Aquarius but also has versions that work with the 4K and 16K RAM carts?

Personally, I think the Memory requirement column in the spreadsheet should refer to whether any additional memory is required, and if so, how much extra. I do see for titles that don't require any additional memory, they have "Standard" in that column on the spreadsheet.

Just my two cents/pence! ?

The original intent was to list additional memory. Given the circumstances behind some of these tapes and that I don’t own most of them to check, I can’t confirm the memory requirements in most cases, but generally I would like to keep it as additional.

That’s why as you pointed out, many games have ‘standard’ listed, meaning they can run on a stock Aquarius, while other games list other amounts.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Was hoping to win this one myself, but didn’t end up succeeding.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125635317817?

New unseen Aquarius software, the Arabic editor. This brings the list of total official retail cartridges to 21, up from 20. Demo cart is not included in this count as it was used only in sales. It’ll be added in the next release of the Aquarius collecting list.

This cart is presumably exclusive to Egypt, and is likely the only one in existence.

If the person who won this reads this post, please, please dump the cartridge.

Edited by EdgeOfPortal

31 minutes ago, EdgeOfPortal said:

New unseen Aquarius software, the Arabic editor. This brings the list of total official retail cartridges to 21, up from 20. Demo cart is not included in this count as it was used only in sales. It’ll be added in the next release of the Aquarius collecting list.

This cart is presumably exclusive to Egypt, and is likely the only one in existence.

Wow! Cool. I have one of the Arabic Intellivisions, neat to see there's an Aquarius version as well as a cart. Awesome that we're still finding things for these systems. 

1 hour ago, EdgeOfPortal said:

Very cool! Looks like it's still an active listing and available to purchase. The way you phrased it makes it sound as though it already sold. I certainly won't be purchasing it at $3,600 lol. 

14 minutes ago, sixersfan105 said:

Very cool! Looks like it's still an active listing and available to purchase. The way you phrased it makes it sound as though it already sold. I certainly won't be purchasing it at $3,600 lol. 

It has been sold, it’s listed as out of stock. The listing is still up, but the seller has it set up as if it were a multiple quantity item, so it just says ‘out of stock’.

55 minutes ago, EdgeOfPortal said:

It has been sold, it’s listed as out of stock. The listing is still up, but the seller has it set up as if it were a multiple quantity item, so it just says ‘out of stock’.

Ah gotcha. That's a weird way to do it. Can't believe someone paid $3,600 for this. Unless it sold for less? Also, assuming Arabic Editor was an official release to Egypt, which it appears to be, I'm sure another copy will show up at some point!

That seller of that editor cartridge has had some very unique Arabic development artifacts in the past. Including this prototype (ML) game that was part of a really run-down cassette player lot. Nobody has ever heard of or seen it before. The developer released a couple unrelated (but artistically similar) games for Amstrad in the 1980s but nothing for Aquarius. It is not a very playable prototype but a cool artifact none-the-less, I will be sharing the cassette image once finalized with digitizing.

Venedig - "A three dimensional game, it needs concentration and fast response from the player. The following view consists of three houses built in water and joined together by a solid way, blind men exit from the leftmost house and you have to drive them to any of the two other houses, the blue (rightmost) one gives you a bonus of '20', the red one gives you a bonus of '10', the game starts with '9' lives. When a man falls into water the number of lives is decremented by one. If you finished all of your lives the game will restart automatically with 00000 score and '9' lives.

03068DA3-0264-4451-ABCB-1BAB08395360.thumb.jpg.470766d5721d7c26c9e1c17542da7961.jpg

C75E912C-6845-4A7A-A433-634E730BC5D9.thumb.jpg.3194816fa3dea5d10009c60cb33ea99c.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MattPilz said:

That seller of that editor cartridge has had some very unique Arabic development artifacts in the past. Including this prototype (ML) game that was part of a really run-down cassette player lot. Nobody has ever heard of or seen it before. The developer released a couple unrelated (but artistically similar) games for Amstrad in the 1980s but nothing for Aquarius. It is not a very playable prototype but a cool artifact none-the-less, I will be sharing the cassette image once finalized with digitizing.

Venedig - "A three dimensional game, it needs concentration and fast response from the player. The following view consists of three houses built in water and joined together by a solid way, blind men exit from the leftmost house and you have to drive them to any of the two other houses, the blue (rightmost) one gives you a bonus of '20', the red one gives you a bonus of '10', the game starts with '9' lives. When a man falls into water the number of lives is decremented by one. If you finished all of your lives the game will restart automatically with 00000 score and '9' lives.

03068DA3-0264-4451-ABCB-1BAB08395360.thumb.jpg.470766d5721d7c26c9e1c17542da7961.jpg

C75E912C-6845-4A7A-A433-634E730BC5D9.thumb.jpg.3194816fa3dea5d10009c60cb33ea99c.jpg

Please share it! I can't believe I've missed this seller in the past. I have to wonder just how much middle-eastern exclusive Aquarius software there is.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EdgeOfPortal said:

Please share it! I can't believe I've missed this seller in the past. I have to wonder just how much middle-eastern exclusive Aquarius software there is.

I found it super interesting to see how Aquarius was translated into Arabic on the title screen complete with the rainbow color fills, using the original character set.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EdgeOfPortal said:

Yeah they are huge into the vintage tech scene. They always have a million MSX computers, among many others. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, everyone. The old Aquarius serial number database at GeekVintage has long since been shutdown, and I feel it's about time for that to be fixed. Starting today, my Aquarius Computer Serial Number Database is now available!

It includes all Aquarius hardware, as well as select difficult to obtain cartridges.

You can submit your Aquarius serial numbers whenever it is convenient here:
https://forms.gle/BExXHTuuybzYpTY58
The sheet itself is available here for viewing:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1suxtWmP6a0InPC74ZCPC7keyDvXlE88b70H_0DTbg1o/edit?usp=sharing

Once the list has a decent number of serials, my belief is that we'll be able to establish some patterns between serial numbers and uncover more information about our favorite blue keyboard. Additionally, it will help us determine just how many units of each Aquarius product were produced, and for what region, under what variant.

This post will be mirrored at the new Aquarius Serial Number Database topic here on AtariAge, and at the Aquarius discord server.
https://discord.gg/YjHfdK2

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Intymike said:

can you give me an example for what is meant by Logo is on the right/left side?

Yep! Should’ve clarified this. Apologies for the low quality photos, but here’s an example. Radofin produced two variants of the standard Aquarius branded system. One with the Aquarius logo on the left, and one on the right. From what I can tell, the right one is more common.

404C095D-6822-4970-BD98-9E80B09114B8.jpeg

4F0F9044-16CC-4D7F-9165-0FDA6FD3AF94.jpeg