IGNORED

Lynx High Score Club Record Breaker Thread

roadrunner

Every now and then people want to post a score for a game we played before this HSC.
The record had to be set when the current game was played,
but for this round you can play any game that has a score in the Atariage Lynx HSC records book.
See thread here.

Rules -

If you can beat the record to any game, just post a score.

Play has many games as you want , play on the same settings listed for each game.

I'll leave this round open for a few months for those that don't always check in with this HSC

Deadline to post scores is May 1st 2020 at 12PM EST

Final scores 

Games with records broken -

Ninja Gaiden 140,400 by jeremiahjt

Ninja Gaiden III 533,700 by jeremiahjt

Any corrections please post

Edited by roadrunner
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, this is really hard!  Appropriately so, given the three months we have, but still.  It's a pretty clever challenge, and as a bonus it might get me to try all sorts of stuff I haven't spent much time with before.  So far I've been working on three or four different games, and I haven't come close to a high score on any of them...even some of my own records.

• Like 1

I didn't consider the extra points I got from all those extra men I collected.  I should have taken a picture after I used my last non-farmed life.  I think I picked up 5 or 6 to get to 9.  One thing to consider is that 1-up farming was only to gain the extra lives and not to rack up points.  My score before picking up the 1-ups was 533,700, which I think is still enough for a new record.

I don't see why 1-up farming shouldn't be allowed.  It's programmed into the game, and it's available to everybody.  The bigger challenge is getting that far in such a brutally hard game (and huge kudos to you, jeremiahjt, for doing so).

I know roadrunner has already chosen to accept the score.  I'm only posting this because it reminds me of rule #7 in the HSC Rules thread (no exploiting bugs), and my disagreement with it.  In my mind, a competition should be based on the default software, as-is.  If a game permits you to perform a given technique, whether or not the developer intended it, I feel it should be allowed in a high score competition.  A skilled, experienced player will generally know a game better than a new player, and that might include knowing tricks to maximize one's score.  Speedrun records generally allow all sorts of exploits as long as the player is using the original software with no emulation tools.  I find it weird that emulation is allowed in our HSC, but not bugs and exploits.

That said, I have no problem playing by the rules, as this is not my competition or my thread.  I would just choose to do things a little differently if it was up to me.  :)

Edited by PFG 9000
Forgot to add one point

20 hours ago, PFG 9000 said:

I don't see why 1-up farming shouldn't be allowed.  It's programmed into the game, and it's available to everybody.  The bigger challenge is getting that far in such a brutally hard game (and huge kudos to you, jeremiahjt, for doing so).

I know roadrunner has already chosen to accept the score.  I'm only posting this because it reminds me of rule #7 in the HSC Rules thread (no exploiting bugs), and my disagreement with it.  In my mind, a competition should be based on the default software, as-is.  If a game permits you to perform a given technique, whether or not the developer intended it, I feel it should be allowed in a high score competition.  A skilled, experienced player will generally know a game better than a new player, and that might include knowing tricks to maximize one's score.  Speedrun records generally allow all sorts of exploits as long as the player is using the original software with no emulation tools.  I find it weird that emulation is allowed in our HSC, but not bugs and exploits.

That said, I have no problem playing by the rules, as this is not my competition or my thread.  I would just choose to do things a little differently if it was up to me.  :)

Thanks for the input. :)
It looks like jeremiahjt played NG3 on real hardware and about emulation i think most HSC's here on AA allow emulation
and the Atari 5200 HSC has special real hardware only rounds.
It's good to have discussion for this stuff. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, last time we played Rygar here I got pretty good at it and I got addicted and kept playing it after that. I don't remember what I scored, but I started playing it again for this record breaker round and have finished the game a couple of times. But I'm not getting close to the record of 2,191,680. I've scored just under 1,800,000. The record holder must have gotten the point doubler very early and kept it. Without it you don't stand much of a chance.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...