IGNORED

What, In Your Opinion, Is the Best Computer Game of the 1980s?

bluejay

Star Raiders made me want an Atari, but it came out in the 70s, so does it even count here?
As for Monkey Island, how is 1990 part of the 80s again?  I actually looked it up because I thought it was deserving, but... 1990 ain't the 80s.
I'd love to include Infocom games, but text adventures started in the 70s so I pass on them.  At least games like 'The Pawn' also had graphics.

Populous, War Monger. Wizardry, Dungeon Master, Ultima, and King's Quest have to be on the short list.
Dungeons of Daggorath would be on my list, but the key commands make it a bit awkward, and it didn't sell nearly as many copies as the others.

On 3/25/2020 at 1:35 AM, ClausB said:

The 2600 version is a far cry from the original, which, in 1980, was more spectacular than even arcade games.

Well then, I'll have to get myself an Atari 8-bit computer some day.

On 3/26/2020 at 7:09 AM, JamesD said:

Star Raiders made me want an Atari, but it came out in the 70s, so does it even count here?
As for Monkey Island, how is 1990 part of the 80s again?  I actually looked it up because I thought it was deserving, but... 1990 ain't the 80s.
I'd love to include Infocom games, but text adventures started in the 70s so I pass on them.  At least games like 'The Pawn' also had graphics.

Populous, War Monger. Wizardry, Dungeon Master, Ultima, and King's Quest have to be on the short list.
Dungeons of Daggorath would be on my list, but the key commands make it a bit awkward, and it didn't sell nearly as many copies as the others.

Sure, anything made before 1/1/1990

I like the commands in DoD. You can use the long version("Move" "Get Right Torch") or the shortened version("M" "G R T"). It makes a whole lot more sense than a lot of games that use text commands. And also, how many copies does a game need to sell before it becomes a good one? DoD is an obscure gem(or at least, until Ready Player One came out) of the 80s, and the only reason it isn't as well known as Super Mario Bros is because it was exclusive to a computer that never was very popular in the first place.

There are so very many excellent titles to choose from -- computer games, console games, and even arcade games.

I am a huge fan of RPGs, so if we count the date of the Japanese release (1987), I would vote for Final Fantasy. It is not an amazing game in and of itself, but it launched an important series that is still ongoing. My second choice would be Dragon Warrior.

I am not a fan of shumps and related genres, but Zaxxon is my all-time favourite arcade game.  

I can't answer this question. There are too many variables. I'd be here all day and only have a shortlist. If I were going Atari I'd go Joust 2600.

But of course that is ineligible as you put 'Computer'. Um, Bubble Bobble Commodore 64. The best 16 bit / Amiga games came in the 90s, a handful of exceptions aside.

The IBM PC/compatibles were piss-poor for games and the only exception to this, off the top of my head, is the wonderful , qualifying Prince of Persia which I saw and played on a guy from school's dad's 386? in 1989.

16 hours ago, sixersfan105 said:

Oregon Trail and it's not close ?

My Oregon Trail disk for my Apple II won't load...

Canadians might think Cross Country Canada is better, but personally, I can't figure out how to play it.

Oregon Trail is fun but I don't think its the best computer game of the 80s with so many other fun games.

37 minutes ago, bluejay said:

My Oregon Trail disk for my Apple II won't load...

Canadians might think Cross Country Canada is better, but personally, I can't figure out how to play it.

Oregon Trail is fun but I don't think its the best computer game of the 80s with so many other fun games.

Yeah I mean obviously it's all a matter of opinion. Oregon Trail arguably has had the most staying power and cultural relevance, etc. 

Nobody mentioned M.U.L.E.?   (saw someone mention E.A. though)

I was never any good at Silent Service, but I had a friend that mastered it on the C-64, so he would control the sub and give me commands to co-pilot with the keyboard.  The last sortie on the list could take a couple of hours to complete....

I always liked any rogue-like bird's eye view dungeon crawler, there were tons of clones...

Mail Order Monsters...Racing Destruction Set....The Bard's Tale series...too bad we didn't 'log hours' of playtime like we do now, Electronic Arts sapped YEARS of my early youth.

hell...blindly pick ANY E.A. game from the 80's and it's probably got some replay value!

Any RPG from SSI was usually decent...Microprose had the flight/combat sims...

Great American Cross Country Road Race....this one you had to be able to play without interruptions....

That was the greatest thing about 80's games, they were pushing the boundaries of imagination, not re-hashing a flagship franchise character...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/8/2020 at 9:01 PM, eddhell said:

Nobody mentioned M.U.L.E.?   (saw someone mention E.A. though)

MULE is my Pick

On 4/8/2020 at 9:01 PM, eddhell said:

Mail Order Monsters...Racing Destruction Set

I wanted to like these, but they fell a little short for me.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, zzip said:

I wanted to like these, but they fell a little short for me.  

they both had awesome construction kits - lots of options for the track parts and monster upgrades - but the actual "action" parts were shallow, i agree.

I would like to see modern mods for these two especially- add some simple one player missions for Monsters (get rid of the flag capture type crap) and make some kind of racing circuit where you can set up a continuous racing season using a list of your own built tracks for Destruction Set....

Just a little more depth in the gameplay would have made these two games so much more re-playable...

Edited by eddhell

On 5/1/2020 at 10:22 AM, eddhell said:

they both had awesome construction kits - lots of options for the track parts and monster upgrades - but the actual "action" parts were shallow, i agree.

yeah, that was the problem in a nutshell.   you could spend all this time building something you think is great, and then you go an play it and it doesn't feel like anything special because the gameplay is kinda weak.

Edited by zzip