IGNORED

What, In Your Opinion, Is the Best Computer Game of the 1980s?

bluejay

On 4/3/2020 at 2:27 PM, ∞ Vince ∞ said:

I can't answer this question. There are too many variables. I'd be here all day and only have a shortlist. If I were going Atari I'd go Joust 2600.

But of course that is ineligible as you put 'Computer'. Um, Bubble Bobble Commodore 64. The best 16 bit / Amiga games came in the 90s, a handful of exceptions aside.

The IBM PC/compatibles were piss-poor for games and the only exception to this, off the top of my head, is the wonderful , qualifying Prince of Persia which I saw and played on a guy from school's dad's 386? in 1989.

If we're allowed to pick ports, I'd have to agree with Bubble Bobble and add in Rainbow Islands Amiga and a bunch of other computer (mostly C64) ports of arcade games.  Wizzard of Wor was pretty good on the old 64 too.  I lost a lot of hours to Frantic Freddie on the C64.

15 hours ago, ∞ Vince ∞ said:

Are you aware that a sequel, which basically replaces levels and music has been put together recently by some of the people over on Lemon64?

Download :

http://csdb.dk/getinternalfile.php/181311/FFII.d64

Yeah, I saw it a few months ago.  Great music in both versions.  I'm not as good as I used to be. Reflexes at 21 are a lot better than at 50!   I think that was the longest wait for a game sequel ever!

3 hours ago, christo930 said:

Yeah, I saw it a few months ago.  Great music in both versions.

Yeah, this guy has a tendency to use old rock tunes for 'inspiration'.

3 hours ago, christo930 said:

I think that was the longest wait for a game sequel ever!

Yeah. It's not by the original team/guy but I spoke to the graphics guy, and he assures me they did seek and get permission from the original guy before doing it, which is fair enough.

From what I understand, it is the same code-base, with the sound and graphics swapped over. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just (finally, after a year of on-and-off playing) completed Might & Magic: Book One, and it was absolutely amazing.  I might have to change my answer from Wizardry V: Heart of the Maelstrom...

Hard to believe such a massive non-linear game was developed and released by basically one guy working in his bedroom/garage in 1986! On top of that the interface is absolutely perfect once you get used to it... I'm playing Pool of Radiance now, and while it, too, is an amazing game, the interface is a major disappointment after playing M&M!

Edited by newtmonkey
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/8/2020 at 11:10 AM, dafivehole said:

King's Quest IV.  My first KQ game and I still love playing it to this day...

This! For me too it was my first King's Quest game. I first played in in 1992 for my Atari ST, and to this day I still have it, boxed and mint. It is probably my favorite KQ game, although I also had great fun with KQ V.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2020 at 12:31 AM, juansolo said:

At the time, Dungeon Master. Without question the biggest game for me and a total game changer in the RPG world.

For me, It's a toss up between Dungeon Master and Gauntlet.

and that eye-rolling voice that let you know your team mate messed up 

Red Warrior has shot the food...

Green Elf has shot the food...

so challenging and so fun

I actual;ly got the 2014 redo of it ... not too shabby

Edited by Mehridian Sanders

• 1 month later...
On 4/4/2020 at 7:50 AM, Random Terrain said:

SimCity was a 'game changer' for me in 1989 on my Commodore 64. I liked it better in the 1990s on my SNES console. I also liked console versions of Civilization in the 1990s and beyond.

But what about Little Computer People? I like to think of that one as Sim City 0.5.

On 4/7/2020 at 7:11 PM, sixersfan105 said:

Oregon Trail and it's not close ?

1971-1974. But who didn't play this on an Apple?

My choice would either be one of the Zork series or Spellbreaker. Why? Well, they were ported to essentially every system sold at the time; they had unparalleled parsers; outstanding storytelling; amazing packaging; and, with Zork, incredible and lasting influence. Yes, yes, I know the original Zork is a child of the '70s, but it truly flowered on the home computer.

It's probably not the "best" game out there, but I spent more hours on Phantasie than anything else in the '80s. Great fun.

9 hours ago, bluejay said:

I like Zork and its concept and detail. What I don't like is that you NEED some form of walkthrough or guide to beat it.

I agree 100% here.  My neighbor worked with a few friends and finished Zork I but couldnt get through II.  Wanting to see these games through on the 8bit I got a walk through and proceeded to finish I - III.  II and esp III were ridiculous some of the things you had to do in order to proceed.  I had -100% chance of completing those back in the day without some sort of hint guide an such.  This is why I dont hold the Zork titles in high regard.  I think Zork I was a tough whacky and potentially solvable mission, the others not.

34 minutes ago, Goochman said:

I agree 100% here.  My neighbor worked with a few friends and finished Zork I but couldnt get through II.  Wanting to see these games through on the 8bit I got a walk through and proceeded to finish I - III.  II and esp III were ridiculous some of the things you had to do in order to proceed.  I had -100% chance of completing those back in the day without some sort of hint guide an such.  This is why I dont hold the Zork titles in high regard.  I think Zork I was a tough whacky and potentially solvable mission, the others not.

You actually solved Zork I without a guide? I'm impressed!

Edit: oh, your neighbor. Still, I'm impressed.

Edited by bluejay
  • Like 1

I've recently fallen in love with Prince of Persia. I've been playing on my Compaq Portable II(monochrome green CGA; actually looks better than the weird default CGA palette) and I have to say, it's my favorite MS-DOS game so far, if not my favorite PC game of all time. No game that runs on such old PC had ever been so fun and addictive, but PoP does it. The music is great, controls could use some improvement but not horrible.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...