IGNORED

What, In Your Opinion, Is the Best Computer Game of the 1980s?

bluejay

1 hour ago, tuatara21 said:

Earl Weaver Baseball (Amiga)

MicroLeague Baseball

Lode Runner

Ultimate Wizard

Garry Kitchen's GameMaker

Might & Magic I & II

Arkanoid 1 & 2

Wizard of Wor

Adventure Construction Set

Pinball Construction Set

That's 11 good games, not 1. There can only be 1 best game...

• Haha 1

I wonder what part of "(one) (1) game" people can't understand.

This happens a lot in many threads about multiple themes. People get so carried away they can't just mention one game, movie, series, comic book... I even saw this happening this month in a Spanish forum when the question was "your best year in gaming" (and several users, of course, replied with 3 or 4 different periods of time...).

Edited by IntelliMission

9 hours ago, bluejay said:

Sucked on computers though. You want to play tetris on a controller.

Pah. Tetris may be marginally better on a controller than joystick (though even that's debatable), but it's not enough of a reason to say computer versions sucked. Especially teh ones where you could redefine keys.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IntelliMission said:

I wonder what part of "(one) (1) game" people can't understand.

This happens a lot in many threads about multiple themes. People get so carried away they can't just mention one game, movie, series, comic book... I even saw this happening this month in a Spanish forum when the question was "your best year in gaming" (and several users, of course, replied with 3 or 4 different periods of time...).

2 hours ago, cjherr said:

Star Raiders

These two posts are kind of hilarious together because ALSO in the title is "the 1980s."  As it has been pointed out already, Star Raiders was released in the 1970s.

On 3/27/2020 at 2:34 PM, bluejay said:

Well then, I'll have to get myself an Atari 8-bit computer some day.

Sure, anything made before 1/1/1990

I like the commands in DoD. You can use the long version("Move" "Get Right Torch") or the shortened version("M" "G R T"). It makes a whole lot more sense than a lot of games that use text commands. And also, how many copies does a game need to sell before it becomes a good one? DoD is an obscure gem(or at least, until Ready Player One came out) of the 80s, and the only reason it isn't as well known as Super Mario Bros is because it was exclusive to a computer that never was very popular in the first place.

"Sure, anything made before 1/1/1990". 

Star Raiders.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Omega-TI said:

I don't understand all the anal nit-picky stuff about Star Raiders over the years.  Okay, okay according to some it was ORIGINALLY released in 1979, but I bet more copies were purchased in the 1980's, especially as it was ported to other systems.  There has even been a << thread on this topic >> in the past.

But then wouldn't Tetris be a 90's game since that when it was most popular?

• Like 1

I think my view is that the "Strike Zone" is huge for this question.  Why do you need to extend beyond the very obvious and clear criteria in the title?  Start another thread if you think you need to work around it.

If you really can't think of a top game released in the 1980's then bless you.

53 minutes ago, zzip said:

But then wouldn't Tetris be a 90's game since that when it was most popular?

I only allowed Star Raiders because so many people were calling it their favorite 80s computer game, so instead of telling everyone to choose another game I simply decided to let people say what they want. The whole point of the "best computer game of the 80s" is to see what games people like, running on the more limited hardware. There's really no reason to exclude a game from the late 70s.