bluejay

What, In Your Opinion, Is the Best Computer Game of the 1980s?

Star Raiders made me want an Atari, but it came out in the 70s, so does it even count here?
As for Monkey Island, how is 1990 part of the 80s again?  I actually looked it up because I thought it was deserving, but... 1990 ain't the 80s.
I'd love to include Infocom games, but text adventures started in the 70s so I pass on them.  At least games like 'The Pawn' also had graphics.

Populous, War Monger. Wizardry, Dungeon Master, Ultima, and King's Quest have to be on the short list.
Dungeons of Daggorath would be on my list, but the key commands make it a bit awkward, and it didn't sell nearly as many copies as the others.

On 3/25/2020 at 1:35 AM, ClausB said:

The 2600 version is a far cry from the original, which, in 1980, was more spectacular than even arcade games.

Well then, I'll have to get myself an Atari 8-bit computer some day.

On 3/26/2020 at 7:09 AM, JamesD said:

Star Raiders made me want an Atari, but it came out in the 70s, so does it even count here?
As for Monkey Island, how is 1990 part of the 80s again?  I actually looked it up because I thought it was deserving, but... 1990 ain't the 80s.
I'd love to include Infocom games, but text adventures started in the 70s so I pass on them.  At least games like 'The Pawn' also had graphics.

Populous, War Monger. Wizardry, Dungeon Master, Ultima, and King's Quest have to be on the short list.
Dungeons of Daggorath would be on my list, but the key commands make it a bit awkward, and it didn't sell nearly as many copies as the others.

Sure, anything made before 1/1/1990

I like the commands in DoD. You can use the long version("Move" "Get Right Torch") or the shortened version("M" "G R T"). It makes a whole lot more sense than a lot of games that use text commands. And also, how many copies does a game need to sell before it becomes a good one? DoD is an obscure gem(or at least, until Ready Player One came out) of the 80s, and the only reason it isn't as well known as Super Mario Bros is because it was exclusive to a computer that never was very popular in the first place.