IGNORED

MAME 0.218 Released!

Tafoid

MAME 0.218

It’s time for MAME 0.218, the first MAME release of 2020!  We’ve added a couple of very interesting alternate versions of systems this month.  One is a location test version of NMK’s GunNail, with different stage order, wider player shot patterns, a larger player hitbox, and lots of other differences from the final release.  The other is The Last Apostle Puppetshow, an incredibly rare export version of Home Data’s Reikai Doushi.  Also significant is a newer version Valadon Automation’s Super Bagman.  There’s been enough progress made on Konami’s medal games for a number of them to be considered working, including Buttobi Striker, Dam Dam Boy, Korokoro Pensuke, Shuriken Boy and Yu-Gi-Oh Monster Capsule.  Don’t expect too much in terms of gameplay though — they’re essentially gambling games for children.

There are several major computer emulation advances in this release, in completely different areas.  Possibly most exciting is the ability to install and run Windows NT on the MIPS Magnum R4000 “Jazz” workstation, with working networking.  With the assistance of Ash Wolf, MAME now emulates the Psion Series 5mx PDA.  Psion’s EPOC32 operating system is the direct ancestor of the Symbian operating system, that powered a generation of smartphones.  IDE and SCSI hard disk support for Acorn 8-bit systems has been added, the latter being one of the components of the BBC Domesday Project system.  In PC emulation, Windows 3.1 is now usable with S3 ViRGE accelerated 2D video drivers.  F.Ulivi has contributed microcode-level emulation of the iSBC-202 floppy controller for the Intel Intellec MDS-II system, adding 8" floppy disk support.

Of course there are plenty of other improvements and additions, including re-dumps of all the incorrectly dumped GameKing cartridges, disassemblers for PACE, WE32100 and “RipFire” 88000, better Geneve 9640 emulation, and plenty of working software list additions.  You can get the source and 64-bit Windows binary packages from the download page (note that 32-bit Windows binaries and “zip-in-zip” source code are no longer supplied).

Edited by Tafoid
  • Like 1

I had a weird issue with Mame 0.217 and previous versions, with only 

the Namco Nostalgia plug and plays 1, and 2.

They played perfectly fine at 100% at first. Now, I everytime I play them,

they only run at 50% or slower, with no other changes. I haven't changed

any settings, video drivers or anything else, very puzzling.

However, with 0.218, they run perfectly at 100%, i didn't notice any other

slowdown with any other games. And I still don't know what caused the

slowdown in other versions. shrugs.

Glad they work better now, and they are adding more plug and play units.

later

21 hours ago, negative1 said:

I had a weird issue with Mame 0.217 and previous versions, with only 

the Namco Nostalgia plug and plays 1, and 2.

They played perfectly fine at 100% at first. Now, I everytime I play them,

they only run at 50% or slower, with no other changes. I haven't changed

any settings, video drivers or anything else, very puzzling.

However, with 0.218, they run perfectly at 100%, i didn't notice any other

slowdown with any other games. And I still don't know what caused the

slowdown in other versions. shrugs.

Glad they work better now, and they are adding more plug and play units.

later

At least in my quick testing of taitosn1/taitosn2 from 0.216 on all seem to run (in a -bench 20 test) at about 200-225% on my i5 3.2ghz.  Since you don't mention your CPU speed, it may be a close call if you are running something just a bit slower.  I'd try a freshly installed 0.217 in a new folder to see performance.  A configuration issue somewhere in the chain is possible and happens more often than you would think it would.  I am glad things worked themselves out.

AFAIK there is no real end in sight for the Plug N' Play devices and, assuming they can be obtained and they use the same discovered technology, they shouldn't be difficult additions.

1 hour ago, Tafoid said:

At least in my quick testing of taitosn1/taitosn2 from 0.216 on all seem to run (in a -bench 20 test) at about 200-225% on my i5 3.2ghz.  Since you don't mention your CPU speed, it may be a close call if you are running something just a bit slower.  I'd try a freshly installed 0.217 in a new folder to see performance.  A configuration issue somewhere in the chain is possible and happens more often than you would think it would.  I am glad things worked themselves out.

AFAIK there is no real end in sight for the Plug N' Play devices and, assuming they can be obtained and they use the same discovered technology, they shouldn't be difficult additions.

I am mostly playing on I5 processors, however, its a surface tablet, and I noticed the processor

was being throttled, so thats what the problem was. 

I'm still not sure what put it into a slow speed state, but when it's unthrottled, everythings back to

full speed, even on the older versions. I'm not sure why it only impacted those games though.

Maybe I switched off some of the cores accidentally.

later