IGNORED

Best way to hook up a pair of speakers?

Tempest

I'm using an F18a with my TI99 so I need a pair of external speakers to get sound.  I've been doing this by plugging the standard TI video/sound cable into the port and using a male to male connector to plug my speakers into the sound cable.  This works, but I'm only getting sound out one speaker.  I'm not sure if this is a problem with my connector (speakers work fine) or what, but it's a janky solution and I'd like to find a better way.  What does everyone else do?

19 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

Rca splitter and a adapter for the speakers

Can you be more specific?  There's only one sound cable coming off the TI A/V cable, so are you saying I split that and then get another cable to combine it into a single jack again for my speakers?  Is the TI/99 A/V jack special or will any composite/stereo cable work with it?

The TI Jack is mono

I use this cable on the TI https://arcadeshopper.ecwid.com/products/143797145

a mono to stereo splitter yueton 4pcs RCA Y Splitter Adapter 2 Female to 1 Male for Audio Video Av Tv Cable Convert https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014QK4R44/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_EleoEbBJ75SPA

And a rca to minijack to my speaker UGREEN 3.5mm Female to 2 RCA Male Stereo Audio Y Cable Adapter Gold Plated Compatible for Smartphones, MP3, Tablets, Home Theater (3FT) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QUWDUMC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_MmeoEbXGH30RT

That's just examples I'm sure the splitter and adapter can be found cheaper on eBay

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Was finally motivated by this thread, yesterday, to make my own "F18A audio cable", using the plug from my old RF modulator.  Just used the plug itself (pins, shield, and housing).  Really easy to disassemble, so I've now learned.  Removed the old wires, and soldered on a short 3.5mm audio cable in their place. 

And boy am I glad I did! 

Sound's so much cleaner than on the old RCA cable I'd been using.  I always figured there was just a fair amount of interference in there that had to be lived with.  Should have done this long ago, turns out.  As much of it was evidently a somewhat crappy (and excessively long) cable. 

• Like 2