IGNORED

Season 17 Round 1 - Clu Clu Land

asponge

Welcome to Season 17!  We're going to kick off the new season with maze game Clu Clu Land.

1525929407_CluCluLandCartridge.png.1471d413bda6753c0d9e424d83d7043c.png 1539231519_CluCluLandScreenshot.png.58893fb7dba7edf60fe484da5ba8f0de.png

Game Rules:

Manual

Score Post Deadline: Sunday February 16 at 11:59 PM CST.

AtariAge High Score:

29,590 by CGQuarterly posted on 11/8/2013

Scores as of 2/16:

asponge      57,420
Tempest      56,460
fakecortex   49,100
rubeon       27,470
mbd30        25,830
Mangia-Boy   11,400
Floyd Turbo   9,380
roadrunner    5,650
jblenkle      2,400

Season Standings:

None

General HSC Season Rules:

• To participate, just post a score to the thread. Anyone can join in at any time.
  • A picture or screenshot is encouraged when posting a score but not required.
  • The season is 15 rounds long.
  • Games will be posted on Sundays and run two weeks through Sunday at 11:59 PM CST.
  • No emulator save states, slow-mo, rewind, etc.
  • No cheats, e.g. Konami code, Game Genie, etc.
  • Turbo controllers are allowed.
  • No point pressing.
  • Round points are awarded according to the following chart:
    165220810_ScoreChart.png.a1c8d9e413e5f4809fcfbe8d29367b15.png

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mbd30 said:

The controls are so awkward. I can never get used to them.

Yeah this is one where you either get the controls or you don't.  I loved the idea of the game, but my brain never could wrap itself around the controls.  Believe it or not they made an even harder version for the FDS because some people are masochists I guess.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Yeah this is one where you either get the controls or you don't.  I loved the idea of the game, but my brain never could wrap itself around the controls.  Believe it or not they made an even harder version for the FDS because some people are masochists I guess.

You have to fight your normal gaming instincts when playing this. For example when careening towards an enemy your natural instinct is to press the opposite direction but in this game that gets you killed.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tempest said:

I think it would be cool to do an entire season of nothing but NES launch titles (or at least the pixel art games).  They're quick, fun, and pretty easy to master (other than this one that is).

Mach Rider is another extremely difficult launch title and would be another fun one for the contests.

2 hours ago, Mangia-Boy said:

Still don't know exactly what I have to do.

Have to watch a youtube video.

You're a fish and the game is supposed to take place underwater. The goal is to reveal all of the hidden coins in each level by passing over them. The coins always make some sort of picture or pattern when revealed.

You can only change direction by bouncing against a wall or rubber trap, or by grabbing a pole to spin yourself around. Yes it's awkward as hell.

You can kill enemies by first shooting hem and then smashing them against the wall.

• Thanks 1

On 2/6/2020 at 8:08 PM, Tempest said:

I think it would be cool to do an entire season of nothing but NES launch titles (or at least the pixel art games).  They're quick, fun, and pretty easy to master (other than this one that is).

I can get behind that idea.  We don't have too many launch titles left that we either haven't played recently or just don't work for the competition so it'll be a shorter season, but I don't see anything wrong with that.

Here's what we have left:

10-Yard Fight

Excitebike

Golf
Ice Climber

Kung Fu

Mach Rider
Pinball
Wrecking Crew

Unless I hear any strong objections I'll just randomize the above list and we'll have a 9 round season.

• Like 2

Are light gun games out?  You got titles like Gumshoe that could work (not so sure about Hogans Alley, Wild Gunman, or Duck Hunt).  Also, I know we did Balloon Fight not too long ago, but we could do a different mode (the endless mode B or whatnot).

What about these, did we do these already?  I don't remember

Baseball

Tennis

Soccer

Volleyball

Urban Champion (don't know if that one works)

DK

DK jr

DK 3

12 hours ago, asponge said:

I can get behind that idea.  We don't have too many launch titles left that we either haven't played recently or just don't work for the competition so it'll be a shorter season, but I don't see anything wrong with that.

Here's what we have left:

10-Yard Fight

Excitebike

Golf
Ice Climber

Kung Fu

Mach Rider
Pinball
Wrecking Crew

Unless I hear any strong objections I'll just randomize the above list and we'll have a 9 round season.

Unfortunately three of those are sports games which I hate but I'm fine with the rest. I would rather have a regular season but if you guys want to do a launch title season then I'm okay with it.

23 hours ago, Tempest said:

Are light gun games out?  You got titles like Gumshoe that could work (not so sure about Hogans Alley, Wild Gunman, or Duck Hunt).

I personally like light gun games, but it seems like a lot of folks are emulating and I don't want to exclude anyone.

23 hours ago, Tempest said:

Also, I know we did Balloon Fight not too long ago, but we could do a different mode (the endless mode B or whatnot).

What about these, did we do these already?  I don't remember

Baseball

Tennis

Soccer

Volleyball

Urban Champion (don't know if that one works)

DK

DK jr

DK 3

I was just listing the launch titles and didn't include all of the black box/pixel art games.  We haven't done Balloon Fight Game A since 2012 so we can add that.  We just played DK last year, but DK Jr and DK 3 will work.  Urban Champion doesn't have a score so that's out.

Regarding the sports titles, there's a lot of them and I know they're not everyone's cup of tea.  It might be fun to do them all in a single round.  Otherwise I'm debating making them optional for season bonus points so they can be played alongside the other titles as players see fit.

On 2/9/2020 at 9:51 AM, asponge said:

Regarding the sports titles, there's a lot of them and I know they're not everyone's cup of tea.  It might be fun to do them all in a single round.  Otherwise I'm debating making them optional for season bonus points so they can be played alongside the other titles as players see fit.

It's nice to mix things up now and then.  Maybe add one or two to the mix and leave the rest.  Like I said, 10 Yard Fight is only a sports game in theme as it's really an arcade game and Baseball is simple fun.  I've never played around with Tennis, Soccer, or Volleyball so I can't say how well those would work.   As much as I love the classic NES Golf, there are guides out there that show you how to beat every hole with the minimum amount of strokes.  I think that one would be way too easy to 'cheat' on for this reason.

Urban Champion could be played if we went by the highest round reached.

On 2/10/2020 at 9:30 AM, Tempest said:

As much as I love the classic NES Golf, there are guides out there that show you how to beat every hole with the minimum amount of strokes.  I think that one would be way too easy to 'cheat' on for this reason.

I didn't know that about Golf.  We'll just exclude that one then.

On 2/10/2020 at 9:30 AM, Tempest said:

Like I said, 10 Yard Fight is only a sports game in theme as it's really an arcade game

I'm with you.  It's actually one of my arcade favorites.  I don't believe I've ever played it on the NES.

I'm really not familiar with any of these early sports games so I'll take a look and see which ones will work.  Either way we'll keep rolling with the next one of these early titles on Sunday.