IGNORED

Stella 6.1 RC1 released

stephena

Hey all,

Got a question with Stella-- I generally use 3.3 and I didn't have an issue up till now.  I used this with the newest Stella and I have the problem there too.  On KABOOM! it seems when you move to the far left the buckets "stick" to the left edge of the screen and it takes a second for you to be able to "pull" it away, which is plenty time for the bombs to fall past and explode.  Has this been looked into before?  It occurs with any controller used.  Is there a way to change this somewhere in input settings?

There actually is already a setting in 'Game Properties -> Controllers' to address this.

Screenshot_20200219_104400.png.78aacd55305a6d64e49bc7c77b9e51d6.png

It's already set to 50% for Kaboom, which means to use only 50% of the allowable range of the paddle for the mouse.  And for me, that means no lag on the left side whatsoever.  I guess you can adjust it a little lower, to use even less of the paddle range.

However, TBH I consider this is little bit of a cheat.  I don't think most people remember how a real paddle worked in Kaboom.  It used only a small range of the paddle, and if you 'overshot' by turning too far left, you would be in the same deadzone you're experiencing in Stella, and would probably die in the time it takes to turn back to the right.  So from that POV, this is accurate emulation.  The setting above would be like taking apart a real paddle, and physically stopping it from turning past a certain point.  You are free to use this setting of course (in fact, it defaults to 50% in Kaboom), but technically it's not how a real paddle worked.

• Like 2

Also, if you're not already seeing this default for Kaboom, it's likely you have an old stella.pro file kicking around that should be removed.  This is even more likely if you're upgrading from such an old release of Stella.  See the FAQ on where to locate this file, and then remove it to see if it makes any difference.

• Like 1

Maybe there could be a calibration or adjustment for the left-right position of the aim point for lightgun games.

What I mean is that, say, like, for shooting gallery. The first part of the game with the squares. When shooting the square on the left side, you have to be closer to the center than you do on the right side. The target takes a hit more readily on the right side. It registers a hit by just hitting the edge. Left side not so much - gotta more inwards more.

5 hours ago, stephena said:

There actually is already a setting in 'Game Properties -> Controllers' to address this.

Screenshot_20200219_104400.png.78aacd55305a6d64e49bc7c77b9e51d6.png

It's already set to 50% for Kaboom, which means to use only 50% of the allowable range of the paddle for the mouse.  And for me, that means no lag on the left side whatsoever.  I guess you can adjust it a little lower, to use even less of the paddle range.

However, TBH I consider this is little bit of a cheat.  I don't think most people remember how a real paddle worked in Kaboom.  It used only a small range of the paddle, and if you 'overshot' by turning too far left, you would be in the same deadzone you're experiencing in Stella, and would probably die in the time it takes to turn back to the right.  So from that POV, this is accurate emulation.  The setting above would be like taking apart a real paddle, and physically stopping it from turning past a certain point.  You are free to use this setting of course (in fact, it defaults to 50% in Kaboom), but technically it's not how a real paddle worked.

I see.. thanks!  I hadn't played Kaboom in forever and was never very good at it.  It kind of sucks that the game was really like that, but it's good that emulation preserves it the way it was meant to be.  I'm having to play it for my video series and I'm still terrible.  I will try your tips and see how much better I do.  Thanks again!

I don't believe any paddle game for the 2600 ever used the entire range of movement.  So it's not just Kaboom.  The reasons are technical, but I believe most games used no more than half the range.  Some used only a quarter of the range.  I guess it was easier to deal with on a real paddle, since there was a stiffness in the turn, so it couldn't go off so easily as with a mouse.  However, if you plug real paddes into a 2600-daptor and use that in Stella, you will see the same behaviour as original hardware.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2020 at 1:51 AM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

BTW: Did anyone test Light Gun games with the RC? You can play them with a mouse now.

My experience mirrors Keatah's.  I played up through level 3 on Sentinel with my desktop computer.

Sentinel is actually fairly playable on the R77 even, by firing "tracer rounds."  Shooting Arcade on the other hand severely limits your ammo, so you can play it on the Retron, but games are short.

6 hours ago, alex_79 said:

An option to disable the visible cursor  might be useful for people using real lightguns.

There are some (quite expensive) usb lightguns that emulates a mouse and can be used on any pc.
A wiimote + sensor bar works too, and it's much cheaper.

Thanks for the hint.

I just added some code for light gun games which ties the cursor visibility to grab mouse mode. So you can switch visibility with CTRL+G.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...