IGNORED

HSC17 Round 2: DONKEY KONG

IF ANYONE MISSED ROUND 1 JOIN IN HERE, YOU CAN POST A LATE SCORE FOR JOUST ;-)

Donkey Kong

He's big, he's bad, he's going to throw a barrel at your dad :music:

There's going to be a lot of swearing here in HSC HQ over the next two weeks but I love DK, possibly the best platform game ever, how on earth atarimania has it rated at a lowly 7.8 is a mystery to me.

Settings

I was thinking of handicapping the top players by making us collect all the bonus items but we'll do that next time, so start on the default barrel skill level. Top players no practising other skill levels, start on barrel every time, others can practice on the other skills.

DK is quite a challenging game so if you're new to it or likely to only complete the first level (2 screens) try and maximise your scoring on the early levels, but generally rushing through the screens is a good tactic.

Download XEX

Atarimania info

image.png.d345dc665e4ec97d99ae0472a9a3d134.pngimage.gif.7cfde89ba7a10cc04f85f7320de69b95.gifimage.png.4e583ba383cde37aeaae6e3e8af008b3.pngimage.gif.a2c2061e7e3de68b5dc25c373f42cac2.gif

Round ends Sunday 16th Feb 10pm UK time, round 3 poll will start next week.

GAME ON!

post if you need any help :)

• Like 3

After a lot of goes (and little swearing!) I made it through to the start of level 5 - I think i once ever reached level 7. The good news is after all that Jousting my button has cleared off the oxidisation or whatever goes on and seems to be reliable, I even did a jump over barrel plus jump back when landing over another barrel, never done that before!

DK.jpg.1189baaabf6e3fd5ce8ea4d5a94c777f.jpg

• Like 4

Ok. Really rusty. Only 10,600. Will do better when I have a bigger block of time to play.

This was one of the first cartridge games I got along with my Atari 800XL back in 1984. I remember because it had the '84 Olympics Games sticker on the box. I have fond memories of this.

atari004.png

An hour later, my score has improved to 29,100. Hoping to get better at this again. I used to play this all day with my brothers, even until the following day if it was a weekend.

atari005.png.172e6fc9aa02638dbc5f850b868665d0.png

Edited by pusakat
Updated score.
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, STARBUG said:

I'm up to 45,100, this is such hard work!

Edit: 61,300

This round sorts out the apes from the birds ;)

19 hours ago, Deteacher said:

Decided to take the advice and just rush through the levels.  It helped:  111,000!

May still be worth hammering up the points on the eariler levels

17 hours ago, graywest said:

By the way, if you wait long enough at the title screen, there is a little intro animation. Never noticed that before. ?

I'ts another one that freaks you out the first time, especially if you have left the TV volume up :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, pusakat said:

Ok. Really rusty. Only 10,600. Will do better when I have a bigger block of time to play.

This was one of the first cartridge games I got along with my Atari 800XL back in 1984. I remember because it had the '84 Olympics Games sticker on the box. I have fond memories of this.

An hour later, my score has improved to 29,100. Hoping to get better at this again. I used to play this all day with my brothers, even until the following day if it was a weekend.

My first 8-bit computer memory was a school friend having an 800 with DK/Missile Command and Pac-Man Carts, I remember another friend's dad had a 2600 and playing skiing and pong - maybe he had a pong hmm.

3 hours ago, mimo said:

Room for improvement ?

You are not meant to collect the delicious barrels mimo :dunce:

Smaill improvent to 113,300 still board on lv5

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, carlsson said:

Apparently I'll end up at the bottom in this game, but nothing else was to expect. At least I almost cleared level 4. I like it just as little as I liked Donkey Kong Jr before.

Donkey Kong - 19000 pts

8 hours ago, oracle_jedi said:

38,100 after four or five attempts.  My score doesn't seem to be improving...

It's a tough game, all you can do is throw a lot of sessions at it, try and figure out why you died, ok you were hit by a barrel but generarally see if you can adapt to what gets you. The odd go will be much better than most. Deciding if/when to use the hammer is another key factor. With practice should not lose any lives on the falling girders or spring screens.

Looking forward to today's session of DK, good score deteacher, maybe too good :cool:

Btw when I wrote level 4, I meant screen 4 (level 2:2 ?) as obviously it would be insane if the score jumps from 20K to 150K one level later...

But yes, I'll give it a few more goes eventually when I have the time. Last time around I invested 84 minutes on DK Jr but only 23 min on DK so far so I've got at least one more hour of gameplay over the next 1.5 weeks before I can claim to be "done" with it.

• Like 1