IGNORED

Can you hack a Wii U so it will play GameCube games?

Rick Dangerous

I am just wondering...would be pretty awesome to have 3 systems in 1 if so.

I'm always trying to reduce clutter and redundant systems if possible; so if i can make this happen i would like to.  Since the Wii could natively play GC, and the Wii U contains Wii hardware, it should theoretically be possible?

Thanks for any info. 

46 minutes ago, Rick Dangerous said:

I'm always trying to reduce clutter and redundant systems if possible; so if i can make this happen i would like to.  Since the Wii could natively play GC, and the Wii U contains Wii hardware, it should theoretically be possible?

I like the GameCube controllers and the GameBoy Player that sits underneath the Cube. If there's a system to eliminate, I'd flush the Wii, but not the Cube. That's what I've done, anyway. 

I'd be worried about losing the small Cube discs in the big Wii U tray, which I don't think is built to accept and spit out little discs. 

• Like 1

What everyone else said. WiiU can't read the discs, so you have to use a Wii to rip the discs, link them to your WiiMote, rip your memory paks to SD, and then transfer them all to the WiiU. So you'll still need to keep a Wii AND a WiiU around to do it all.

Personally, I don't think it's worth the effort. Also, I'm sure it's been fixed since then, but back when I tried it, there was no way to get 4:3 games in the proper aspect ratio, they would all stretch out to 16:9.

22 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

I like the GameCube controllers and the GameBoy Player that sits underneath the Cube. If there's a system to eliminate, I'd flush the Wii, but not the Cube. That's what I've done, anyway.

I don't know, I like being able to play GC games with component + progressive scan (without spending a fortune on the GC cable). I have Game Boy Interface installed on the Cube, so I've got that hooked up to a CRT for 240p ? ...now I just need a controller with a decent d-pad...

13 hours ago, Asaki said:

What everyone else said. WiiU can't read the discs, so you have to use a Wii to rip the discs, link them to your WiiMote, rip your memory paks to SD, and then transfer them all to the WiiU. So you'll still need to keep a Wii AND a WiiU around to do it all.

You only need a Wii to rip the discs you already have, if that's the route you want to go. There are other routes you can go that are much easier and don't require a spare Wii, but we're probably not supposed to talk about those here. ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1