IGNORED

SOLD: Sony HB-101 MSX

mattsoft

Selling my Sony HB (Hit-Bit) 101 MSX computer from Japan. This is the sweet, sweet red color HB-101 that was exclusive to Japan. I have stripped this computer down and cleaned it thoroughly inside and out. I have tested cartridge slots, joystick ports, audio & video, and keyboard. All work great! Overall, it's in great condition. Keyboard is a little yellow, with the space bar being the worse; I have not retrobrited anything on this. It does have a few marks on top, is missing the "Sony" white sticker, and the down arrow key has a broken clip inside (that doesn't seem to effect key performance). This unit has NTSC composite and mono stereo out, a power cable hide-a-way inside, and a pull-out handle. This one also has the elusive cursor "joystick" that is usually missing on these. I have performed 1 simple mod as well: stock, the keyboard LEDs do not light up on these models even though there is a JST connector on the keyboard for it. So I have tapped +5VDC from the other LEDs and am powering the keyboard LEDs via the JST. This can easily be "unplugged" if you wish. Built-in power supply works on US mains voltage fine.

More info on this model here: https://www.msx.org/wiki/Sony_HB-101

Asking $160 + shipping + PP fees. Ships from 98115. Would also be open to (full or partial) trades for an Atari 1200XL or Atari ST hardware.

72361618_ImagefromiOS.thumb.jpg.f70d6d4555262e2d3341e6b5685cbc5d.jpg

Edited by mattsoft
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Albert said:

That's a very cool looking machine.  Are there two cartridge ports?  Interesting with the built-in joystick, is it analog?  What's that area below the Sony logo?  Does a handle pop out for carrying purposes?

..Al

Yeah, a lot of MSX computers had 2 cart ports. Ostensibly 1 for a game cart and 1 for expansion like an FM sound chip or additional RAM at the same time.

The built-in joystick is analog and not the best, to be honest. I think it's mostly meant for navigating the built-in "productivity" firmware.

The area at the bottom, below the Sony logo, is the handle! It pops out and lets you carry it around. It's a beautiful machine, and cosmetically my favorite of the Sony MSX computers, but I already have an MSX2 and really don't need another.

2 hours ago, mattsoft said:

Yeah, a lot of MSX computers had 2 cart ports. Ostensibly 1 for a game cart and 1 for expansion like an FM sound chip or additional RAM at the same time.

Was it used often? I'm presuming it was practically ignored, like on the 800.

1 hour ago, bluejay said:

Was it used often? I'm presuming it was practically ignored, like on the 800.

I don't know. Nowadays, most MSX users get a Carnivore 2 cartridge (or something like it). It has most of the extra functionality needed for games: RAM, emulated OPL, and Konami SCC (sound chip) emulation, plus an SD card slot for cartridge and disk images. Pop one of these into the MSX and you're golden. 

The second cartridge port also is used with some game cheat cartridges so you plug in your cheat cartridge in port 2 and your main game in port 1 in order to get additional functions from the game. Besides I somehow doubt that cursor joystick is analog, as the regular joystick ports definitely aren't. Perhaps it reacts to only slight movement but that is different from analog.

17 minutes ago, carlsson said:

The second cartridge port also is used with some game cheat cartridges so you plug in your cheat cartridge in port 2 and your main game in port 1 in order to get additional functions from the game. Besides I somehow doubt that cursor joystick is analog, as the regular joystick ports definitely aren't. Perhaps it reacts to only slight movement but that is different from analog.

You're probably right in that the joystick isn't truly analog, but there is a sealed ball mechanism in there and the stick "floats" like an analog stick. I have never opened the mechanism to see what the contacts look like.

Ooo!  That's a sexy one.  Sony always had the best looking MSX models.  This is the one I have:

Sony_HB-F1XDJ.JPG

MSX is worth getting into if you can get one at a decent price.  There are lots of great MSX only games out there and most are in English or playable anyway.