IGNORED

Desert Island ATR's

Mclaneinc

Lol....Shipwrecked parcels just floating about with Atari items.....Happens every day :)

Nice to see people are having fun with it but obviously the spy in the sky making sure the rules are observed would dispatch a ninja to take back any extra items :)

Obviously :)

7 hours ago, drpeter said:

I suspect it would be adjudicated against the rules, but if not, my luxury would instead have been an internet-connected PC running Altirra...  ?

That would have to be a dream on the island but the rules would say that it the PC would have to be stripped of all software except OS needed stuff, Altirra and the digital copies of your software you chose BUT that can't work because Altirra offers all the luxury parts in one so its a NO :)

Real hardware only :)

Atari 800

Star Raiders

Jumpman (maybe get to finish it one day)

MAC/65 (if you haven't got all you want, you now have time to write it)

Pastfinder (strange, but I like it)

Alternate Reality City

Alternate Reality Dungeon

Joust

Bounty Bob Strikes Back

Book: Atari 800 Hardware Manual, just so much good info in there :)

Luxury: Incognito

On 2/5/2020 at 9:28 PM, Gunstar said:

I would also choose Star Vagrant, Dungeon Hunt II and Rescue Expedition since they are all recent acquisitions that remain unplayed/unfinished, but I'm afraid that none of them will have the re-play-ability I'm looking for on a desert Island. 

Haven't gotten into it yet (hence being one of my choices) but Star Vagrant looks to have some have serious depth to it. Dungeon Hunt is still uncompleted by me, and DH II appears to offer much more. Solid choices, I think.

Edited by adam242

Hmmm. Let’s see…

- Alternate Reality The City. My all-time favorite 8bit game. Sure, not much to do after mapping it out and visiting every location, but I never got tired of it, and am still continuing my character from 1986 today via an sdrive-max. *Still* have never found a magical flame sword!  (I wish I could bundle City and Dungeon together, but if not, I’ll take City)

- Caverns of Mars.  When I was a kid wanting his first computer, and trying to decide between TRS-80, Apple and Atari, I was over the house of a friend-of-a-friend….he had just gotten an 800 and Caverns of Mars. I fell in love with the silky smooth scrolling. If not for that game I may have not ended up getting a 400. I still play it and think it’s one of the best early games for the 8bits.

- Adventure 2600.  Since someone here converted it to 8bit a few years back, I’ll bring it to my island. Before Adventure, videogames for me were just a single screen, simple shoot-the-ships or bounce-a-ball-back kind of thing. When I first got Adventure on 2600 it blew my mind. A whole contiguous land existed inside the machine where you could carry objects from one place to another, unlock gates, find secret dots. At the time it was amazing and it’s still my all time favorite 2600 game (which I can now play on my 800xl).

- Adventure II xe.  A new release and I love it…..but I think the only way I’ll ever have enough time to make it through each game variation is if I’m stranded on an island.  :)

- Jumpman.  Just one of the best 8bit games that’s always fun to play. I typically don’t care for platformers, but Jumpman is more forgiving….you can land along the edge and he’ll walk up onto the platform rather instantly die. So well done.

and 3 more that I still like to play now and then…

- Shamus

- Pharoahs Curse

- Zombies

I think blank disks would be an allowed item as a freebie, its not adding any games or utilities, just the ability to save stuff which sounds fair to me...I'd say 20 blank disks would be a fair allowance for the island...Enough to use but after a while something that would need keeping an eye on for space..

OK, so you have blank disks.  What about a DOS?  How are you going to load & save your BASIC & MAC/65 files?  Is DOS also a freebie?  If so, which DOS?

Although, I suppose that you could start without a DOS, and write enough code in BASIC with USR() calls to get basic disk access and go from their to develop your own DOS.  I mean, you've got plenty of time, right?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mclaneinc said:

I think blank disks would be an allowed item as a freebie, its not adding any games or utilities, just the ability to save stuff which sounds fair to me...I'd say 20 blank disks would be a fair allowance for the island...Enough to use but after a while something that would need keeping an eye on for space..

Yeah, I guess the point is what software one would want to have, under the limits.

Edited by MrFish

Yup, in the original programme you have to choose 8 tracks of music, a book and a luxury object. Some might say I'll have a juke box as a luxury item but that breaks the rules of 8 tracks, as you say, its all about your choice and I'm bending the limits to allow a few freebies  that follow the computer agenda but in the end if people want want special software like fancy DOS's then you have to prioritise choices. It would like a really hungry man on one of those reality shows being given a ham sandwich and then demanding it should have been steak :)

You get what you get and make do :)

That's the fun of the idea...

• 3 years later...