IGNORED

Desert Island ATR's

Mclaneinc

I imagine many are aware of the radio program Desert Island disks where you have to choose 8 music tracks a book and a luxury to have on a desert island that you are trapped on...Well lets try it with 8 Atari games / utils (can be disk, cassette or cart but one game / util per cart), Atari or computer related book (could be an audio book if wanted) and a luxury Atari computer based product.

So amazingly you have a computer, monitor / TV, disk drive / cassette, joystick and electricity on this deserted island (freaky or what) which leaves you with your possible long term choices, remember you could be on there for countless years so make good choices!

Me,

Alternate reality, not really my thing but I'm going to have time to explore it..

Jumpman....Never gets boring...

Tail of the Beta Lyre

Enchanter from Infocom, again not really my thing but its to keep the old brain working and they are fantastic games.

Star Raiders...Come on, no brainer..

Spelunker...Can't explain, I just love playing it..

Assembler editor...Might as well try and relearn some coding..I'll have the time..

Trains.....Its fun...

Notice no sports games, I'd worry that not having another real competitor might get the old head going wacko (What was the ball in Castaway called, Jackson?  Don't want going down that path)

The book, good old mapping the Atari..

The luxury item...Hmmmm...Omnimon....Tough one...I think its only fair to allow things like printers will come with paper and drivers disks But NO utilities, that's part of your 8 choices..You want Print SHop, you have to choose it..

You see, its not as simple as what are my fave games, you need to think long term or really really like the game / util you chose.

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 6

MAC/65 (has a basic monitor/debugger built in)

Action! (debateable as there‘s enough time to use assembly but also handy to keep a diary)

Shamus+ ;-) (will take ages to master in tournament mode)

Jumpman (can still vary speed after finishing)

Ultima (IV, open to suggestions which is best/longest)

Star Raiders

Bureucracy (still stuck early in the game)

Yoomp (need one ‚easy to pick up‘ game without much Stratege to relax)

I also like Spelunker but fear I‘d get tired of it after finishing. 

Book: Altirra Hardware Reference Manual (for completeness although I’d need a lot more trial and error working with it compared to Mapping the Atari or De Re Atari)

Luxury: Turbo Freezer comes to mind in case I’d get tired of playing through lower levels.

• Like 1

MAC/65 - together with BASIC will be able to create most applications I need, given long enough

Star Raiders - never palls, despite having achieved Star Commander Class 1

Necromancer - determined to complete this, never have, love the unique gameplay

Bureaucracy - appeals to my sense of humour and will make me glad to have escaped civilisation

M.U.L.E. - endless replayability and a rare chance to play against 3 computer opponents

Chessmaster 2000 - I believe this was the strongest program released for the 8-bit Ataris

The Last Word - to write my masterpiece

Grph2fnt - to indulge my artistic streak

Book:  Altirra Hardware Reference Manual

Luxury: Incognito (I'd be using an Atari 800) with several GB CF card. No-brainer.

Edited by drpeter
changed my mind
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, drpeter said:

Grph2fnt - to indulge my artistic streak

Isn't this an app on the PC to make images for the Atari? You would need to pick a graphic app that runs on the Atari, I think. I could recommend you a few of the best to choose from...

Edited by Gunstar

On 2/4/2020 at 7:09 AM, Mclaneinc said:

So amazingly you have a computer, monitor / TV, disk drive / cassette, joystick and electricity on this deserted island (freaky or what) 

Easily explainable. You have been officially exiled to this island, supplied with a structure to inhabit and a solar generator, and other basics. you are allowed to bring these personal, non-survival/staple items.

Sometimes I dream of a self-imposed exile like this, of course I get to bring all my Atari and other electronics in that dream...just to get away from the rat-race and complexities and headaches of modern society, not to get away from people, that's just a possible necessity to accomplish the other. What stops me is I'm not rich enough. I don't want to live like Robinson Crusoe if I don't have too, more like the immortal man, Methuselah in the original Star Trek's 'Requiem for Methuselah' or Dr. Morbius from 'Forbidden Planet.'

Edited by Gunstar

Not to try and go too OT, I also have times where I just want to be all alone on an Island with my gear but that's my mental health doing that. I just thought it might be a nice idea for a thread. So for others, computer sort of can be of your choice with the stock Atari 8 bit computers but Atari BASIC will be allowed as a free choice. Remember you can only have the items you choose, no multi boots, no mega carts full of stuff but you can have a big cart as the luxury item but it will be empty apart from what it needs to run with. As said, printers come with lead, paper and drivers but no utils, that's a choice from the 8 items of software. Things like incognito come as they are supplied as with everything else...Just as they come...

All right then, I guess it's time for me to actually choose.

I'll start with my one luxury, which would be the Incognito since it's such an inclusive upgrade, so it would have to be my 800 I took with me instead of my 1200XL, though I'd rather have it (with it's plethora of upgrades, internal and external, that the Incognito has built-in).

MAC/65

Star Raiders 2 (Wilmunder version)

Alternate Reality: City

Alternate Reality: Dungeon

Universe

Infocom's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, with Douglas Adams as the co-author.

Ultima IV

Chessmaster 2000

My book would be Mapping the Atari.

I'd like apps like The Last Word or Rambrandt for graphic art, but I can learn to program my own applications and utilities since I'm limited on software I can bring. I also wanted Action! but decided MAC/65 was enough with Atari BASIC built in as an alternative for less demanding programs.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

I'm too spoiled!   I need ebiguy's MyFlashcart with SDX and Action! and my internal MyIDE.  To sort of comply with 8 program limit I guess I'd have to have all the other language images stripped from my cartridge.  I contend that SDX is needed and APT driver is already on my cart .  If this DOS counts toward my 8 program limit then so be it.  I say a disk drive needs a DOS and SDX is my choice.

Game choices are even more difficult than with a top 10 list.   These are the only games I'll have from now on.    The list probably would take several drafts.

- Star Raiders

- Monex

- Asteroids-Emulator

- I never got very far in any Infocom adventures but I have plenty of time.  I choose Planetfall.

- Arkanoid or PAD.  I'm torn.  Arkanoid is too easy.  PAD has those indestructible tiles that drive me mad. ... Arkanoid.  If I'm going to be alone on an island I don't need stress.

- Usually I choose Tapper for mindless (and easy) fun but I've already included Arkanoid.  I'll substitute one of the modern games here.  RGB, Marbled, Yoomp!, Blowsub?  Wasteland is looking really fun.   Wasteland!

That makes 7 programs plus SDX. If I'm allowed another then...

- I have fond memories of arcades so Misslie Command+.  Paul Lee (IIRC) added 3 bases and independent fire buttons (J-K-L) and made it as enjoyable as the original.

-SteveS

[EDIT]

A wooden chest has floated by my game chair.  The tide brought it in.  In the chest was a Missile Command+ cartridge and converted PC bus mouse (mine), and also assorted arcade controllers converted for A8 use.  How did they get here?   This must be fantasy Island!  

And a Planetfall cheat sheet!

Edited by a8isa1
  • Like 3

@a8isa1 (I don't know how the quote got messed up)

That makes 7 programs plus SDX. If I'm allowed another then...

I got to sneak SDX by because it's included with Incognito. On my 1200XL I need both Super SDX cartridge w/RTC and MyIDE II with Mac/65 (or Action!) on it.

Edited by Gunstar

Kamfpgruppe or one of the other big SSI strategy games - I'd finally have the time to play one through
Gemstone Warrior: procedural action RPG - it's always a new game

Donkey Kong - Still playing it weekly since 198x

Star Raiders (& Wilmunder's #2) - because it's still the best game on the system

The Apshai series: Love these, still fun once you get used to the controls, and TONS of content. 

Bosconian - Best home port of a favorite arcade game

The Last Word - so I can write and be creative or leave a diary behind

MAC/65 or Action! - so I can write new games

OK- revised list!

MAC/65 - together with BASIC will be able to create most applications I need, given long enough

Star Raiders - never palls, despite having achieved Star Commander Class 1

Necromancer - determined to complete this, never have, love the unique gameplay

Enchanter - need at least 1 Infocom that I haven't tackled yet

M.U.L.E. - endless replayability and a rare chance to play against 3 computer opponents

Chessmaster 2000 - I believe this was the strongest program released for the 8-bit Ataris

The Last Word - to write my masterpiece

Rambrandt - to indulge my artistic streak

Book:  Altirra Hardware Reference Manual

Luxury: Incognito (I'd be using an Atari 800) with several GB CF card. No-brainer.

• Like 1

Leaderboard - assuming the island doesn't have its own course! (and will try and not lose the dongle! This just pips Hardball)

International Karake (or the plus version) - avoid thoughts of hunger by listening to a crunching stomach punch ?

Dropzone - "To not include one title, Mr. Maclean, may be regarded as a misfortune; to not include both looks like carelessness."

Rainbow Walker - will always remain a "go-back-to" game

Rescue on Fractalus! - still tops Koronis Rift or The Eidolon for me

Alley Cat - "Love them mousies"

Ballblazer - tough choice but pips Encounter! due to the fantastic music

Telengard - can have an occasional giggle at the artwork in the manual :D

image.png.c882c85919dc3bebc753dae8abc084f5.png

(plus I can print this in A4 and call it "Wilson")

Book - Mapping The Atari (with an up to date Addendum)

Assuming base machine is a RAM expanded 600XL with ROM based would have the Basic ROM swapped with Phaeron's, the Luxury Item would be the MyIDE-II cart blown with onboard SDX + OSS ROMS, specifically MAC/65 for working on my WIP sources that would be stored on a CF card to do the development upon :) 

Who knows... if any rescue is delayed I might even have finished Elite! :D

Edited by Wrathchild
reworded the Luxury Item
  • Like 1

Star Raiders - duh!

Lode Runner (disk version with construction set, not the cart)

Aquatron - fantastic shooter.

Great American Cross Country Road Race - edging out Pole Position for my favorite racer.

Dungeon Hunt II and

Star Vagrant - my two most recent homebrew acquisitions that I'll have time to properly enjoy.

Mac/65 - like many others, I never took the time to properly learn 6502 assembly.

Turbo BASIC XL - I can't even use Atari BASIC anymore. Vastly superior.

Dr. Mario (for getting my Nintendo NES fix) and Planetfall (my favorite text adventure) are very close runners-up. Might choose one over one of the programming languages.

Mapping the Atari is an excellent (and obvious) choice for the book, but I'll go with Atari Graphics and Arcade Game Design. A fine technical volume with lots of info and examples in both BASIC and Assembly.

And of course...

9 hours ago, drpeter said:

This is a fun thought experiment. :) I think my choices would be:

1. MAC/65

2. Star Raiders (never gets old and infinitely replayable)

3. Joust (my absolute fave vintage A8 title, the one I played to death as a kid and still come back to often today)

4. Chessmaster 2000 (it's chess, and not a bad opponent for a hack like me!)

5. Seven Cities of Gold (yes, it embodies a lot of bad cultural stereotypes and perpetuates a horrible historical period for indigenous peoples in America but I played it a lot as a kid and enjoyed the discovery and strategy elements)

6. Any of the Infocom titles I haven't played - the only ones I had as a kid were Zork I and Hitchhikers, both of which I still have my original disks, so pick any one at random - probably Suspended, since I remember being creeped out and fascinated by that packaging as a kid but never bought the game)

7. The Last Word (need to diary my lonely existence)

8. AtariArtist (since it comes with the Touch Tablet, I should be good! I need to give rise to my artistic side, and I had it as a kid and had a lot of fun with it.

For books, I'd likely go with any of the following I could get hold of: DE RE ATARI, ATARI ROOTS, or THE CREATIVE ATARI. 

1 hour ago, adam242 said:

Star Raiders - duh!

Lode Runner (disk version with construction set, not the cart)

Aquatron - fantastic shooter.

Great American Cross Country Road Race - edging out Pole Position for my favorite racer.

Dungeon Hunt II and

Star Vagrant - my two most recent homebrew acquisitions that I'll have time to properly enjoy.

Mac/65 - like many others, I never took the time to properly learn 6502 assembly.

Turbo BASIC XL - I can't even use Atari BASIC anymore. Vastly superior.

Dr. Mario (for getting my Nintendo NES fix) and Planetfall (my favorite text adventure) are very close runners-up. Might choose one over one of the programming languages.

Mapping the Atari is an excellent (and obvious) choice for the book, but I'll go with Atari Graphics and Arcade Game Design. A fine technical volume with lots of info and examples in both BASIC and Assembly.

And of course...

I would also choose Star Vagrant, Dungeon Hunt II and Rescue Expedition since they are all recent acquisitions that remain unplayed/unfinished, but I'm afraid that none of them will have the re-play-ability I'm looking for on a desert Island.