IGNORED

Atgames - Taito Classics 2020

Coming soon:

https://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/2020/01/02/pr-atgames-and-taito-corporation-announce-legendary-classic-arcade-video-games-to-be-featured-in-upcoming-product-lineup-starting-2020/

653268-bubble-bobble-arcade-screenshot-w

LOS ANGELES, January 2, 2020 (Newswire.com) – AtGames®, a leader in interactive entertainment products, and TAITO Corporation, a leading producer of legendary video games, today announced that classic TAITO arcade releases will be featured in upcoming AtGames’ product lineups starting in 2020. AtGames has partnered with TAITO to make their extensive library of classic arcade video games available in a range of exciting new products, complete with authentic gameplay, video, and sound.

“Legendary arcade games like TAITO’s Bubble BobbleJungle Hunt, Puzzle Bobble 2, QixSpace Invaders, and more have found the perfect home on AtGames’ family-friendly retro products,” says Dr. Ping-Kang Hsiung, CEO of AtGames. “These fan favorites from TAITO will be pre-installed across several product lines starting next year. We can’t wait for new gamers to enjoy them for the first time and arcade veterans to put their skills to the test again.”

AtGames will bring over 50 TAITO arcade classics to their product lineup starting in the first half of 2020, adding these beloved titles to their ever-growing roster of high-profile licensors.

later

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If it comes in dongle format (blast!) and they are arcade versions I can see me picking one up.

I hope they would sign up Konami as well and I mean for the likes of circus charlie, pooyan, amidar, scramble, yie ar kung-fu, road fighter, time pilot, gyruss, gradius, green beret, contra ... and this just arcade < 1987 so much to go off of

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Konami_games#1977–1989

For Konami I wouldn't mind a blast! unit that is MSX centric: antartic adventure, penguin adventure, cabbage patch kinds (but really adventure land), castlevania ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Konami_games#MSX

but I reckon the MSX themed one may be way too niche.

7 minutes ago, negative1 said:

Sure there are, rotation, scaling, framerate issues, and all kinds of things for starters.

later

Scaling hasn't been an issue since commercial emulation products entered the HD age. There's plenty of resolution even at just 720p to do justice to a vertically oriented arcade classic from the 1970's and 1980's without significant scaling issues from uneven pixel scaling. 

And it wasn't a show stopper even before, as evidenced by dozens of vertically oriented arcade classics that were emulated and released in console compilations during the latter half of the 1990's and throughout the PS2 era, pillarboxed for the 4:3 televisions of the era to preserve their original aspect ratio and presented in resolutions ranging from 240p to 480p.

And I can assure you AtGames isn't going to bother with a rotation option with their products aimed at the casual audience and even if they did, offering an optional TATE mode is hardly a technical hurdle. And potential frame rate issues have absolutely nothing to do with an arcade game's monitor orientation. 

Edited by Atariboy

38 minutes ago, Atariboy said:

Scaling hasn't been an issue since commercial emulation products entered the HD age. There's plenty of resolution even at just 720p to do justice to a vertically oriented arcade classic from the 1970's and 1980's without significant scaling issues from uneven pixel scaling. 

And it wasn't a show stopper even before, as evidenced by dozens of vertically oriented arcade classics that were emulated and released in console compilations during the latter half of the 1990's and throughout the PS2 era, pillarboxed for the 4:3 televisions of the era to preserve their original aspect ratio and presented in resolutions ranging from 240p to 480p.

And I can assure you AtGames isn't going to bother with a rotation option with their products aimed at the casual audience and even if they did, offering an optional TATE mode is hardly a technical hurdle. And potential frame rate issues have absolutely nothing to do with an arcade game's monitor orientation. 

all those things only matter to purists, and hardcore gamers.

casual gamers, and the masses could care less about those issues.

i know that emulators have to do work to rotate the video output, and that impacts the gameplay.

later

6 minutes ago, negative1 said:

all those things only matter to purists, and hardcore gamers.

casual gamers, and the masses could care less about those issues.

i know that emulators have to do work to rotate the video output, and that impacts the gameplay.

later

Right, they've got to at least add 1 frame of delay to buffer the original screen and rotate it!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2020 at 12:01 PM, Bill Loguidice said:

All options are on the table. There should be some new product announcements this month into next (not Blast! or Boom! related, though).

Any chance of other developer-centric Blast! units like a Capcom arcade (CPS 1/1-dash only maybe) , Konami and/or Konami MSX ?

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, negative1 said:

looks like those people with atgames legends arcade machine will

be getting 47 free taito games for download later on.

will be interesting to see the list.

later

Yes, original owners of the Legends Ultimate will soon have 397 total games built-in rather than 350. It's 47 additional Taito arcade games. You can get a sense of what those games are (Bubble Bobble, Space Invaders, Operation Wolf, Qix, Zoo Keeper, etc.) by looking at the Legends Gamer/Gamer Pro game list on the website.

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, negative1 said:

Well the Taito games came to the Arcade Legends.

Maybe an announcement for the standalone will also  come out.

later

We will have other Taito-related announcements coming up. I can say, however, that there are no plans for a stand-alone at this time. However, the Taito arcade games are present (so far) on the Legends Ultimate 1.0 (397 built-in games and counting), Legends Ultimate 1.1 (310 built-in games and counting), and Legends Gamer Pro (160 built-in games and counting).

• Like 1

By the way, to answer the earlier question, while you can play all horizontal and vertical games just fine on the Legends Ultimate series (with side art present), with the Legends Gamer, if you have a display that rotates (or a dedicated portrait display), the software can automatically support that mode. The upcoming Legends Pinball machine will also support vertical mode games.

4 hours ago, Bill Loguidice said:

By the way, to answer the earlier question, while you can play all horizontal and vertical games just fine on the Legends Ultimate series (with side art present), with the Legends Gamer, if you have a display that rotates (or a dedicated portrait display), the software can automatically support that mode. The upcoming Legends Pinball machine will also support vertical mode games.

Can you reverse the orientation from left handed to right handed and will there be a Legends Gamer Mini (single player) with trackball? Thanks.