IGNORED

Should I Mod My 3DS?

I've been thinking about modding my 3DS, but I have a few questions before I proceed.

-How big is the chance of bricking the system?

-Can you run MAME on it? 

-How Difficult is it to mod?

-If you've modded your own 3DS, do you like it?

11 hours ago, Magmavision2000 said:

I've been thinking about modding my 3DS, but I have a few questions before I proceed.

-How big is the chance of bricking the system?

-Can you run MAME on it? 

-How Difficult is it to mod?

-If you've modded your own 3DS, do you like it?

I've never had a "brick", I guess you just have to be careful and follow all the directions (and make sure you don't lose power during the process). I know the most recent methods are supposed to be a lot more idiot-proof and with "brick" protection.

Hmm, I'm not sure there is MAME for 3DS, but there are quite a few arcade emulators for regular DS: https://www.gamebrew.org/wiki/List_of_DS_homebrew_emulators

Mod difficulty depends on your firmware version. When I modded mine, there was a vulnerability right in the web browser, it was super easy.

I like mine being modded, but it's a bit disappointing to see how small the homebrew community is, especially since the handheld finally has a screen big enough for most emulation without having to crop or scale the picture. GBA and DS had a great community, but it seemed like 3DS burned out fast. There's still some really great emus though, like SNES, Genesis, NES, PCE, C64, etc.

Another great thing about softmod is that you can run games from other regions, and if you have a New 3DS, you can set it to load official games using the higher clock speed. Some games get a little glitchy, but there are games like Code of Princess that get a really nice framerate boost (you'll have to check the compatibility list).