IGNORED

GTIA Music - collectively (various artists)

xxl

This is very little discussed technique, and it seems very advanced. Do you have some understanding of it ? What intrigues me is there are not just 1 and 0 in the Altirra output. More like several levels (3 or 4). Using debugger I found it does about 4 writes per line, which would be enough for some dithering. Still the code is surprisingly simple and for how complex the sounds are. And it sounds super clean.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think someone pointed out in another related thread that some games (Whomper Stomper) used the internal speaker for sound.  Since later XL / XE models eliminated the speaker and routed the sound through the TV / monitor, does this imply the GTIA could be used as a "fifth" voice or did I read somewhere that you couldn't do POKEY + GTIA sound simultaneously?

Really cool stuff.  Very surprised it wasn't leveraged more in the past.

What I want to know: Are the ILLEGAL opcodes necessary for function, or are they just road blocks to prevent your enemies from running this code?

Phaeron kindly fixed one file for me and PROVED that the IllOPs were NOT NECESSARY.

This B.S. MUST end. Quit fighting against the Future! Don't be left in the Dark.

On 2/8/2020 at 7:45 AM, flashjazzcat said:

Why bother? If developers want to lock out upgrades and get a big dick about people begging them not to, let them, and use software which doesn't.

It's an irrelevant platform with no commercial future.  Who cares about being a weird stock machine purist?   Modifying the machine was insanely common even in the 80s.  Why break compatibility when there's no performance advantage or good reason?  I can see not putting extra effort into directly supporting an upgrade like VBXE or something, but to take extra effort to break it is just a retarded waste of time.

The GTIA music is kinda neat though.  I haven't seen that done yet.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kogden said:

I can see not putting extra effort into directly supporting an upgrade like VBXE or something, but to take extra effort to break it is just a retarded waste of time.

I have Atari VBXE, 4 MB RAM, STEREO and these programs work perfectly ?