IGNORED

GTIA Music - collectively (various artists)

xxl

That sound routine seems to be very good (very stable and clear) .

But no one can overcome rules of physics.

The higher tones get louder because they change more often, resulting in more "pulse power".

That's why newer chips have triangle or even sine waves build in. They don't change the frequency but the voltage very fast.

The chance with POKEY to get rid of the sampling noise is to put them into the ultra high sound range, or find a way to cancel the high tones.

A shifted replay of two , 3 or even 4 channels could remove the high "beep" just by the resulting overlay of replaced voltage levels. But it surely will make the low tones louder. The timing is depending on the wave length.

It may need some testing ...

Edited by emkay

2 hours ago, Faicuai said:

Tested it on real HW and sounds like shit. Even on unmodified A800 HW.

possible because the procedure uses RAM under the ROM which this computer does not have so any random values are restored.

this is for the XL / XE series

Edited by xxl

23 minutes ago, xxl said:

possible because the procedure uses RAM under the ROM which this computer does not have so any random values are restored.

If some serious talk was possible in this forums, we had to talk of "linear audio" . There is no "bass" to talk about, as there is none.

Seems some guys have some strange "audio devices" connected, so there might be some "bass" audible. I wonder of the equalizer settings . I'd bet 200Hz at + 9db? 

2 hours ago, xxl said:

No, its not.

It is for NON-Ultimate/Incognito machines (which happen to be the vast majority of contemporary RAM/ROM upgrades, out there).

I am under the impression that (after comparing) Older GTIA-sound channel demos seem to sound better (beefier, louder, bass-like) through the 800 dedicated speaker than this latest revision when heard over PC's audio output via Altirra... (sounds subdued, gutless).

Edited by Faicuai

On 3/27/2020 at 11:40 AM, xxl said:

I have Atari VBXE, 4 MB RAM, STEREO and these programs work perfectly ?

Mhhmm...

Could you, please, post screen-photo (cell-camera) from full execution of Self-Test (MEMORY) ran from XE_v03 or XEGS_v04 Atari ROMs on THAT 4MB machine you mention above?

I love it.  One of the first things I downloaded when I got my XM301 was a "stereo" song that played a Beetles tune (I think the song was Yesterday).  It used Pokey and the internal speaker, and I remember it turned off the screen but the background was green.  The sound quality on these is so much better - the Beetles tune was mostly just a beeper.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2020 at 8:11 PM, xxl said:

of course:

3362012800_1578472551.jpg

Sorry for not answering sooner.

What I meant, is running the attached OS test  (unmodified r03 or r04 XE/GS OS) on 128, 320, 576 and 1088 configs. with your RAM expansion:

4FC07A4F-FD77-4015-9353-AFCCE64E7E71.thumb.jpeg.a61f7fb9d6890309c3290a518facbed0.jpeg

I would be surprised if it completes it successfully on all RAM-configs.

I totally don't understand your problem. what is the purpose of it.

Do you think that atari will not pass the memory test?

How does this relate to music on GTIA?

so many questions and no answers ;-)

20200402_194346.jpg

Edited by xxl

21 minutes ago, xxl said:

I totally don't understand your problem. what is the purpose of it.

Do you think that atari will not pass the memory test?

How does this relate to music on GTIA?

so many questions and no answers ;-)

[ Would that be on all of the configs. mentioned above? (128, 320, 576 and 1088)? If so, that would be interesting... ]

A bit of clarity (over something you already know):

These last wave of GTIA-sound demos do not run  as intended on Ultimate-1MBs and Incognito/800 upgrades.

They do run, however on stock XL configs, and on Altirra mirroring such configs. I suppose they also run successfully on Antonia.

What is interesting is that the OS plain-vanilla extended RAM test usually fails on several RAM expansion configs. and I do wonder how Antonia handles it.

Hope it is a bit more clear, now.

Edited by Faicuai

6 minutes ago, xxl said:

maybe you are unlucky with memory expansion ;-)

Well, what you don't know is the above OS test does run well on Incognito, for instance.

So there's more running under Antonia's memory-management hood, though... but it is not (by any means) a popular RAM upgrade, though.

Edited by Faicuai

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

what are the best mp3 players that will run on '802 and '816 machines?

Data recorders  ;-)

Okay, they only play WAV (uncompressed MP3) and only in mono, but it does not cost any processor time, just a simple Poke 54018,62 (or something like that) and you can continue with whatever you want on the A8 (play games, use applications, etc.). Alternatively you can play the MP3 from your MP3 player, Hifi system, etc. and also use the Atari for something else...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

winamp is so sorry to hear that, so is Mplayer, MPG123, mp3blaster, MOC, VLC, ffplay, and CMUS.....  why everyone should just load and play their music from spinning shiny plastic disks called cd's and maybe from shiny plastic disk players connected to home stereos.... it was foolish of me to use my Atari to control the lynux media server/player back in 2000 or so... Crazy me still has about 7 scsi disks full of those crazy mp3's and some are still backed up to data tape back ups...   I bet you they would all fit on a single tiny form factor drive today though....

So no mp3 player? is there any compression afforded through PDM player? SAP just is going to get us there.... very odd stuff...

since we are faster and have very fast mass storage devices....  maybe something along these lines for the Atari 8 bit...

https://brokenbytes.blogspot.com/2018/03/a-48khz-digital-music-player-for.html

although this isn't exactly mp3 either... 4 to 1 compression though....

possible inclusion of mp3 player as feature creep for SIO devices being brewed up today as well?

Don't know but as of yet nothing is readily available out there correct?

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1