IGNORED

The little transformer that could --- BUZZZZ!

dhe

I have two TI Transformers that BUZZ when they are plugged in, and REALLY BUZZ when you turn on the console.

Being the elder geek that I am, I said - "That doesn't sound good!"

So my question is, can these be easily repaired?

Is there a better solution today, then these 40 year old transformers that can be easily implemented?

thanks!

I have two TI Transformers that BUZZ when they are plugged in, and REALLY BUZZ when you turn on the console.

Is there a better solution today, then these 40 year old transformers that can be easily implemented?

thanks!
Google ac transformer buzz

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I have one of these also...:roll:

They're not so easy to open, or to re-close... as I recall!

I'm leaning towards either laminate bonding failure...
or perhaps inner windings shorting out...

The latter being more than somewhat troubling, especially since the fuse adapter is absent on mine!!!:skull:

I keep unplugged.:ponder:

2 hours ago, dhe said:

thanks!

It was my understanding that there was a modern replacement power supply in the works that would use the modern MeanWell external power brick, but I'm starting to get the feeling that it's vaporware.  With that in mind, Ebay is an option, but you take a chance that what you get will also sound like a nest of bees.

As our systems age, specific items are starting to fail, and sadly this is one of them.  As for repairing them, dunno, someone else will have to answer that one.

15 minutes ago, --- Ω --- said:

It was my understanding that there was a modern replacement power supply in the works that would use the modern MeanWell external power brick, but I'm starting to get the feeling that it's vaporware.  With that in mind, Ebay is an option, but you take a chance that what you get will also sound like a nest of bees.

As our systems age, specific items are starting to fail, and sadly this is one of them.  As for repairing them, dunno, someone else will have to answer that one.

It was discussed but never promised in any timeline. Vaporware is something promised that isn't delivered. There were no promises so the imperfection is yours.

I have plenty of 120v TI power supply units in stock that work great. both internal boards and external ac transformers. 

There is no urgency for a replacement external ps. 

17 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

I have plenty of 120v TI power supply units in stock that work great. both internal boards and external ac transformers. 

There is no urgency for a replacement external ps. 

I guess that could be considered a difference of opinion.  I myself have one buzzing power supply and one internal power supply board that gave up the ghost, which leaves me with one unusable TI console sitting torn open in a drawer unused.  I really have no desire to replace nearly 40 year old components with other nearly 40 year old components that have a dubious/questionable life-span.  But, if it's not gonna happen, it's not gonna to happen, and there is nothing I can do about it.  I have limited space, and will probably have to downsize in a year or two, so if it's not fixed by then, it'll go in the garbage as I'm sick of seeing it in it's current state.